Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine ticking/rattling noise

Views : 12512

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 17:20   #11
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniln74 View Post
Hi Dave,
I’m still hesitating whether to buy or not new fuel lines.
Fuel injector washers- 1 Eur each
No need for that, save money, they are expensive.
Just tighten them up more.
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 23:28   #12
toniln74

Default Problem solved

Hello again guys,

I've got really good news,I've finally got rid of that disturbing noise and the engine now is purring like a cat. It turned out that some followers' rollers have excessive play and few lifters were stuck. Thank you once again for your pieces of advice.It was really worthy of and helpful.
I spent more than 12 hours in the garage today, from the morning until 2300 o'clock. There were two of us, but we both had no experience with D5 engine.
And one more question:
The crankcase ventilation filter(which is located in the same body with the oil filter but on the right side ). The question is: How do I know if it is blocked.From which direction crankcase gases flow in that filter-from the top to the bottom or visa versa ? Because there a two holes on the top and one at the bottom and when I blow in the bottom towards the top it is blocked but when I suck from it it opens. There is kind of a valve there I suppose. I'm asking because the guy I was working with said the filter was out of order but for me it looks OK. What is more I can't buy only the filter separately but the whole unit/body together with the oil filter case.Which is rather expensive, roughly 170Eur.
Thank you in advance.
Toni
toniln74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toniln74 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 12:52   #13
pman

Good afternoon Toniln. My course of action would be to drain out the engine oiland put a good quality flushing oil in and flush the engine according to the instructions. If necessary do this two or three times before draining out the flushing oil and replacing with a good quality oil of the recommended grade
together with a new oil filter. I've had cars presented to me with similar rattles and it's turned out to be sludge build up due to poor grade oil and not doing oil changes at the recommended intervals.
Hope this helps.
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 05:26   #14
Simon R

Smile Rattling Noise XC90 D5 200 000 km

If you have a rattling noise coming from your D5 then 90% chances are that this is hydraulic lifters. You will notice this mainly in slow moving traffic and not so much when you put your foot down because the roar of the engine is higher. in my case some of the lifters ( there are quite a lot - I think its 4 per cylinder x 5 ) nearly came apart. That was because I was driving so long with this rattly noise. Garage said that if they had, it would destroy the engine so don't hang around too long to get these fixed.

If you get a mind range ( low frequency ) noise, could be the vaccum pump or ( in my case ), faulty front engine mount that had lost its vaccum. There is a simple test you can do by disconnecting the tube connection into a small plastic block and putting your finger on the hole of the block. Noise should go away. Check you tube, there is a video showing you how to do this - very quick.
Simon R is offline   Reply With Quote