Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 21176

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 16:52   #491
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I could cut the plugs off my cables if that would help ? Or is there some kind of adapter
That would also mean cutting my cables which I'm not keen on, might see if there's an adapter.

Would you mind undoing the top cover and taking a picture of the tape deck, if it's the same as mine I'll take it
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 17:24   #492
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
That would also mean cutting my cables which I'm not keen on, might see if there's an adapter.

Would you mind undoing the top cover and taking a picture of the tape deck, if it's the same as mine I'll take it
Can do. Have to be after Wed as I'm away till then
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 18:11   #493
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
No worries, seen a few 940s being broken on Facebook marketplace so might see if any have the same radio so I can just do a straight swap.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 10:21   #494
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
I haven't had much luck on the radio hunt so if you can get a picture at some point that would be helpful, cheers!
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 16:37   #495
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
I haven't had much luck on the radio hunt so if you can get a picture at some point that would be helpful, cheers!
I'll try and get a pic tonight

I take it the thing won't fall apart when I undo the cover ??
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 19:16   #496
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
I'll try and get a pic tonight

I take it the thing won't fall apart when I undo the cover ??
Thanks! All I can say is mine didn't so I wouldn't think yours will. there were 2/3 screws on the back that held the top cover down and then it just slid off so you could look inside but it was all contained.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 21:32   #497
ANDTWENTY

just thought id give you a little update on how I'm getting on with the gas conversion. So far I've got all the under bonnet components in place and the brackets made up to hold everything. I now have the not so fun job or mounting the tank which I'm aiming to do tomorrow, Ive got to do all the pipework to and from everything which should be easy enough and then the wiring which will be helped as I did it last time. I'll be drilling and tapping the manifold for the nozzle too as this worked well on my last car. I also bought a new thermostat which ill change when I cut into the coolant pipes as this has gone. Sorry about the pictures, it was a little dark out but ill get some more tomorrow.

- In orange I've got the vaporiser and the ECU mounted to the bulkhead, the ECU is just held with self tappers and the vaporiser is bolted through, theres a grommet at the top I could get a spanner with a nut taped to down to bolt it with.
- In Yellow I have the filter which is bolted to the manifold where the throttle cable bracket is, The brackets twisted and turned slightly to allow the piping to bend round to the flow meter better and make sure the filter is level.
- The green is then the flow meter and vacuum sensor, a small bracket was made that bolts to the valve cover and then holts the sensor vertical.
- And finally in blue is the fuel rail, I've mounted this flat and bolted again to the valve cover with a small bracket.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 23:21   #498
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Hmmm, progress! Just to be sure, you are aware you can't use the OBD option on that system in your car?

Are you able to remount the injectors and the ECU at all? The ECU could go on the bracket on the front of the suspension turret with the connection port downwards like all other AEB and AEB-based units require.

LIkewise the injectors should be vertical or as near as, many reasons for this but one of the main ones is they'll wear in a strange pattern laying on their side and evetually stick.

Also as LPG gas is heavier than air, you may have other problems.

Also don't forget to drill your calibration nozzles to 3.2mm, ~10% above the 2.8mm recommended for 130bhp engines as yours is full-group/batch-fire injection.

Looking forward to the next update!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 00:01   #499
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmm, progress! Just to be sure, you are aware you can't use the OBD option on that system in your car?

Are you able to remount the injectors and the ECU at all? The ECU could go on the bracket on the front of the suspension turret with the connection port downwards like all other AEB and AEB-based units require.

LIkewise the injectors should be vertical or as near as, many reasons for this but one of the main ones is they'll wear in a strange pattern laying on their side and evetually stick.

Also as LPG gas is heavier than air, you may have other problems.

Also don't forget to drill your calibration nozzles to 3.2mm, ~10% above the 2.8mm recommended for 130bhp engines as yours is full-group/batch-fire injection.

Looking forward to the next update!
Yea the OBD function isnt used, I didn't use it in the other car I just manually set the map myself so this isn't an issue.

The injectors proved to be a tricky one, I've tried many ways to get them verticle but just don't seem to have the room with the connectors on without hitting the bonnet and at the same time keeping a short hose to the manifold so sadly I think that's how they we'll stay, I'm gonna tilt them down slightly more tomorrow if I can though.

I see they suggest to mount the ECU with the connector down to prevent moisture in the plug. I had it mounted flat previously and it didn't seem to cause an issue and the connector is a waterproof connector so moisture shouldn't get in. I'll have a look at where you suggest tomorrow though as it might work better with wiring.

When you say calibration nozzles I'm assuming you mean the nozzles on the fuel rail? These I believe, although I'll double check, are drilled to 3mm already from my previous car. There's no point going any bigger as the internal size of the fuel rail is only 3mm so anything bigger won't make a difference.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 00:11   #500
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I see they suggest to mount the ECU with the connector down to prevent moisture in the plug. I had it mounted flat previously and it didn't seem to cause an issue and the connector is a waterproof connector so moisture shouldn't get in. I'll have a look at where you suggest tomorrow though as it might work better with wiring.

When you say calibration nozzles I'm assuming you mean the nozzles on the fuel rail? These I believe, although I'll double check, are drilled to 3mm already from my previous car. There's no point going any bigger as the internal size of the fuel rail is only 3mm so anything bigger won't make a difference.
It's not just to prevent moisture in the connector, there are relays inside for the petrol/gas changeover and they are designed to be mounted a certain way. It's similar to the reason i cited for vertical mounting of the injectors, the relays can stick if not mounted in the correct plane.

Are you sure the gas fuel rail is only 3mm diameter? Considering the gas hose is 12mm bore as far as i can make out, 3mm is a big drop. Is there not enough room to fit the gas injectors between the rocker cover and the petrol fuel rail? Alternatively there is at least one bolt i can see on the throttle body, a bracket on there would make it possible to mount them vertically.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote