Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should the V90 Air conditioning light be permanently on?

Views : 423

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 13:47   #1
martin calva

Default Should the V90 Air conditioning light be permanently on?

This morning, I noticed that the blue light surrounding the air conditioning button on my V90 is lit up, whether or not the button is pushed in.

I have never noticed this before but am inclined to think that it was normally only lit up when the air-con button is pushed in to activate the air conditioning.

Q: Should the air-con button be lit up blue continually or only when the button is pushed in?

Q: If the latter, what should I check? I have the V90 book of electrical diagrams but it is not very helpful, just showing the control unit incorporating the button as a black box.

Many thanks for any help and suggestions.
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:13   #2
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

It will always be on if the selector is turned to de-mist (windows with 3 arrows).

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 17:52   #3
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
It will always be on if the selector is turned to de-mist (windows with 3 arrows).

Cheers
jonnyf90 - Thank you so much. You hit the nail on the head. It never occurred to me that the system would have the intelligence to switch the air-con on even when the button had not been pushed but when dehumidified air was needed.

I'd been assuming that, at least, the push button switch was stuck closed.

Cheers!
Martin
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin calva For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:01   #4
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin calva View Post
jonnyf90 - Thank you so much. You hit the nail on the head. It never occurred to me that the system would have the intelligence to switch the air-con on even when the button had not been pushed but when dehumidified air was needed.

I'd been assuming that, at least, the push button switch was stuck closed.

Cheers!
Martin
I asked myself the very same question when I got my 960!
If you want to save fuel etc, the up/down arrow (screen/feet) provides equally good air to the windscreen without the AC on 👍

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 14:43   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Usually the only cause for alarm is when the light round the A/C button starts flashing - that indicates a fault.

Most A/C systems are set up so that when demist (to the screen usually) is selected, the A/C is automatically triggered to supply conditioned (dried) air to the screen, to provide faster, more effective, demisting. Often this also overrides the temperature setting and changes the temperature to maximum, again for maximum demist.

You may also find that on humid days, the system will switch the A/C on and off even when set at say 21 or 22 degrees. There is also a sunlight sensor (on the left hand dash top speaker grille on mine) which detects if the car has been parked in sunlight and this will force the system into maximum cooling for 5 minutes unless certain other conditions are met - can't remember them all but most are common sense.

Without getting in to the whole "to use or not use and open windows" debate about A/C, it's generally more economical to use the A/C and keep your windows closed than it is to drive along with the windows open because of increased drag. It also keeps the system working as it should as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 02:53   #6
lynns hubby
Master Member

Without getting in to the whole "to use or not use and open windows" debate about A/C, it's generally more economical to use the A/C and keep your windows closed than it is to drive along with the windows open because of increased drag. It also keeps the system working as it should as well. [/QUOTE]

Whole heartedly agreed. I wish I could convince other members of my family!!!!
I was beginning to think I was the only one with this view.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 08:14   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post

Whole heartedly agreed. I wish I could convince other members of my family!!!!
I was beginning to think I was the only one with this view.
I've proven it countless times with my own cars and i'm sure i've seen scientific research online that also confirms it.

All that said, it's a little bit "horses for courses" - if you do a lot of town driving there's probably very little in it and opening the windows wouldn't help much as you'd be moving too slow for any real benefit. However the A/C will still pump out cold air even in town.

On the open road, the drag from an open window is certainly going to impact the fuel economy, a well-filled A/C system will definitely be more economical against that!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 09:41   #8
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I read a good guide about the use of AC a while back and what I do is set off with all the windows down (easy in my 940 with all electric ones!) for a short distance with the AC on incoming fresh air. After 30s or so the air in the car is a degree or two cooler with fresh air in it so then I put the windows up and turn air con to re-circ until desired temperature is inside the cabin. I then turn it back to fresh air air-con as I don’t like the stale feel of re-circ.
This works well as on a hot day the temp in the car is always higher than outside with stale air so you may as well have the windows open for a short while to get the inside temp down to the outside temp and freshen things up a bit.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post: