Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

21" Wheels to 19" Wheels

Views : 720

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:17   #1
MaDProFF
Master Member

Default 21" Wheels to 19" Wheels

I am thinking of getting a set of 19" Volvo Rims for my XC 60 T8, I am on 21" at present, has anyone dropped down from 21 to 19's if so thoughts Please :- on

Noise,
Road holding,
More body Roll / movement?

I want to put winter tyres on my car, and 21" tyres are like £275.00 per tyre, a set of Volvo rims 19" black diamond cut 5 double spoke with Nokians WR SUV4's are £1891 complete fitted.

I know it is a lot of money, but at least the cost of replacing 19" nokians tyres are a hall of a lot cheaper than the 21's well £125.00 per tyre not fitted
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 15:42   #2
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I am thinking of getting a set of 19" Volvo Rims for my XC 60 T8, I am on 21" at present, has anyone dropped down from 21 to 19's if so thoughts Please :- on

Noise,
Road holding,
More body Roll / movement?

I want to put winter tyres on my car, and 21" tyres are like £275.00 per tyre, a set of Volvo rims 19" black diamond cut 5 double spoke with Nokians WR SUV4's are £1891 complete fitted.

I know it is a lot of money, but at least the cost of replacing 19" nokians tyres are a hall of a lot cheaper than the 21's well £125.00 per tyre not fitted
Something to check first is whether the T8 can run on 19” wheels - I am sure that I have read the XC90 can’t due to the size of the brakes.

If you can run on 19” wheels, then you will certainly have more choice of winter/all season tyres at a far more reasonable cost.

I have run Nokia’s winters and all seasons on my previous XC60’s and was very impressed with them.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:37   #3
Haldex
Premier Member

You can get T8 in Momentum trim (with 18" wheels..), so that's a yes- anything over 18" will do.

Btw, all engine versions have identical brake disc diameters (322 or 345mm front or 302/320mm rears).

To the OP- if anything, you will have less road noise on smaller wheels. Roadholding/body roll will largely remain unaffected.. We're not talking Lotus Elise here, after all..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:49   #4
Deman77
Master Member

Certain wheels are ruled out for T8 due to extra load so check with volvo. You will not lose anything noticeable in terms of wheel performance without going on track and will gain in comfort provided your are not on the wrong tires. If you do go for a narrower width your contact patch will be smaller (they will keep circumference the same) and hence breaking performance for the same tire will be worse in theory. But on bumpy roads it may be made up by higher profile because your tire is more in contact with the road.

If you can live with aesthetic downgrade going to smalller wheels is a no brainier.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 18:33   #5
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
You can get T8 in Momentum trim (with 18" wheels..), so that's a yes- anything over 18" will do.

Btw, all engine versions have identical brake disc diameters (322 or 345mm front or 302/320mm rears).

To the OP- if anything, you will have less road noise on smaller wheels. Roadholding/body roll will largely remain unaffected.. We're not talking Lotus Elise here, after all..
Thanks, Haldex - I was being lazy, didn’t check the Configurator on the Volvo website before I replied!

There is no Momentum version of the XC60 T8 in the UK market, but the R Design version comes with 19” wheels, (21” wheels on R Design Pro models), so the answer to the OP is a definite yes as far as fitting 19” wheels to his car.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 20:31   #6
MaDProFF
Master Member

Thanks for replies.

I might add these are Volvo rims, Volvo Supplied and fitted. prepared for TPMS.
that price was also including the tyres for anyone not reading it correctly
I have Nokian's on other vehicles, and had have on cars, so I know how good they are

Might just go for it
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 11:49   #7
AWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
Thanks, Haldex - I was being lazy, didn’t check the Configurator on the Volvo website before I replied!

There is no Momentum version of the XC60 T8 in the UK market, but the R Design version comes with 19” wheels, (21” wheels on R Design Pro models), so the answer to the OP is a definite yes as far as fitting 19” wheels to his car.

NL market XC60 Momentum T8 comes with 18" rims. Have one on order.

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AWM For This Useful Post: