Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Con Fuse Keeps Blowing - Help Please!

Views : 1511

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2011, 07:33   #1
Easy Rhino

Default Air Con Fuse Keeps Blowing - Help Please!

The V90 (98) does not get driven much since #2 son moved to the mainland, but it's the beach beater, home store hauler, and guest transportation (we get a lot of company).

Anyway, the AC quit blowing cold, and tonight I got around to checking it. Seems that the AC fuse was toast.

Replaced the fuse (it is 15A) with a new fuse that lasted about 5 minutes, during which time the AC worked as new, then the fuse blew.

Replaced it one more time - same result - the AC works great (compressor spins, cold air issues, life is good), then after about 5 minutes the fuse blew again, stopping the compressor.

Guests arriving next Saturday, I need to have this thing working.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What would you check next?
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 08:15   #2
Easy Rhino

Update:

Since the Compressor spins and the AC blows cold when the fuse is not blown, I'm thinking that the compressor is okay (I'm thinking that a high friction compressor would cause an immeidate blown fuse)..

And,

Since the fuse blows after several minutes of running the AC system, I thinking that a short to ground is not that likely (I'm thinking that a direct short would cause an immediate blown fuse).

Therefore;

I'm concluding that the culprit is most likely the AC compressor electromagnetic clutch.

Thoughts?

Has anyone replaced one of these buggers, preferably without pulling the compressor out (save the AC freon charge, just replace the clutch coil)?
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 09:04   #3
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question I thinking that a short to ground is not that likely

check all the wireing first allways start with the cheap and easy things first,i know a direct short would cause a fuse to go straight away but with wireing sometimes theres something rubing ,and can cause an intermitant fault like this one ,then it gets worse,good luck.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 09:10   #4
Easy Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by david philips View Post
check all the wireing first allways start with the cheap and easy things first,i know a direct short would cause a fuse to go straight away but with wireing sometimes theres something rubing ,and can cause an intermitant fault like this one ,then it gets worse,good luck.
Thanks,

Tomorrow (It's late here now) I'll take voltage, resistance, and ground readings to try to find any 'leaks', shorts, or high resistance connections.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 23:03   #5
Easy Rhino

After additional research, I think it boils down to one of the following causes:

1 - Dodgy wiring from the power supply, downstream (load side) of the fuse, including high resistance connections or shorts to ground intermittent or just low resistance to ground.

2 - Clutch coil is toast.

3 - Clutch plate worn down so far as to cause the clutch gap to be too wide, resutling in too high current to engage the clutch fully (I don't think that this is a more likely cause).

After checking for indications of #1 andd #2, if I come up empty handed, I might try the clutch gap adjustment.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 20:46   #6
WirralNick

Hi, did you find the culprit, I have similar in 2012 d5. With Aircon off, engine runs fine, with Aircon air, air is ice cold for 5mins or so then the fuse blows which also affects engine idle.

Easy to replace the fuse. But it would be great to get that cold air blowing.

Any pointers please?
WirralNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 21:57   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

Neither of the people who contributed to this thread have been on the forum for at least five years and this is the wrong section for your car.

If you’ve got a Zexel compressor with a magnetic clutch then I’d feel inclined to check/test that first. It could be shorting internally or leaking a spike when it cuts out.

Good luck tracing the fault.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 11:42   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A 1998 V90 is basically the same as a 1997 960 so he is in the right place.

If memory serves, the compressor clutch fuse should be 30A but please check your handbook/workshop manual to confirm this. Certainly in my 760 the heater fan/AC fuse is 30A and the 760 is just an older version of a 960. It would certainly explain why a 15A fuse blows so easily!

I'd say check what the fuse should be (fairly sure it will be 30A) and replace with the correct value and don't allow people to meddle with the fusebox in future!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 22:14   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A 1998 V90 is basically the same as a 1997 960 so he is in the right place.
Agreed, but that’s the original 2011 thread. The revival is about a 2012 D5. Not sure whether that uses the same compressor.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 22:46   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Agreed, but that’s the original 2011 thread. The revival is about a 2012 D5. Not sure whether that uses the same compressor.
Very good point! I missed that, sorry! Only saw the bits about the 1998 V90 and somehow didn't see the 2012 XC90 D5

If memory serves, the later car uses a Variable Displacement compressor so the compressor runs all the time the AC is on, internal valves vary the load (and hence displacement) of the compressor to vary the amount of cooling it actually gives.
Generally because they are configured to a "soft-start" by the valves reducing the load on the compressor until the clutch is fully engaged, a smaller coil is used for the clutch so a smaller fuse would likely be needed.Reading the post i missed, i'd guess (without knowing any more clues) it's either low on gas so is trying to load up the compressor for more cooling or there is another problem somewhere with the system.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: