Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater fan blower motor removal - beware

Views : 626

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2018, 02:42   #1
SwedeXC90

Default Heater fan blower motor removal - beware

Took out the heater fan from the XC90 D5 the other day and what an awesomely complicated job so a few tips for anyone wanting to get rid of that annoying squeak.

- First off, don't order a new blower motor from FCP or IPD as the American LHD cars have a mirror image reverse motor screw clip layout. I found this out the hard way as I ordered a new one and it looks great, until you try and fit it in and realise the screw holes are in the wrong place. Anyone need a new LHD blower motor???
- Secondly, on RHD cars this is a really hard job as the front left screw can not be undone. The head of the screw sits about 4mm above the steal of the bulkhead/arch. One has to break the plastic tab off this screw to remove the unit which is easier said than done. I broke the good screw tab (rear left) that you can undo trying to break the tab off the one you can't undo so try and avoid that
- Once the screws you can get are out and you have broken the plastic tab off the one you can't, it is really hard to wriggle the blower motor out and some sound deadening will need to be cut out at the front to allow the motor to be removed.
- I then screwed the screw down you can't get out with a pair of pointy nose plyiers until it hit the bulkhead, then cut the head off with a hacksaw blade, then screwed the remaining part of the screw out. I did this thinking the new fan I bought would fit in but if you are fitting your old one then you can leave this screw in.
- Once out, blow the carbon from the motor and oil/grease bushes. Clean off any rubbish from the aluminum heat sink/resistor.
- To get in, I had to remove a fair chunk of the sound deadening up under the front of the fan as there was no way I could get it back up into place otherwise. It looked awful and had to butcher it out as it is hard to cut.
- Slip the fan assembly back in and put screws back in.
- Maker it look as good as you can with wiring and sound deadening you would have disturbed. Put the drain pipe back on.
- Enjoy low fan speeds without the squeak!

Some photos attached:
You can see the old RHD motor next to the new LHD motor in the photos.
You can see the screw that you can't get in the other photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5684 (1024x768).jpg (197.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5685 (1024x768).jpg (147.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5686 (1024x768).jpg (127.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5688 (1024x768).jpg (145.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5689 (1024x768).jpg (161.5 KB, 35 views)
SwedeXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SwedeXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:01   #2
binty

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the write up and pictures.
I have done mine three times now, (due to being too tight to buy a new fan).
I have managed to get my fans in and out without cutting the bulkhead sound deadening but it is a real pain, physically as well as metaphorically.
Pulling the motor down a fraction then rotating it about a third of a turn anti clockwise eases the process. (As does hanging upside down with my legs over the back of the passenger seat to get my head where I can see, and I am getting too old for it).

The first time I replace the resistor with one from eBay as it had overheated, (Failed after a few months)
The next time was with a second hand fan, it squeaked so I sprayed the bearing with lithium grease, don't do this!!!
It worked great for a while then failed, when I removed it, the lithium grease it had set like plasticine, making the fan stiff to rotate and causing the failure.

Third time lucky with another second hand fan.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binty For This Useful Post: