Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing 3 spoke Steering Wheel

Views : 1140

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2014, 18:14   #1
Matt86
Premier Member

Default Removing 3 spoke Steering Wheel

Ok - I'm aware of the guides etc, but I'm still having a complete mission getting my damn steering wheel to release the airbag so I can get it off. Completely halted everything I'm doing!!

So I'm aware of the daft little hole, but what can I stick in it to get the steering wheel to pop the airbag free? And what motion etc am I mean to do?

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 18:54   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
Ok - I'm aware of the guides etc, but I'm still having a complete mission getting my damn steering wheel to release the airbag so I can get it off. Completely halted everything I'm doing!!

So I'm aware of the daft little hole, but what can I stick in it to get the steering wheel to pop the airbag free? And what motion etc am I mean to do?
Flat blade screw driver works best. Sometimes, you may have to push the screwdriver in and out repeatedly while pulling the airbag VERY gently. Give me a call if you get stuck

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 19:26   #3
RichT4
Sunny Days!

I struggled like hell to do this the first time, the best thing to do is literally put a long thin screwdriver in pointing up 45 degrees to the centre of the wheel, slightly aim it to the left or right and feel for a clip, Then push the tip of the screwdriver down so it releases the clip enabling you to pull the airbag out (gently) the clips at the top could break though so be aware.
RichT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 20:08   #4
Matt86
Premier Member

Got it cracked now Thanks lads. Yeah absolutely bastard to get off! Did it in less than a minute this time lol. Forgot my screwdriver but had a Torx 27 so figured it would do lol. Pushed up on the clip and it still didn't move.

However I pushed the airbag in, Pushed up on the clip and the airbag then fell out as I removed my hand Lovely!

Spend 20 minutes swearing at it earlier to later on 1 minute and it's off lol. Now to remove the dash....again....

Car Photos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2014, 22:19   #5
lswainsonl

I got mine off easy I just used a Stanley knife and hacked the sides of the steering wheel apart and flipped the bar with my fingers hahaha Not recommended if you want to keep it.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 23:01   #6
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswainsonl View Post
I got mine off easy I just used a Stanley knife and hacked the sides of the steering wheel apart and flipped the bar with my fingers hahaha Not recommended if you want to keep it.
Came close to doing this actually....

Note to self - Do NOT keep Stanley knife in toolbox wants me to cut things more when stressed lol

Car Photos
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 19:28   #7
GavinO

Default Push!

I struggled with this for a bit, having read that the clip needs to be pushed up or down: based on this instruction I was making the mistake of trying to catch the edge of a clip to push it up or down in line with the steering column.
In fact, one needs to push straight in (towards the centre of the column).
My advice is to get the largest flat bladed screwdriver that will fit comfortably into the hole, line up the blade of the screwdriver with the steering column and insert it into the hole (pretty well at right angles to the column, or parallel to the face of the steering wheel) until you hit metal. The metal is one side of a very large spring clip that pretty well encircles the column: several cm across. It takes quite a bit of pressure so make sure your screwdriver is solidly on the metal so it can't slip off and just push hard straight towards the centre of the column. The official instructions suggest that one should push down on the airbag at the same time, so if it's really stiff that might help, but I found this to be unnecessary once I had the confidence to apply sufficient pressure.
I hope this helps someone!
GavinO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GavinO For This Useful Post: