Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to install Genuine Volvo Sat Nav/DAB radio

Views : 1679

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2018, 23:44   #1
bigdave0829

Default How to install Genuine Volvo Sat Nav/DAB radio

Just recently purchased a 2013 XC90 SE, looking to install the Volvo pop-up SAT-NAV system, and see if I can upgrade my current radio/stereo to genuine Volvo DAB system.

For the Sat-Nav will the wiring already be there for the pop-up screen and housing, as I've just got the blank grille on top of the dash. And whereabouts would the CD-Rom drive for the discs go to install that maps?

And can I upgrade the standard radio to a DAB system with a genuine Volvo part?

Thanks for any advice and help
bigdave0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:41   #2
binty

Smile Try this link for instructions on installing Volvo nav

Hi, the instructions from Volvo are available online.
I searched on XC90 navigation installation instructions and found the PDF on a site from RU.
http://ftp.clubvolvo.ru/CARS%20DOCS%...1260737_en.pdf
(I had come across it once before when looking for something else).
Good luck.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 22:12   #3
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave0829 View Post
Just recently purchased a 2013 XC90 SE, looking to install the Volvo pop-up SAT-NAV system, and see if I can upgrade my current radio/stereo to genuine Volvo DAB system.

For the Sat-Nav will the wiring already be there for the pop-up screen and housing, as I've just got the blank grille on top of the dash. And whereabouts would the CD-Rom drive for the discs go to install that maps?

I understand you're looking for the genuine solution, as someone with a '13 with Nav, I recommend you consider an aftermarket solution like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNDgMw98mOs

The Volvo solution is very expensive to install after the fact, requires dealer programming, requires multiple cables to be installed, etc.
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 06:52   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
The Volvo solution is very expensive to install after the fact, requires dealer programming, requires multiple cables to be installed, etc.
...but works extremely well and is totally integrated with the vehicle's audio and control systems and the phone, and allows you to dial phone numbers from the nav, ensure nav messages don't get missed when traffic messages or phone calls are in progress, allow steering wheel and remote controls, and much more.

Some people don't like the graphics, but that's a personal preference.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 07:27   #5
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
...but works extremely well and is totally integrated with the vehicle's audio and control systems and the phone, and allows you to dial phone numbers from the nav, ensure nav messages don't get missed when traffic messages or phone calls are in progress, allow steering wheel and remote controls, and much more.

Some people don't like the graphics, but that's a personal preference.
Good point. To achieve the same level of integration, I read you can still use the steering wheel controls via an adaptor - he currently wouldn't have the steering wheel joystick and would have to install it (or just use Google assistant). Next, these Android nav units can act as a bluetooth host and client. On the '13, you would set the audio on the bluetooth input, connect the phone to the head unit, and the Android head unit would manage the audio priority (google maps over music).

To the OP, keep in mind this is coming from an EE who likes tinkering with things. I prefer feature packed and flexibility vs simple. I've also been frustrated with my VNS' coverage in Canada. I used to get the free MapCare maps and the VNS would always be missing addresses on road trips (when they've been the same for 70+ years). Maybe it's better in Europe.
I've been using my VNS as an ETA calculator on roadtrips - I usually end up using Google / Apple maps and pipe the audio over Bluetooth.

Last edited by GenericVolvoDriver; Sep 26th, 2018 at 07:30.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 10:31   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
I've also been frustrated with my VNS' coverage in Canada. I used to get the free MapCare maps and the VNS would always be missing addresses on road trips (when they've been the same for 70+ years). Maybe it's better in Europe.
From 2009, Volvo now buy their map data from HERE.
(Previously it was someone else, I forget who. And newer vehicles form around 2019 or 2020 will use another map data supplier, I believe maybe TomTom??)

So check your map release date. Is it newer than 2009? If so, it is based on the HERE map data.
You can check the HERE map data coverage and accuracy direct on the HERE website:
https://wego.here.com/

Note of course that some delay will occur between data displayed on the website and release of new map discs by Volvo. These delays can typically be in the order of months. All depends as to exactly when Volvo took the snapshot of the HERE data to create their map discs.

But if the HERE map now contains streets that you knew to be previously missing in your area, then you can expect such streets to be available on a future release of the Volvo map discs.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 11:06   #7
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
From 2009, Volvo now buy their map data from HERE.
(Previously it was someone else, I forget who. And newer vehicles form around 2019 or 2020 will use another map data supplier, I believe maybe TomTom??)

So check your map release date. Is it newer than 2009? If so, it is based on the HERE map data.
You can check the HERE map data coverage and accuracy direct on the HERE website:
https://wego.here.com/

Note of course that some delay will occur between data displayed on the website and release of new map discs by Volvo. These delays can typically be in the order of months. All depends as to exactly when Volvo took the snapshot of the HERE data to create their map discs.

But if the HERE map now contains streets that you knew to be previously missing in your area, then you can expect such streets to be available on a future release of the Volvo map discs.
It used to be Navteq before Nokia bought them. The mapping division then changed its name to here. Eventually it was spun out of Nokia.

Cool on that link.
Tested it on some of the addresses I was having issues with, seems to be errors in Here's data (one address has been the same since 1920). Submitted 2 error reports. Google had no issue nor Apple Maps back when I had that issue.

I think the future is Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. Most of these Android head units just need a special usb-usb adaptor and an app called zbox and you can use CarPlay / Android Auto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otdQzFU_vP0

My neighbor was showing me his new Android head unit the other day and I was really impressed.

Last edited by GenericVolvoDriver; Sep 26th, 2018 at 11:09.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 13:44   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave0829 View Post

\here is the volvo kit , no DAB option available .

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-482656/2013
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 14:48   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
\here is the volvo kit , no DAB option available
DAB was never available as a built-in native DAB component to the XC90 audio system

Volvo UK did offer a DAB add-on, which is an external DAB receiver connected to the AUX-IN of the audio system

The DAB had a small control unit fitted between radio and air vents.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 16:40   #10
MarcX

Quote:
DAB was never available as a built-in native DAB component to the XC90 audio system

Volvo UK did offer a DAB add-on, which is an external DAB receiver connected to the AUX-IN of the audio system

The DAB had a small control unit fitted between radio and air vents.
I see they offer this:
https://www.bellsmotorgroup.co.uk/vo...fers/dabradio/
MarcX is offline   Reply With Quote