Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

water leaking into B-pillar S-60 2003

Views : 406

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 10:59   #1
stinkyvolvo

Default water leaking into B-pillar S-60 2003

I have water getting into the car, soaking the floor under the drivers seat and rear foot well, puddling when it rains hard. Just noticed it last week but the problem has been there for a year or two I suspect. I checked the door seals and they are not leaking. There is no water gettin in around the windows or anywhere that can be seen around the doors. When water is sprayed onto the roof it can be heard dripping down through the pillar and onto the floor. The only place that it could be getting in (as far as I can tell) is through a hole in the drain channel on the edge of the roof. If I could get the plastic strip off the channel or the plastic panels off the B-pillar then the hole should become apparent, but... the side curtain airbag is in the pillar, and the strip on the roof doesn't look removable without destroying it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by stinkyvolvo; Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:02. Reason: typing errors
stinkyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 14:19   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Bunch of videos about this. On one I explain how to have the srs curtain dried, also how to remove all carpets
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nt+volvo+water
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...o+water+airbag
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 14:32   #3
stinkyvolvo

Thanks for the information. The water is getting in through the B-pillar, it can be heard dripping there, not at the front under the dash or into the drivers footwell, although the footwell is a bit wet from the water coming through the carpet from the back.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 16:36   #4
DrKert

Has the car got a sun roof?
I've heard problems with the drainage holes getting blocked and has become part of my regular routine to run water through to keep them clear..
I'd check how close to the bulk head the water is and make sure your not loosing water from the heater matrix... Happened on the wife's car a couple of weeks ago and the garage want to charge £1600 to remove the whole dash... Going to the scrap yard now (only a focus), will get her an ovlov now
DrKert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:44   #5
stinkyvolvo

No sun roof (or moon roof), not sure about the heater matrix, will check that one out, though I heard many years ago that when the matrix goes it makes a horrible bad smell, which My car doesn't have. I have a suspicion it might be the drain from the aircon, gets blocked and then the water comes into the car, such a great design feature! Just had the panels off the door pillar and strip off the roof and no water coming in where I thought it was.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:24   #6
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi. Do you have the roof-rails fitted ?
If so , then a prime suspect would be the fixing screws for the above.
These screws are located in the drainage channel along the roof edge and have a water seal on them which does degrade over time.
If you carefully remove the cover on the vertical of the roof-rail you will see two screw heads. Remove one at a time and apply a waterproof sealant. Don`t remove both screws as there is a risk that the nut-plate inside the roof may fall off. It`s well worth doing all the fixing screws whilst you`re at it.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 15:09   #7
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Doh ! It`s a 60.
Should have read the post properly.
There is a trim strip though so i`m wondering if fix points are under that .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote