Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical issues and cutting out

Views : 1604

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 20:19   #1
Dazvolvo

Cool Electrical issues and cutting out

My first post here so apologies if I break any etiquette rules!
My 2002 V70 D5 Diesel randomly cuts out while driving at any speed. It’s happened at 70mph or 15mph. All the warning lights come on briefly and then the car seems to jump start itself again and carries on. If I’m going under 10 mph the car doesn’t restart and then I’m forced to pull over. This has happened a few times in the last few days even though previously the cutting out was only happening very other week or so.
When I pull over after a cut out at lower speeds, I try to start the car but it does not fire up. The engine turns well but the engine management lights blink last quickly and it won’t start. If I wait about 3 to 5 minutes then try again it will start then.
I had a non Volvo dealer code read and will add to the post when I can find the pad I wrote it on a few weeks ago! It was something like 816 or 820 master circuit?? I’ll try and find it again. This led me to believe it was a fault on the CEM. I did some research and replaced the fuel pump relay on the CEM.
Still no fix.
I contacted Volvo diagnostics (as recommended on these forums) and (is it Lukas?) said it was rare for the CEM to be faulty on my Year, and whilst he’s happy to recondition it, it may not fix the problems, and that the other issues may not be related.

I’m hoping that if I lost the electrical issues that there is a common denominator between them and the cutting out! (Wishful thinking I know) and that someone will be able to help me hopefully.
As well as cutting out I have.
1) The radio source control knob often stops working in the same journey when the car cuts out!
2) The radio randomly changes sources between FM,
MW, Tape and CD whilst driving along.
3) The volume pot changes sources sometimes on the radio.
4) The volume pot sometimes doesn’t do anything and the sources pot changes the volume.

I know it could just be a dodgy radio unit, but these issues happen 9 times out of 10 when the car then cuts out.

5) Occasionally W hen I switch off the engine and remove the key, the dash lights stay lit up and the radio and heater fan still operate. I have to re-insert the key and turn on the ignition to position 2 then back off and remove the key around 10 times until all the lights go off and the fan and radio switch off. When the car is in this “mode” I get warnings to pull over immediately and check ABS break system, on the messages.

6) After every switch on, the gauges do not light up and the messages window is blank. I have to switch the main headlights on full and then back off again for the gauges to light up and message screen to be visible when switching on the messages.

7) The gauge lighting dimmer adjuster does not dim the gauges.
8) The rear wiper sometimes does not work
9) The messages sometimes says “alarm system
Service required” but not all the time.

Maybe none of these are connected issues and I’ve read up on ignition key antenna problems, CEM issues and DIM and Radio issue separately.
Maybe I have ALL these problems to be fair, it’s just that I can cope with the ransoms electrical issues until I get them sorted. It’s the cutting out and not restarting that is the main show stopper obviously!

If anyone can help I’d really appreciate any comments or links you may see, before I send off the CEM for refurbish as my first step towards shelling out to get some sanity back ;-)

Best regards and Happy New Year all.
Daz
Dazvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:38   #2
JoeNinety

Nasty one.....

First job for me would be to check the battery connections, then check them again, then work around the car checking all the main earthing straps. Then check the main power connectors to/from the battery and in the engine compartment. This may require removing, cleaning, greasing, re-tightening, so you may need to disconnect the battery first.
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 15:31   #3
Dazvolvo

Cool

Thanks for all the advice, I went around the car and checked/cleaned tightened any earth straps etc.
But I still had the cutting out issue and weird radio faults.
I ordered a new ignition switch (the electronic part on the left hand side of the steering wheel, under the plastic cover) and just replaced it. So let’s see how that goes.
Volvo part number 8650054 £38.80+vat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dazvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 15:57   #4
paddy74

It seems to be I'm the mantra guy now...

[mantra] Get a readout with VIDA and post all the exact codes! Don't use a cheap OBD reader, you need something, that works with VIDA for the volvo specific codes! [/mantra]

Honestly, whatever it is, it will have left at least some kind of information in VIDA. Get yourself a dongle (DICE, VCX Nano) and install VIDA. Do a readout, delete the codes, go for a drive and read out again. Post these codes, you can always give them out as a pdf.

It might not bring up anything valuable, but before you invest more money and change perfectly good parts, get the codes read. There are sme users here on this forum, who sell tested dongles (slightly under GBP 100.-), you will get VIDA with the purchase or can find it on the internet for free (if not, I can provide a link).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 18:01   #5
oragex
Premier Member

You may find more leads here perhaps, but indeed it could be many things, even a corroded cable at the small box by the side of the battery, or an antenna ring connector, corroded small cable at the starter, corrosion at a fuse panel.. quite a few possibilities https://volvos60xc70xc90buyersguide.home.blog/
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 12:28   #6
Dazvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
It seems to be I'm the mantra guy now...

[mantra] Get a readout with VIDA and post all the exact codes! Don't use a cheap OBD reader, you need something, that works with VIDA for the volvo specific codes! [/mantra]

Honestly, whatever it is, it will have left at least some kind of information in VIDA. Get yourself a dongle (DICE, VCX Nano) and install VIDA. Do a readout, delete the codes, go for a drive and read out again. Post these codes, you can always give them out as a pdf.

It might not bring up anything valuable, but before you invest more money and change perfectly good parts, get the codes read. There are sme users here on this forum, who sell tested dongles (slightly under GBP 100.-), you will get VIDA with the purchase or can find it on the internet for free (if not, I can provide a link).
Having taken your advice and obtaining a Vida laptop.
Here are my codes
CEM-1A05
CEM-1A06
CEM-1A09

The engine sudden cutout still happens but only seems to be when it’s been raining.
Any help appreciated please.
Many thanks
Daz
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 16:12   #7
Dazvolvo

Default Stalling in the rain

Anyone able to help me fix my random stalling/cut out with these codes please?
Here are my codes
CEM-1A05
CEM-1A06
CEM-1A09

The engine sudden cutout still happens but only seems to be when it’s been raining.
Many thanks
Daz
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 14:16   #8
Stevem45

Default ECU Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazvolvo View Post
Anyone able to help me fix my random stalling/cut out with these codes please?
Here are my codes
CEM-1A05
CEM-1A06
CEM-1A09

Many thanks
Daz
Hi Daz
Not sure if its of any help but i had the same problem and it was the ECU relay
I had the AA out after the car failed to start and the could not read the info from the ECU but after pulling the relay and replacing the car fired up but the same as you it would cut out and restart so i changed the relay and the car was fine for a few months and then it started again and i if i change the relay it will run fine Again for a few months
I have changed it 3 times in the last year and waiting to see if anyone on here knows why it would fail so often

Regards
Steve
Stevem45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs v70, cutting out, display dimming., ignition switch, radio problem