Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing cigarette lighter socket (2002 V40 1.9D Manual)

Views : 1718

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 19:33   #1
skearon

Default Changing cigarette lighter socket (2002 V40 1.9D Manual)

My lighter socket has stopped working (I have tried my pda charging lead in another car and it works fine)

Initially I thought it was a fuse, however couldn't find a fuse designated for the cigarette lighter in the manual, so looked at all fuses and they seem fine.

I have seen replacement cigarette lighters listed for sale in eBay, however would appreciate advice on how I actually go about removing the existing one.

A friend told me they just unscrew, however either he is wrong or I am blind!

Do I need to remove panels to get at it?

Is there a fuse under the lighter itself?
skearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 23:00   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: Changing cigarette lighter socket (2002 V40 1.9D Manual)

If a power supply works in the socket ,then it's the actual lighter bit that's gone,try one of your mates or neighbours lighters in it,as long as it fits ok as some are different diameters then that will prove to you that the lighter has gone.
The element on the very end of the lighter is like a minature electric hob element and will not last forever.
You should be able to get one from a Halfords or general spares supplier easily and quite cheap.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 00:39   #3
skearon

Lighter also does not work
skearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 20:52   #4
vjck_uk
Premier member

Sorry,I thought the pda worked ok in the socket.
I should'nt think it's the socket as there's very little to go wrong with that bit.
I don't know if the 2002 are the same setup as my 98 model but mine has a fusebox above the drivers right foot as well as the under bonnet one,you have to take off the trim above your feet to find the fuses.
On mine it's fuse 13,a 15 amp which also serves the parking lights,data link connector and the headlight height control.
Check all the other electrical items and see if everything else is working as most fuses serve more than 1 item.
Try a meter into the socket and see if there's any power on it,try it with the meter earth on the body.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 13:26   #5
George Holmer

The socket must simply run off a fuse, find it and check it. If it is ok, then it is possible that the wiring has worked itself lose. Regardless, the dashboard must be at least partialy dismantled.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2