Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight motor

Views : 686

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 15:34   #1
sakm

Default Headlight motor

My drivers side headlight will not adjust with the control in the car its just sits there whining!

You can hear the motor working but nothing is moving I have checked to make sure everything is connected up fine which it is

Can these be removed and replaced or am I looking at another headlight?
sakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 17:51   #2
sakm

Anyone?
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 21:16   #3
iainmd

If the motor itself is done for then it's a new headlamp unit.

Before you do that, remove the headlamp, take the rear cover off and look for the white plastic ball and socket joints that connect the projector to the motor adjustment. Try pushing the ball and sockets together until they click into place. It's possible that the ball is no longer in the socket. That happened to my S40 at one point.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 21:43   #4
sakm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
If the motor itself is done for then it's a new headlamp unit.

Before you do that, remove the headlamp, take the rear cover off and look for the white plastic ball and socket joints that connect the projector to the motor adjustment. Try pushing the ball and sockets together until they click into place. It's possible that the ball is no longer in the socket. That happened to my S40 at one point.
Thanks for the reply

I have already checked all that and its all in place and watching it all while operating it there is nothing moving inside!
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 09:58   #5
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakm View Post
Thanks for the reply

I have already checked all that and its all in place and watching it all while operating it there is nothing moving inside!
In that case I'm afraid its time to either replace with a new headlamp unit or try to find one from a breakers yard second hand.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 11:33   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
In that case I'm afraid its time to either replace with a new headlamp unit or try to find one from a breakers yard second hand.
If you do look for a replacement it is worth getting the volvo number off the old unit.(yellow volvo sticker) There are so many variants it is the easiest way to match up.

Also the light unit might be used on different cars so the number can widen the search and ensures it will fit.

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 20:31   #7
sakm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

If you do look for a replacement it is worth getting the volvo number off the old unit.(yellow volvo sticker) There are so many variants it is the easiest way to match up.

Also the light unit might be used on different cars so the number can widen the search and ensures it will fit.

Iain
I am used to doing this anyway from owning VAG cars

Our SEAT Leon shares a lot of parts with the Audi A3 and the mk6 Golf and some Skoda's

It's surprising what you can find from other vehicles for half the price
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 11:02   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakm View Post
I am used to doing this anyway from owning VAG cars

Our SEAT Leon shares a lot of parts with the Audi A3 and the mk6 Golf and some Skoda's

It's surprising what you can find from other vehicles for half the price
If you mean by that levelling motor itself - maybe, its possible other cars share it but no idea if you can replace just this.
If you mean headlamp itself then you are restricted only to same brand and type, for example preFL V50 and S40 has different beziels (gray and black), where C30 or C70 has different shapes whatsoever. On post FL cars its the same halogen type for S and V but 2 different xenon types...
part numbers were superseeded few times aswell so the same unit can bear 2 different numbers and astill physically fit.
All in all its a bit of a mess so be careful when trying to match up.