Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Latest Map Update

Views : 6298

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2021, 21:36   #11
met24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Morgan View Post
Daft question here, but can you use navigation while the maps are updating?
Not a daft question at all. (It's only daft if you don't ask it.)

If you do an over-the-air download (via System Updates) then yes -- it will download the map data and install it in the background, but the new data won't be displayed or used until you shut the car down. You can't do a load of OTA updates at once or in a row -- you have to shut down and restart between each one.

If you do an individual country over USB, I think (it's been a while since I did one) that happens in the background as well and it takes a shut down to take effect. You can however do a bunch of them without a restart if you happen to have several USB sticks.

If you do the whole-of-Europe single install over USB, I thought that in the past that happened in the background, however when I did the 1333 update the other week it shut down the map display (and guidance, if it was on) during the process. (I had the in-dash map turned on at the time, and it just stayed at the location it was when it started the update!) I believe that needed a shut down and restart to bring it all up again.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 21:59   #12
Cull06
Master Member

So my car says new map update is too large. So from what I’m reading here I would need to manually download the update onto a usb and plug that into my car somewhere?

Hmmm
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 23:11   #13
met24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
So my car says new map update is too large. So from what I’m reading here I would need to manually download the update onto a usb and plug that into my car somewhere?
That's right. Grab yourself a 64GB USB stick, go to https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...aps/spa/europe and download the Mac or Windows installer. Run that and it'll download everything. I find it's a bit more reliable if you download to your hard disk first and then copy onto the USB stick once it's all downloaded. The download will take a while but you can do other stuff of course.

The USB stick needs to be FAT32, exFAT or NTFS formatted, and have nothing on it apart from the downloaded files.

When you copy the files on, you want all of them (CHECKSUM, MapImageSPA.xxx and so on) in the root directory -- no subdirectories at all.

Bung that into the USB port in the armrest (if you've got CarPlay, put it in the port with the white border) and you'll get a prompt on the screen. It'll take a while to upload but you can turn the car off and when you start up again it will pick up where it left off. I think it took my car somewhere around an hour to do the latest update, but I wasn't timing it.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. If you run into any problems, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can talk you through the whole process.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 13:32   #14
Fursty Ferret

Took more than 2 hours to install this update into my V90, but unlike the full European update you keep use of the satnav while it's installing.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 20:19   #15
roundyuk

I completed this update like no more than 2 weeks ago, now its saying there is another update too large to download....really!?!
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 20:35   #16
coppice

Default What has changed in the maps

I have updated the UK map in my car to version 1333 and the maps look different. I see green lines along the edge of clear highways, and red lines along the edge of congested highways. Previously they only marked congestion with red lines. Are there any release notes about what else may have changed?
coppice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 20:43   #17
coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by met24 View Post
Not a daft question at all. (It's only daft if you don't ask it.)

If you do an over-the-air download (via System Updates) then yes -- it will download the map data and install it in the background, but the new data won't be displayed or used until you shut the car down. You can't do a load of OTA updates at once or in a row -- you have to shut down and restart between each one.

If you do an individual country over USB, I think (it's been a while since I did one) that happens in the background as well and it takes a shut down to take effect. You can however do a bunch of them without a restart if you happen to have several USB sticks.
That's not 100% accurate. Most of the update happens in the background, but near the end you can get a short period when the car says "Navigation Not Available" on the centre console, a messed up map is shown between the gauges (Once it showed my car was in the factory where it was was built, not moving, until I turned the car off. This week it showed my car was in the middle of a field somewhere in the English countryside, not moving.), and a little while later it says the map installation will complete if you leave the car turned off for a while. If you were relying on navigation for those few minutes it could be a bit of a PITA.
coppice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 21:03   #18
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Yup. My maps are still updating a couple of days after starting (only done a few short trips). Right now, it only understands partial post codes.

I wish I could find an excuse for a two hour drive so it would finish…

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 09:35   #19
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I see green lines along the edge of clear highways, and red lines along the edge of congested highways. Previously they only marked congestion with red lines.
Green lines can be turned on or off within the navigation settings menu.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 14:36   #20
met24

Default And another update! 1336 now.

And just as we thought we'd got onto 1333, 1336 is now available. Downloading it onto the computer now.

The update to 1333 brought in a lot of charging points. I'll see if I can spot any obvious differences between 1333 and 1336 once I have a bit of time, maybe at the weekend.