Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel fitment 940.

Views : 8439

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:17   #31
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Get yourself 25mm H&R hubcentric spacers - and any FWD wheels (16", 17" 18" - offset 43) ) will fit and fill the arches nicely.

The only 17" RWD offset (25) wheels are Polaris - which are as rare as hen's teeth.

I had 17" Canistos (with 225/45r17) from a C70 on my old 940 and they fitted like a beaut!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ovlov.jpg (58.5 KB, 20 views)

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 15:41   #32
XCR
Master Member

Thats the plan ! A couple of pages back I posted a Youtube viddy of a Swedish guy fitting 25mm H&R then bolting on some snazzy R-Design alloys....a little too modern (and pricey) for my tastes but my eyes are peeled for the right set.
Your car looks great by the way !
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:18   #33
jonnyf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Thats the plan ! A couple of pages back I posted a Youtube viddy of a Swedish guy fitting 25mm H&R then bolting on some snazzy R-Design alloys....a little too modern (and pricey) for my tastes but my eyes are peeled for the right set.
Your car looks great by the way !
Long gone to the scrapyard in the sky unfortunately.
Buyer ripped the engine and gearbox and scrapped the rest! 😢

The spacers, while being a few quid, open you up to the whole world of later wheels - more 17/18” options from x70s and allow running of 225 tyres 👍

Be wary though, late 960s, while being RWD, have FWD offsets, so you’ll still need spacers (although most 960 wheel options are **** IMO! &#129315

Cheers

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 19:16   #34
Shortos

Just bought a 940 and am looking to go down this route. I currently have a lowered 240 on 25mm spacers and 16” Columbia (I think) alloys. They are the 850 T5 wheels.
I have zero issues with these and I assume using the same set up they will slot straight onto my 940 no issues as well.. would I be correct in assuming this?

Many thanks

PS I have tried searching but can find no images of a 940 on Columbia’s, I hope this doesn’t mean they look awful!
Shortos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:32   #35
jonnyf90

Yes the 240/740/940 offsets are all the same so no problems. They’ll fit the arches nicely and look good too!

Cheers

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:40   #36
Shortos

Cheers mate..
No I’ve bothered to do my research they are Columba not Columbia and I’ve found plenty of images.. I’ll crack on with this tomorrow

Cheers
Shortos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 21:49   #37
XCR
Master Member

I currently have a set of 16" Auriga Alloys wearing 205 55 16 rubber and I've been offered some excellent winter tyres which are 215 60 16.
On the tyre size calculator I've used, these are a little larger in circumference with the speedo under reading fractionally.
This I can live with and I'm sure the cathedral-like space within the arches can cope but are there any other hidden implications I may be overlooking ?
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:26   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
I currently have a set of 16" Auriga Alloys wearing 205 55 16 rubber and I've been offered some excellent winter tyres which are 215 60 16.
On the tyre size calculator I've used, these are a little larger in circumference with the speedo under reading fractionally.
This I can live with and I'm sure the cathedral-like space within the arches can cope but are there any other hidden implications I may be overlooking ?
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Only one i can think of is the obvious one, snow tyres ideally want to be tall and skinny so 165/15 on a set of old 140/240 series steelies for winter would be perfect.

However, if you want to keep the 16" wheels, the 215/60/16 will cause a bigger speedo error than you already have, reading 70 when you're doing probably 55. If you download a GPS speedo app such as "Speedy", you'll probably find that at 70 mph indicated on the speedo, you're only doing 60-62mph in real life. Volvo speedos are notoriously over-optimistic!

I find this tyre size calculator easier to use :

https://www.etyres.co.uk/how-to-change-your-tyre-size/

Firstly, it's in English instead of American English so the tyres it finds will be more likely to be available here and secondly, i find it more user-friendly.

Give it a try, you might find it easier, if not you've not lost anything.

If you're able to find 175/70/16 they'd probably be about the best compromise between what you need for snow/ice and fitting on the 16" wheels. I'm not even sure it's a "real" size as in one that is manufactured though.

Snow tyres can help a lot in ice and snow but wear quicker on dry roads and i've heard mixed reports about their grip on dry roads, some say it's not as good, others say it's about the same as normal tyres. All say they're better in snow/ice though.

There's no clear answers that i know of, like tyres in general they tend to be a bit of a subjective thing and opniions can vary a lot throughout the country. For example, round here i've found Pirellis work well, in the west Midlands, people say Pirellis are useless. Conversely the ones they recommend are pretty useless round here as well. All down to different road surfaces in my belief as i've driven in the west midlands with Pirellis and after that, if i hadn't driven anywhere else, i'd say the same as they do!

In other words, get some local opnion or at least go on a few tyre review websites and find reviews from your area on the tyres you're considering.

Quite a long post, i said many things but whether i've actually said anything useful remains to be seen! Hopefully i have!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:38   #39
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

All I can say re size is, decide the size you consider best and get that size. Unless you are confident that a different size will fully serve your fundamental purpose re .... safety.

Tall and skinny. I think I might have heard that years ago. Thank you David.

I'm about to fit in a little while some 195 65 15 winter tyres. Almost exactly correct diameter for my car's speedo. Not tall, not skinny. Perhaps the winter tyre qualities are more important than being tall and skinny?

I haven't heard before about regional variations. Is it road surfaces, or local prejudices? What do you think David?

I looked up winter tyre reviews. The opinion seems to be that they do grip better at or below 7 deg C. And a proper M&S winter tyre will perform well even if one encounters snow. So I am treating myself to a set of winter tyres, on a spare set of wheels. A personal decision. Right or wrong.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:46   #40
XCR
Master Member

Like I said David, the speedo error is fractional. Have a look at the site I linked.

"If you're able to find 175/70/16 they'd probably be about the best compromise between what you need for snow/ice and fitting on the 16" wheels. I'm not even sure it's a "real" size as in one that is manufactured though."

I must remember that one !!!!!
As for 'Reading 70 when I'm actually doing 55 ?" I wonder what tyres would actually need to be fitted in order to produce that reading ! I'll pop back and let you know.........................

ETA....
205 55 21 - 70 mph
225 60 13 - 55.3 mph

Or....to put it another way.....
225 60 16. - 54.9 mph
225 55 25. - 70 mph !!!!!!!!

Last edited by XCR; Oct 12th, 2018 at 22:54.