Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remap & Carbon clean booked.

Views : 1551

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 13:52   #1
Waynedance

Default Remap & Carbon clean booked.

Booked for next week, total of 3 cars being done with the Volvo being the hardest as need access to the ECU.

"The extra power and torque gains on a 50/50 map > 30bhp + 30ft/lb + 4-6 mpg more. Priced at £220. If your vehicle is booked in during September you will get a free carbon clean"

Also includes sorting the gearbox software to match new torque.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:18   #2
Bushmonkey
VOC Member

Booked with who??
Bushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:21   #3
Waynedance

Torque Uk, find them on Facebook.

https://www.torqueuk.co.uk/
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:30   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
Booked for next week, total of 3 cars being done with the Volvo being the hardest as need access to the ECU.

"The extra power and torque gains on a 50/50 map > 30bhp + 30ft/lb + 4-6 mpg more. Priced at £220. If your vehicle is booked in during September you will get a free carbon clean"

Also includes sorting the gearbox software to match new torque.
I would be interested to know how you are getting on In 3 months. It’s not something I would do but each to their own.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 19:20   #5
Waynedance

Out of interest what's the reason you would not have a remap etc.

Looking for views from both camps.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 19:46   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Honestly I cannot take any company seriously that uses a disposable Yahoo email address and offers only a mobile phone number as contact info.
No names.
No addresses.
No company registration number.
No VAT number.

They state that they provide no warranty whatsoever on their work

And you must accept that their stated values are approximate

What guarrantee to you have that they will still be around in 2 years time when you have problems / questions?

Sounds like a backyard software jockey to me
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 19:57   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
Out of interest what's the reason you would not have a remap etc.

Looking for views from both camps.
Back in the 1990s for high output you would buy a turbo engine and increase the boost. At limits you would require upgraded cam/cranks etc.

You now have a vehicle with probably around 25 different control modules all communicating and thousands of variable and parameters. Having changed the auto fluid in mine there are many parameters, temperature, Solonoid activations etc etc and the chances of getting issues are high on a standard car. But for £200 an outfit can review all of these parameters, ensure they all remain within specification and provide more power, better efficiency and no reduction in emissions or reliability, I don’t believe it.

Also cars, including Volvo all have their week points, on the xc90 it’s the splined sleeve, tensioner failures, AOC unit etc etc, and you are now going to put a lot more power through it but it won’t cause it to break earlier....

My understanding also is that it was not Volvo that protected the ecu by ensuring it could not be flashed, it was Bosch’s who protected it specifically to protect this kind if event happening. You can flash and then the ecu will scan for alterations in the map and realise. The ecu is opened up flying ‘frig’ the scan and ensure it can’t take place. As an engineer myself it seems logical that there will be a element of caution from the factory but more power, more efficiency and no drop in reliability is too much to ask...

I am in no way reflecting on your chosen company, I have not used them, but I would not do this without expecting increased wear and tear and potentially faults (which is fine if you are happy to shell out for it).

Of course, I don’t write ecu maps, maybe I am simply set in my way and don’t understand all this. As I said earlier I would be interested to hear how you get on, maybe I am wrong and the manufacturers do leave gaping performance, economy and other gains to be had.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:22   #8
green van man
Premier Member

It has to be said that the polestar optimisation program whilst providing worthwhile gains in power and torque should not be nessesary.

Volvo produce a car that they accept can be optimised by a programing update at a considerable cost by polestar which in truth for the cost of the car should of been optimised from the factory.

I know the difference before and after polestar on my car was chalk and cheese however on a car costing over 34k new it should not of been nessesary to spend a further 700 to optimise it. How the new vea engines fair I don't know, there not being a manual transmition option with them I shall never own one, but these cars start at over 40k and should not need optimising in the first place, they should come optimised from the factory.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:28   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I'd want to see some credible graphs for torque & power Vs RPM. Assuming you have a diesel, a torque increase of 30 ft.lb causing a power increase of 30 bhp on an engine incapable of reaching the crossover point (5252 rpm) suggests they've managed to stretch the torque peak well up the rev range. Which isn't always the case with diesel remaps.

I don't believe that you'll really have improved economy, although the on-board computer will indicate that you are, as remapping generally results in an over-optimistic display.

But at least the price is reasonable, unlike Polestar. Also good that this includes modifying the gearbox software, although I wouldn't want the 'carbon clean' treatment. And apparently they can put your car back to standard if required.

Is your car a diesel with a DPF? That would worry me, as remapping often makes the exhaust more smoky.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:34   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
It has to be said that the polestar optimisation program whilst providing worthwhile gains in power and torque should not be nessesary.

Volvo produce a car that they accept can be optimised by a programing update at a considerable cost by polestar which in truth for the cost of the car should of been optimised from the factory.

I know the difference before and after polestar on my car was chalk and cheese however on a car costing over 34k new it should not of been nessesary to spend a further 700 to optimise it. How the new vea engines fair I don't know, there not being a manual transmition option with them I shall never own one, but these cars start at over 40k and should not need optimising in the first place, they should come optimised from the factory.

Paul.
I've begun to think that Volvo deliberately produce detuned versions of their vehicles so they can get you to fork out an additional £700 to have it put right!

I've got a VEA D4 with a manual box. Are the currently available ones really all auto only?