Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice please: Selling with 19inch or 21inch wheels

Views : 1509

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:56   #1
desiebear

Default Advice please: Selling with 19inch or 21inch wheels

Hello all,

Just wanted some advice from the collective wisdom. The time has come for the XC90 to depart as it’s at the end of it’s PCP. Due to me going way above the mileage allowance I’m selling the car via a brokerage. I currently have 19 inch Volvo turbine wheels on it with cross climates, the car came with 21inch wheels which I still have.

The brokerage says it doesn’t matter what it sold with as they are genuine Volvo OEM wheels and it shouldn’t affect the price. I’m joust wondering am I better selling the 21’s as they are in excellent condition with Volvo Noise Cancelling Pirelli tyres on it with loads of thread/life in them or swap them and sell the 19’s? Also does anyone know if alloy wheel size affects resale price? The car is going cheap given it’s high spec but high mileage so want to get the most for it.

Thanks for reading and responding.
desiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 12:09   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

I'm not sure it matters that much as the rim size is a somewhat personal choice on the part of the buyer.

21" rims look great, but balloon tires are comfy as heck (well, comfier).

For want of an arbitrary choice based on trim level, I'd go with:

Momentum & Inscription - 19"
R Design - 21"

Which is in line with what people expect to see.
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 13:48   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Plenty of people will want to buy 19" wheels for either winter wheels or a smoother ride, they might sell easier, I would put thd 21" wheels on the car.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 14:03   #4
desiebear

Thanks for the reply both, I was thinking the same thing regarding the tyres.

I bought the “dynamic pack” which was the option to get air suspension in 2017 and it came with the 21’s, look nice but the ride is better on the 19’s plus more options with tyres.

Overall probably better to put the 21’s back on.

Last edited by desiebear; Feb 26th, 2021 at 15:08.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 15:45   #5
Rocinante
Master Member

If it won't change the value of the car, depending on timing, could you put both sets of tyres up for sale and see which sells first or for most ?

And sell the car with the set that didn't sell.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 17:25   #6
desiebear

Haven’t got the time unfortunately for listing separately as a combination of work and the need to sell before the new car arrives makes it tricky.

I have an XC60 with the same size tyres so worst comes to worst I can use the 19 inch tyres on it as they have plenty of life left in them. I’ve had 40,000 + miles from the previous set of cross climates on the XC90, good tyre!
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:19   #7
Steve XC60
Structural member

I would put the original wheels back on.

A couple of other things to add into the list of considerations:

If you search against the VIN, I think it will show the original factory fit wheels and so anyone buying the car who does their homework will see the wheels have changed and so could ask questions (what happened to the 21s?).

Also, a change of wheels from the factory fit is a modification for many insurers and so, again, anyone buying who spots the modification will see it as a hassle to have to always inform insurers that it has different wheels from that which it was first supplied with.

Just a couple of extra thoughts!
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:51   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Sell with the 19 inches.

The 21 inches will go for a lot of money to someone who wants to restrict their tyre choice, ruin their cars ride handling, and spend a stack of money on tyres to look ‘phat’ outside the school gate (mid life crises anyone 🤣!).
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:58   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiebear View Post
Hello all,

Just wanted some advice from the collective wisdom. The time has come for the XC90 to depart as it’s at the end of it’s PCP. Due to me going way above the mileage allowance I’m selling the car via a brokerage. I currently have 19 inch Volvo turbine wheels on it with cross climates, the car came with 21inch wheels which I still have.

The brokerage says it doesn’t matter what it sold with as they are genuine Volvo OEM wheels and it shouldn’t affect the price. I’m joust wondering am I better selling the 21’s as they are in excellent condition with Volvo Noise Cancelling Pirelli tyres on it with loads of thread/life in them or swap them and sell the 19’s? Also does anyone know if alloy wheel size affects resale price? The car is going cheap given it’s high spec but high mileage so want to get the most for it.

Thanks for reading and responding.
I would also comment that I would have thought most people would prefer the 19s on the car to buy? I know I would.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 17:30   #10
desiebear

Had an hour to spare so put the 21’s on, They do look good!

Before and after pic taken and attached (I hope)

Thanks for all the responses. Hard to know what’s best to do but I think I’ll sell with the 21’s as they were the original fitted wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 93D27ED2-A0B9-49D9-9E40-3AE5277F732E.jpeg (141.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpeg C19D8D05-E48F-4509-95B2-2DB1F76D125B.jpeg (143.1 KB, 84 views)