Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida reports ADM/DPF errors

Views : 2202

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2021, 18:39   #1
goltho
Not my first road EO

Default Vida reports ADM/DPF errors

I took good advice here and got a new VCX and laptop with Vida pre-installed from @CheshireD5 which arrived earlier this week (thanks Simon).

The V50 goes in tomorrow to my mechanic buddy for new glow plugs as at least two are bust. This was evident from previous diagnostics I ran and subsequently confirmed by checking the plugs themselves. However....

Daughter (whose new car it is) brought it round this afternoon (she's in our bubble ) for me to check it over with Vida after a few weeks of using the car. Turns out that in addition to the yellow warning ! due to the glow plugs, the red triangle has been appearing, first intermittently but now permanently.

Apart from the glow plugs, Vida reports the following: -

ADM-0002 Additive level sensor - Faulty signal
ECM-2A20 Particulate trap - Faulty signal
ECM-A610 Additive dosing module (ADM) - Qualifier unknown

I'm attaching one of several reports which all pretty much say the same thing. The DPF pressure sensor appears not to be working due to reading 0hPa all the time. So: -

• Is that a reliable conclusion and would it cause the ECM-A610 error through the absence of data?
• Is the ADM-0002 error likely to be caused by (or causing) the ECM-2A20 error?
• Might the fact that some or all of the glow plugs being bust for an unknown length of time and presumably preventing regens from happening, have something to do with any of it?

All input gratefully received.

Dougie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B69A4F42-2713-4B02-9497-95662A0319DE.jpeg (86.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by goltho; Feb 24th, 2021 at 18:44.
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 18:50   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
I took good advice here and got a new VCX and laptop with Vida pre-installed from @CheshireD5 which arrived earlier this week (thanks Simon).

The V50 goes in tomorrow to my mechanic buddy for new glow plugs as at least two are bust. This was evident from previous diagnostics I ran and subsequently confirmed by checking the plugs themselves. However....

Daughter (whose new car it is) brought it round this afternoon (she's in our bubble ) for me to check it over with Vida after a few weeks of using the car. Turns out that in addition to the yellow warning ! due to the glow plugs, the red triangle has been appearing, first intermittently but now permanently.

Apart from the glow plugs, Vida reports the following: -

ADM-0002 Additive level sensor - Faulty signal
ECM-2A20 Particulate trap - Faulty signal
ECM-A610 Additive dosing module (ADM) - Qualifier unknown

I'm attaching one of several reports which all pretty much say the same thing. The DPF pressure sensor appears not to be working due to reading 0hPa all the time. So: -

• Is that a reliable conclusion and would it cause the ECM-A610 error through the absence of data?
• Is the ADM-0002 error likely to be caused by (or causing) the ECM-2A20 error?
• Might the fact that some or all of the glow plugs being bust for an unknown length of time and presumably preventing regens from happening, have something to do with any of it?

All input gratefully received.

Dougie.
is there any fluid in the eloys tank? it wont regen the dpf if the tank is empty
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 18:51   #3
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
is there any fluid in the eloys tank? it wont regen the dpf if the tank is empty
It's a good question and one I'll hopefully have answered tomorrow when it's on the ramp.

Dougie
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 20:38   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Quote:
It's a good question and one I'll hopefully have answered tomorrow when it's on the ramp.
Vida Dice should be able to read the level as well

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 20:41   #5
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Iain
Well this is my first Vida rodeo and I hadn't got to that thought yet. I'll look at that tomorrow. Thanks Iain.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 21:20   #6
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Presumably though a low and especially empty tank would generate an error?

Dougie.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 21:53   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

definately theres a you tube vid that shows toping the tank on a c30 v50 will be similar if not the same
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 16:13   #8
iainmd

Double check that the two pressure pipes to/from the DPF are intact and not worn through. The sensor is mounted to the side of the battery housing and two ~10-12mm pipes run to the DPF. Check the length of them to ensure they are intact.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 20:24   #9
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Double check that the two pressure pipes to/from the DPF are intact and not worn through. The sensor is mounted to the side of the battery housing and two ~10-12mm pipes run to the DPF. Check the length of them to ensure they are intact.
Iain, I asked my mechanic buddy to check the DPF vacuum sensors while he was doing the glow plugs, and he spotted the two pipes were the wrong way round. I ran the car through Vida when I got home, and the sensor is now reading correctly.

What now show as DTCs are a faulty additive level sensor, particulate trap blocked, and an ECMA610 ADM - Qualifier unknown error which I'm sure is down to the lack of info from the ADM.

So the current situation is: -
• When checking live info, the ADM pump and ADM sensor are both showing as not working
• I ran two manual regens which appeared to complete correctly. However, it was after the first one that the Particulate trap blocked error appeared.

I've ordered PAT fluid and will fill the tank next week despite not knowing whether it's full or empty due to the allegedly faulty sensor. The car meantime went into limp mode this afternoon.

I still don't know whether there actually is a faulty ADM sensor and pump or whether the tank is empty (the level was reset blindly a month ago before I got Vida so to my mind, I'm inclined to believe that the ADM thinks it's full when in fact it's empty). Any input on this front would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dougie.

Last edited by goltho; Feb 26th, 2021 at 20:26.
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 23:48   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

From memory there's a procedure to read off the current level.
Most likely in Diagnostics >Vehicle Communication >ADM (from the overhead vehicle diagram) >Advanced

Additionally, for any fault codes, click on the code in the Initial State tab then View Information for an explanation of the fault and the possible causes and fixes.

Last edited by cheshired5; Feb 26th, 2021 at 23:50.
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: