Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector change update-Bosch Gen 1 to Gen 3

Views : 2529

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 00:15   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
Hmmm, this thread has my beard twitching.

I appreciate that people often upgrade the injectors on turbo cars to allow for mods etc, but I can't help but wonder if there's a decent/modern and easy to fit replacement for the standard green 0280150804 injectors to suit standard cars that don't require resistor mods etc...
Looking on the Bosch website, it throws up this as the replacement for yours Joe :

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...tId=0280156146

It also throws up the same injectors as i used - however i would suspect that's for the N/asp engines as the 804 came up as being for the turbo in all the searches.

Can't seem to get any other results tonight, my internet has been playing up today and has only just come back up, i'll have a better look tomorrow.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 06:46   #22
LPTJoe

Interesting.

The 146 injectors only seem to be suitable for NA cars according to most sellers though....
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 08:03   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Interesting.

The 146 injectors only seem to be suitable for NA cars according to most sellers though....
Unless you look on ebay.com where they're listed as only for turbo cars. The 045s as i fitted to mine only flow 200cc/min@3 bar but i can't find the figures for the 146 which is annoying to put it politely!

I'll do a bit more digging today (as long as my internet doesn't die again like yesterday!) and see what i can find.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 08:57   #24
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Firstly, big thanks to Phil for reminding me of this upgrade and secondly, for giving me the inspiration to do it on mine! Finally got round to doing it today, after the injectors landed the other day :

Just to get a "base" figure, i went out the other day armed with my trusty Gunsons Gasteseter and took a reading at idle - i was expecting (hoping for!) 1%CO at idle as that's what i'd previously set it at last year just before the MoT.

It showed 0.9%CO which could well be down to the nice new, clean, air filter! Then, for no apparent reason, it shot up to 2.6% and started running like a hatful of monkeys a***holes :

In other words, how it's sometimes been running lately and stenching of petrol at the same time - if i've left the car alone for a while, it's been a pig to start (hot or cold) after that, especially if it stinks of fuel when i get in.

When i was doing the air filter i kept getting a whiff of BP Ultimate from the inlet trunking and to be honest, that was the final piece of the jigsaw for me. Told me one or more injectors are leaking when they shouldn't be - the high CO reading simply confirmed that!

Here's a close up of the squirty end of the new injectors - note the 4 spots - those are the pintles that inject the fuel. Only one on the old ones.

Third injector from the left, the pintle is partly withdrawn as if injecting - should be out! Proof positive my theory was correct!

Anyway, back to the actual job of replacing them!

First, i popped off the clips from the injectors, noticing that injectors 2, 3 and 4 were a bit tighter than the other three. More of this later!

One bank of injectors disconnected ^^^^^ and the other bank :

Right hand bank fuel rail unbolted from the inlet manifold :

Left bank and FPR unbolted :

New injectors ready to go in after giving the "O" rings a vital bit of lube to help them "slip in nicely" - oooooo-errrrrr missus!

Right bank of new injectors in place :

Left bank looked the same from the other side!

All bolts etc replaced (except one i dropped, it might surface one day unexpectedly but not a problem for now) and i decided that seeing as the new injectors had the grooves for the clips, i would fit them anyway - "belt & braces" so to speak.

Fired up and it coughed and spluttered a bit until the fuel rail had fully pressurised then it ran perfectly on all..................... errrrr............ five!

The problem was #3 injector - i hadn't quite pushed the injector connector plug fully home! Pushed it fully on, the click i heard previously thinking the wire clip was going over the lugs was in fact the wire clip popping off the lugs! D'oh!

Anyway, fired it up again and it ran nice and smooth on all 6, still slightly hesitant at first which i'm fairly sure was down to the injectors probably being a bit dry, then it smoothed out to smoother than it had been on the old injectors.

The "proper" test drive came at walkies time. At first, it didn't seem that different then i pulled out of the cul-de-sac i live in and tickled the loud pedal how i normally would to get to the next junction. I don't usually have to brake for that junction, just ease up on the loud pedal - 'nuff said!

Being a bit more gentle, at least until i had room to be a bit more adventurous without speed humps, potholes and pedestrians getting in the way, i noticed it was much smoother and i now had throttle response - instantly!
Before it always responded but was a case of sending the engine a polite request by carrier pigeon and hoping! Now it's much more "now if not sooner".

Generally speaking it's much smoother and i can make better progress at lighter throttle openings. The most impressive bit is what i've decided to call the "wall of torque".
Being a 90 degree V6, it always was a torquey unit but now it feels like all the torque is available at much lower engine speeds. It feels like no matter what or when, firstly it responds instantly and secondly, it's much livelier because of the better torque delivery.

This should (eventually) translate into better fuel economy, for now that "wall of torque" is incredibly addictive!

For those that are wondering, mine hasn't taken time to re-learn fuel trims etc because it has no Lambda sensor, no cat and no feedback system - all the improvement is simply down to the injectors!

I will check and if necessary adjust the CO in a few days time once the injectors have bedded in a bit. Next job on the agenda is the valve clearances, it's sounding a wee bit tappety!

Then the LPG conversion and get the A/C going again but those are for other threads!
Really interesting read, I’m glad the new injectors worked a well for you as they did for me! I need to do my valve clearances at some point too. The lower end torque boost definitely helped my B200, it had very little low-end grunt previously but the new injectors definitely boosted the driveability in that area, initially it seemed like they flattened the torque curve but after driving it for a while I noticed that it had just shifted things a bit further south, thus placing less emphasis on the tendency on the motor coming to life at around 3200 as it did before. Really worthwhile!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 09:24   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Really interesting read, I’m glad the new injectors worked a well for you as they did for me! I need to do my valve clearances at some point too. The lower end torque boost definitely helped my B200, it had very little low-end grunt previously but the new injectors definitely boosted the driveability in that area, initially it seemed like they flattened the torque curve but after driving it for a while I noticed that it had just shifted things a bit further south, thus placing less emphasis on the tendency on the motor coming to life at around 3200 as it did before. Really worthwhile!
Thanks Phil!

Mine was similar before, coming to life about 3500rpm so i'm guessing that the dirt/blockages in the injectors in mine were restricting it up to that point then they were open long enough for the dirt to be overcome bu quantity of fuel. The previous owner had it about 10 years as far as i can work out and i think he was a bit too gentle on the loud pedal.

Since i adjusted the idle mixture, the torque has done the same as yours and shifted further down the rev range with no feel of overfueling at the high end.

I'll have to see how the fuel economy is effected, hopefully improved! Starting is certainly more consistent, both hot and cold so that's a good start (pardon the pun!) and no more petrol-pong when i get in either! No pong after giving it the beans is an added bonus!

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:11   #26
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Hmmm, this thread has my beard twitching.

I appreciate that people often upgrade the injectors on turbo cars to allow for mods etc, but I can't help but wonder if there's a decent/modern and easy to fit replacement for the standard green 0280150804 injectors to suit standard cars that don't require resistor mods etc...
850 turbo orange injectors are a close match to the 940 turbo green ones, both flow 310cc at 3 bar with the orange ones having the more modern 4-hole pintle design. 0280155831 is the part number.

Beware of cheap chinese Bosch copies on ebay. I bought the 0280155830 blue injectors from a reputable seller stocking genuine stuff, they cost £70 each.

Noting to be scared of with the resistor mod. It doesn't hack up the wiring and is completely reversible.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 20:16   #27
bob12
bob12

Just one question which I am sure has been answered indirectly
herein, but .... will those Bosch Gen 3 injectors go nicely as replacements in my B200F with LH2.4/EKZ16 .... it seems so?

P.S. I also have one of those little Gunson GasTesters (might be Mk1 !!), but haven't used it since my 244DL years when it worked an absolute treat!!

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 21:36   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
herein, but .... will those Bosch Gen 3 injectors go nicely as replacements in my B200F with LH2.4/EKZ16 .... it seems so?

P.S. I also have one of those little Gunson GasTesters (might be Mk1 !!), but haven't used it since my 244DL years when it worked an absolute treat!!

Bob.
Sounds very much the same spec as Phils car Bob so should give similar results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:21   #29
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post

Bob.
I have the same motor as your in all respects, Bob, as Dave suggested-they work brilliantly in mine, and have improved the car massively!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:11   #30
TomSaintJames

Apologies in reviving an old thread, I have been brainstorming on ways to improve our B200E in the Hearse prior to an engine upgrade to a 2.5 using a penta AQ151 block.

My question is, as the 531 head is not readily compatible with K-Jetronic injection due to different injectors and locations (learnt this yesterday) we will be keeping the current head and injection system. Could I benefit from an injector upgrade in a similar fashion to that seen on this thread? If so are there any recommendations anyone knows of? I am aware that the K-Jet uses mechanical injectors (more like a presuure valve), which appear quite different to modern EFI injectors.

The internet is unusually quiet on K-Jet injectors and upgrades, but what I have found is as below, I don't know but it seems as the last three digit value increases, so does the power/engine size of their application, I couldn't find any info on flow rates etc but that may well be not apllicable due to the inherent differences between these and modern injectors.

Volvo B200E standard 0 437 502 015
Volvo B200ET standard 0 437 502 020
Volvo B280E standard 0 437 502 022
Volvo group A 'gold' or Mercedes Benz brass upgrade injectors 0 437 502 047

Interestingly the 047 brass types are about £22 each whereas the others are £30 to £50 each

I'd appreciate some wisdom on this! Thanks.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Feb 9th, 2020 at 13:16.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post: