Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Bi-Fuel 2003 (LPG)

Views : 2727

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2015, 11:01   #1
Veefor
VOC Member

Default S60 Bi-Fuel 2003 (LPG)

I was hoping somebody in this section has or have had one and would like to know what they thought of it.
I've searched forum and can't come up with anything other than the sales brochures etc.
Done the Google thing but I really wanted opinions from people on here as its not too biased(ok well maybe it is a bit, it's a Volvo forum so not many haters here)
Where they recognised as being a good LPG car as they were factory fitted and not aftermarket?
Any help will be great.
Thanks.
Veefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 23:26   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The factory fit is not a great system and does have issues. After market conversions are your best bet.

The factory fit can be ok but make sure you budget some funds for fixing the LPG system
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:57   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

After inital problems with mine, I've going into my 5th year trouble free. I personally prefer the factory system as its neat and tidy. Decent lpg guys can overhaul the distributor and regulator which are the main problem areas.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 08:02   #4
Veefor
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The factory fit is not a great system and does have issues. After market conversions are your best bet.

The factory fit can be ok but make sure you budget some funds for fixing the LPG system
So what preventative maintainance should be done on a regular schedule and should I swap,out the stepper before it goes with a modded one like bnib fuels talks about?
Thanks.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 20:16   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I put a new distributor on mine 4 years ago, changed the lpg filter every 10k, so far no issues. I've went for a different filter off ebay as £99 every time for the Volvo one was just crazy!
Regulator was leaking gas into the vacuum side of things and overfueling, causing hard start problems. Replaced with a 2nd hand unit and been fine since.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 20:58   #6
Veefor
VOC Member

Sent PM NUT
The Following User Says Thank You to Veefor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 01:01   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I've banged-on a fair bit about hte factory BiFuels. Easy enough to sort and maintain, the issues they do have are those that the LPG industry seems not to grasp universally.

Regulator diapham can cause poor starting , but is fixed for £30 in parts, steppers are pricey, but I fix these. Put a filter into the pipe between the reg and dizzy (many have a poor one or none at all). Filter can be had for £3-4.00 on ebay. As the man says £90 from Volvo is madness. Keep the dizzy spotless with injector cleaner or see a big bill.

How to do all thsi has been trotted out so many tiems , you'll not need it here.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 30th, 2015 at 01:05.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2016, 22:35   #8
littlejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I've banged-on a fair bit about hte factory BiFuels. Easy enough to sort and maintain, the issues they do have are those that the LPG industry seems not to grasp universally.

Regulator diapham can cause poor starting , but is fixed for £30 in parts, steppers are pricey, but I fix these. Put a filter into the pipe between the reg and dizzy (many have a poor one or none at all). Filter can be had for £3-4.00 on ebay. As the man says £90 from Volvo is madness. Keep the dizzy spotless with injector cleaner or see a big bill.

How to do all thsi has been trotted out so many tiems , you'll not need it here.
HI I note your comment that regulator diaphragm can cause poor starting. I have very poor starting with my factory fit S60 Bi-fuel. As the car does of course always start on petrol I never gave it a moments thought that the gas system could be the cause of poor starting, what you have said could be a eureka moment! Can you tell me where I can get the £30 worth of parts I need to replace the diaphragm? Also it does look a bit hard to get at, I guess I will have to take the radiator out to get access?
Thanks.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 00:20   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Answered in the other thread, these systems are easy to fix. Whilst pros like Classicswede are not so keen, and compared to the latest and greatest I'm sure he's and the others are right, but all I want is something that works. The Necam does this provided you look after it.

And I have my head round the things, so something more complicated I won't understand or will have to learn again, is no good to me.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 00:28   #10
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If it is the diaphram they can whistle on gas. Some don't. Mine did.