Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does a V50 07 2.0D SE have a dpf or is it only Euro 4 models

Views : 50201

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2014, 20:38   #81
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile DPF or not

Certainly is an area for much confusion, I would say if you have service history showing the DPF being changed at 75K then its not the variety that can regenerate (as on the D5). This was one feature that steered me away from the 2L diesel's. I suppose on the plus side it wont need doing for another 75K miles, just depends on how many miles your doing, as to how soon that would need doing, I think the earlier engines 04/05 ish era had the eolys fluid tank. Often worth lookin at the exhaust system if you want to be sure, the DPF will have a tube running from each side of it to the differential pressure sensor (used to detect when the filter is full) at least this is how the D5 one works im guessing similar for the 2L.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 18:38   #82
meanchris

Thumbs down

Well this is fun.

There is indeed an invoice from a Volvo main dealer for a DPF renewal "at customer's request" because the "Soot Filter Full" message was appearing.
Replacement done 6 months ago at 73000 miles, at a cost of £800+

Then, a month later, there's another "Soot Filter Full" message, diagnostic check oil degradation recorded in ECM, 1 instance of post DPF sensor mis-reading. Change oil/filter, reset and clear fault codes, £200.

So, I bought the car yesterday and drove it home quite enthusiastically approx 25 miles/35 mins.

This morning, my wife wanted to have a drive and after a couple of miles, guess what, the "Soot Filter" message appeared.

She clicked the "Read" button and the message disappeared, and didn't return after travelling about 30 miles in total.

Is it possible that there's a fault elsewhere, not the actual DPF, in the sensor for example?

There's a note on the reports saying that the oil MUST be checked every four tank fills or once a week, whichever sooner, which is a bit worrying to say the least.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions, gratefully received, thanks?

(It's also got a noisy rear wheel bearing, so it'll have to go back to the dealer for that anyway).
meanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 18:41   #83
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanchris View Post
Well this is fun.

There is indeed an invoice from a Volvo main dealer for a DPF renewal "at customer's request" because the "Soot Filter Full" message was appearing.
Replacement done 6 months ago at 73000 miles, at a cost of £800+

Then, a month later, there's another "Soot Filter Full" message, diagnostic check oil degradation recorded in ECM, 1 instance of post DPF sensor mis-reading. Change oil/filter, reset and clear fault codes, £200.

So, I bought the car yesterday and drove it home quite enthusiastically approx 25 miles/35 mins.

This morning, my wife wanted to have a drive and after a couple of miles, guess what, the "Soot Filter" message appeared.

She clicked the "Read" button and the message disappeared, and didn't return after travelling about 30 miles in total.

Is it possible that there's a fault elsewhere, not the actual DPF, in the sensor for example?

There's a note on the reports saying that the oil MUST be checked every four tank fills or once a week, whichever sooner, which is a bit worrying to say the least.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions, gratefully received, thanks?

(It's also got a noisy rear wheel bearing, so it'll have to go back to the dealer for that anyway).
THe soot filter full message could be genuine after the car has been started a lot of times and not warmed up as a sales car . The 30 mile run would have done a regeneration .. FIngers crossed , see how it goes this week ..
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 19:14   #84
meanchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
THe soot filter full message could be genuine after the car has been started a lot of times and not warmed up as a sales car . The 30 mile run would have done a regeneration .. FIngers crossed , see how it goes this week ..
Unlikely with my wife driving I'm afraid she didn't manage more than 50 for 5 minutes at a time.

Thanks for the reply, I'll see how it goes when I start using it for work next week.

How much do I need to worry about the engine oil being contaminated at this point?
meanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 20:12   #85
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanchris View Post
Unlikely with my wife driving I'm afraid she didn't manage more than 50 for 5 minutes at a time.

Thanks for the reply, I'll see how it goes when I start using it for work next week.

How much do I need to worry about the engine oil being contaminated at this point?
Rising oil level isnt a great problem with this 2.0 engine , just make sure the level is down a bit from the max mark on the dipstick. checked from cold .
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 20:16   #86
JBONE
S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steV50 View Post
I'm pretty sure the 2.0D with Powershift has a dry system dpf like the D5 so does not need a dpf replacement or eolys fluid.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone confirm this is true? Sorry this topic is a mine field

I have a Powershift model.

5th character of the vin is 5, the car has the module next to the battery but doesn't have ADM in the service menu so it would make sense that the Powershift model doesn't have/need Eolys fluid.

It sounds like Volvo aren't able to tell you what you have without looking properly.

Thanks

JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 20:42   #87
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBONE View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone confirm this is true? Sorry this topic is a mine field

5th character of the vin is 5, the car has the module next to the battery but doesn't have ADM in the service menu so it would make sense that the Powershift model doesn't have/need Eolys fluid.

It sounds like Volvo aren't able to tell you what you have without looking properly.

Thanks
Posted reply on your other thread before I saw this.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 21:52   #88
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBONE View Post

Thanks
yes , powershift engine has the Particle filter which does not need changing at 75000 miles .
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 19:30   #89
iadom

Again, apologies for old thread resurrection.

I have a V50D SE with powershift gearbox, 59 plate registered Oct 2009.

88,400 miles ATM. Do get the occasional 'soot filter blocked' warning if I have been doing too many short journeys but have always used premium diesel and the old 'Italian tune up' has thus far always cleared its lungs.

My real question is this, is my vehicle Euro 4 or 5?

I don't intend to scrap it but notice all of the so called scrappage schemes ( just the usual negotiable discounts in most cases) mention cars registered before Dec 2009.

Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 23:28   #90
russell121

Unhappy dpf issues

hi guys sorry to ressurect this post but i have a 2009 v50 2.0d i have the dpf filter but no eolys tank as i have the powershift auto transmission i have recently changed the dpf,pressure pipes.pressure sensor,cleaned egr valve and checked functioning correctly and still have fault codes regarding pressure and soot filter full message and engine system service required on the screen the codes were reset with vida dice and all parameters reset and after a few miles they all came back any ideas what i could be missing??
russell121 is offline   Reply With Quote