Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!! Need 0W-20 oil (Bristol)

Views : 2605

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2018, 19:46   #1
Miyo360

Exclamation !! Need 0W-20 oil (Bristol)

Hi.

Having driven up from Cornwall yesterday to Bristol for a two night stopover before continuing to London, I had a warning to top up 0.5 litres of oil. I'm trying to find 0W-20 oil but, as mentioned on this forum, it isn't available in Halfords, etc.

The Bristol Volvo dealer parts department was shut Saturday afternoon (by the time I had realised it isn't a standard oil available at Halfords) so couldn't help me. They said come back Monday - but I need to drive back to London tomorrow (Sunday).

Amazon prime won't deliver until Monday. Euro car parts have it on their website and one of their Bristol stores is open tomorrow so I can try them in the morning

Does anyone near Bristol (or anywhere on M4 corridor) have 1L of spare 0W-20 sitting around?

At a push, could I substitute with any other oil? To confuse matters, the oil warning changes between 0.5 and 1litre warnings. The salesman at the dealer said (I should take this with a pinch of salt) that I shouldn't drive it to London without filling up.

Anyone got any practical suggestions??

Car is XC60, MY15, 2.0L 181BHP

Many thanks in advance.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 20:17   #2
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Theres been a bit if edjumacated discussion about oils on here recently, viscisity being only a part of the equation. You need to know the full spec of the oil, ie A5-B5 etc.
As its a top-up, Id go for the exact spec in 0w30, failing that, 5w30.
Choose one that staes it meets volvo-123 or whatever.

And no, dont do a 200-mile round trip starting with low oil, consquences could be very expensive

Next week perhaps you could dl you own oil change with the correct stuff, keeping the leftover in the car for future need.
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 20:20   #3
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Hopefully you'll get some, but if euro dont have any or anyone on here, at a pinch you could use 0w30 C2 spec (the very nearest oil to the volvo stuff) and top up the absolute bare minimum until it stops wailing at you.

The 0w20 volvo spec has specific parameters, and the engine is designed to work with it, anything too different in too high a quantity wont do it any favours. The volvo spec is designed around C5 spec, do not use C3, C4, A3/B4.

C2 is the nearest, then A5/B5 or C1 after that. Dont go higher than 0w30. If they have 0w20 A1/B1 that would be ok too, the a1/b1 spec has been discontinued but they might have old stock...

If eurocarparts etc tells you different to sell you any old sh1t, ignore them, honestly, theyll flog you owt half the time. If they dont have 0w20 C5/volvo spec, they will have something listed above.

Also google local motor factors, there may be an indy open who has something.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jul 14th, 2018 at 20:38.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 21:28   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Hi.

Having driven up from Cornwall yesterday to Bristol for a two night stopover before continuing to London, I had a warning to top up 0.5 litres of oil. I'm trying to find 0W-20 oil but, as mentioned on this forum, it isn't available in Halfords, etc.

The Bristol Volvo dealer parts department was shut Saturday afternoon (by the time I had realised it isn't a standard oil available at Halfords) so couldn't help me. They said come back Monday - but I need to drive back to London tomorrow (Sunday).

Amazon prime won't deliver until Monday. Euro car parts have it on their website and one of their Bristol stores is open tomorrow so I can try them in the morning

Does anyone near Bristol (or anywhere on M4 corridor) have 1L of spare 0W-20 sitting around?

At a push, could I substitute with any other oil? To confuse matters, the oil warning changes between 0.5 and 1litre warnings. The salesman at the dealer said (I should take this with a pinch of salt) that I shouldn't drive it to London without filling up.

Anyone got any practical suggestions??

Car is XC60, MY15, 2.0L 181BHP

Many thanks in advance.
The unique specification for this 0w/20 oil is VCC RBS0-2AE
a number of manufactures are making the correct oil now with this specification including Q8 and Total . However it won't be available on the shelf of a normal outlet .
I would put in 1/2 litre of 0w/30 A4.B5 , it will get you home , then go for a complete oil change as soon as you can , might be a good idea to keep an eye on the oil gauge daily to spot any trends .. When was the oil last changed and by whom ? If by any chance you have to do it yourself drain until all is out including the filter , then put in EXACTLY 5 litres to avoid upsetting the level sensor , strictly the sensor has to be reset at the dealer , it then takes what ever level is in there to be the correct level .
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 21:37   #5
Miyo360

Exclamation

Hi and thanks for the very prompt replies.

Having checked Euro Car Parts website, the appear to have the following in stock at their only Bristol store that is open on Sundays...

Gulf Ultrasynth X Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1ltr £12.49 >> 1 in stock
TRIPLE QX Synplus Fully Synthetic Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1ltr £12.99 (or 5L £51.49) >> 2 in stock

I haven't heard of either of these brands - does anyone have an opinion??

Much appreciated again.
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 21:46   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Gulf, anyday.
Have you ever seen the old blue and orange racing cars from 50's to '80's? They were Gulf cars, its a big name worldwide and has been for donkeys, just not here in the mainstream.
It might come down to whats instore. Its just a top-up!

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jul 14th, 2018 at 21:49.
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 21:54   #7
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
When was the oil last changed and by whom ?
I didn't want to muddy this conversation by mentioning but the car is two months old for me, I bought at the start of May. It's a 64 plate MY15, high mileage (108,000) with full Volvo service history. I don't have the service book with me in Bristol, but the last service would have been at least Jan (3yr anniversary), or perhaps later.

How often should I expect to top up the oil? Assuming the oil was changed in Jan, is losing 0.5 to 1 litre 'normal' over that time? Probably done near 8,000 miles in that time.

No leaks noticed on the floor, no smoke out exhaust, no smells...
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 22:06   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Half a litre in 8k isnt owt to worry about. Its a very light oil so some will be evaporation not just consumption.
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 22:10   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Hi and thanks for the very prompt replies.

Having checked Euro Car Parts website, the appear to have the following in stock at their only Bristol store that is open on Sundays...

Gulf Ultrasynth X Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1ltr £12.49 >> 1 in stock
TRIPLE QX Synplus Fully Synthetic Engine Oil - 0W-20 - 1ltr £12.99 (or 5L £51.49) >> 2 in stock

I haven't heard of either of these brands - does anyone have an opinion??

Much appreciated again.
yes I would use that over the 0w/30 but remember it is NOT the volvo specification oil so changing the lot when you get back is a good idea .
these engines are not prone to using oil , but the person who changed it last might not have done it correctly as I described above .. so when you get it home get it changed at the dealer properly , reminding them to reset the oil gauge which they have to do when they change the oil ...
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 22:32   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

^wot he said!
Dont worry though, the dilution of the top up oil wont alter the oil as a whole to any significance, but, its wise to get it refreshed nonetheless, and after 8k its ideally getting ready for a service (10-12k is optimal, the extended oci's manufacturers specify run the oil right into the ground, its not great for the engine long-term, though it can be -ok-)

Tags
0w-20, my15, oil