Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 D5 215bhp remap query.

Views : 4940

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2018, 21:25   #1
jamesmark
Part of a nanny state

Default 2014 D5 215bhp remap query.

Hi

Recently purchased a 2014 V70 D5 215bhp auto model. Looking to get it remapped after Volvo warranty expires next year. I have searched the forum, but can’t find previous threads if anyone has done theirs, I am sure there has been.

So has anyone remapped their’s, any complications and is it a great difference?

Thanks in advance

Mark
jamesmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 07:03   #2
pacman67
VOC Member

Volvo Polestar remap, discounted at the moment and won't affect warranty or any danger of damage. Mine is done and I think it is more than enough at 230bhp.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacman67 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 09:43   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

What's the discount and from who?
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 22:23   #4
pacman67
VOC Member

Main dealers only, was over eight hundred around six fifty now I think. See volvo accessories website and its on there.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 08:40   #5
jamesmark
Part of a nanny state

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman67 View Post
Volvo Polestar remap, discounted at the moment and won't affect warranty or any danger of damage. Mine is done and I think it is more than enough at 230bhp.
Thanks for reply.

When you say damage, what documented issues with other maps have been known?

Anyone gone for a different remap company i.e. Evolution etc, as Polestar at a whopping discounted rate of £650 for very little gain, is bitter pill to swallow. That's more than double from other reputable mapping companies.

Just wishing to do home work before deciding.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 10:28   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

On cars with automatic transmission, the Polestar remap also changes the management characteristics of the transmission control system. I believe it transforms the car. So you actually get two remaps for your money, engine and transmission. I've driven cars with much better automatic transmission systems and it's the only area of disappointment I have with my XC70. When I can put my hands on the required cash, I would like to have the Polestar remap.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 19:04   #7
volvocat

In addition to improving engine and transmission as Tatsfield correctly says, Polestar is fully compatible with (designed exclusively for) the car’s systems and will not be ovewritten/deleted by Volvo diagnostics or software upgrades at service time - unlike most after-market/third-party remaps, which means you could be faced with getting them re-done very time; a false economy if ever there was one.
And don't think it won’t affect your car if you don’t use a main dealer - even dedicated independents have to have access to Volvo systems to do services properly.
So maybe a little more to begin with, but well worthwhile - IMO.
Current offer is £695, regular price for most is £835 (I think), but some models can be over £900.

I’ve had two cars Polestarred and will be collecting a third next week with it installed. No brainer for me...!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 08:39   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would agree with above comments and also add there have been a fair few threads in recent months where people have had the higher efficiency Volvo engines re-mapped (twin turbo D5 & VEA) by small independent tuners with disappointing results (limp mode, warning lights, blocked DPF's, un-even powerbands etc.)

You have a car you probably made more than £15k for - don't cripple it trying to save a few quid.

If you don't go down the Polestar route - MTE and RICA seem to get good reviews on here - but you will not get the benefit of the TCM update which is a kay part of the Polestar package.

Your insurer is also more likely to be sympathetic to the Polestar package as it's a sold through the Volvo network and badged as "software optimisation".
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 21:10   #9
jamesmark
Part of a nanny state

Thanks for the replies, I am not opposed to the Polestar map, but just question the minimal gains for the inflated price. But price is not a concern as it is only £700, However having had performance cars (Supra’s & 200sx etc) in past I do like to do things the right way.

My car if I am being honest will probably never see a Volvo service centre again, the garage I have used for years has served me well. He looked after my XC70 & Ford Focus, sorry I meant V50.

Final question really, the small gains you get from the polestar is it noticeable being on 15bhp and similar torque gain. Also I assume the MPG is better but not by much?

Again thanks for the help.

Mark
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 17:53   #10
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmark View Post
Thanks for the replies, I am not opposed to the Polestar map, but just question the minimal gains for the inflated price. But price is not a concern as it is only £700, However having had performance cars (Supra’s & 200sx etc) in past I do like to do things the right way.

My car if I am being honest will probably never see a Volvo service centre again, the garage I have used for years has served me well. He looked after my XC70 & Ford Focus, sorry I meant V50.

Final question really, the small gains you get from the polestar is it noticeable being on 15bhp and similar torque gain. Also I assume the MPG is better but not by much?

Again thanks for the help.

Mark
It is claimed mpg is unaffected (no better, no worse) which may be true in 'normal' driving but increased performance invites a heavier right foot which, in turn, obviously brings fuel penalties, so depends how you drive.
As for the relatively small gains on paper (on screen?), it's more a matter of how it feels and what it gives you in practice, so you really do need to try it in your car, on your regular routes - which is why they offer a 14-day trial period.
With the best will in the world, a V/XC70 is never going to be a sportscar but the idea of P* is to improve driveability/practicality, particularly in overtaking ability, hence the gains are mostly mid-range, rather than for racing hot hatches away from the lights!
I live in an area some distance from the motorway network, most A-Roads being single carriageway, long-distance lorries usually limited to 40mph and farm tractors etc. even slower so yes, in dealing with them more effectively I find the extra power noticeable - and very useful - used wisely, of course...
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post: