Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Common or uncommon - headlights?

Views : 946

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 14:43   #1
Umski

Default Common or uncommon - headlights?

A pigeon decided to annihilate itself at 60mph the other day - annoyingly it hit the OS headlight which already had a chip in it and caused a huge crack in the glass. Usually I just head to fleabay for a used item but I was surprised how few there were around - a new glass is just under £40 which seems fair. However on closer part number inspection, I realised my lights have a black internal surround bezel rather than pure chrome which I'd never even noticed before and almost hit 'Buy it Now' until I cross referenced the part numbers - not a biggie as I could just use the glass but I was just wondering how common this black - I remember from my Spitfire days that trim and changes were a big thing when it came to originality and the year of production or cross-overs - I always assumed that in more "modern" cars, phase changes where pretty distinct though appreciate around the year of change there may be some similarities - mine is a V40 52 plate so right in the middle of phase 2...

Just curious

Last edited by Umski; Aug 1st, 2022 at 14:51.
Umski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 18:59   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Black bezels were standard on the sport lux trim - no idea if it was also on other trim levels. The really rare bezels are the black with a chrome ring around the light. The bezels don't affect the glass lens as totally seperate.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 09:40   #3
Umski

Ah! Thanks, I knew someone would know - that explains it then as I do indeed have a Sport Lux, though surprised they decided to do this just on this or a select trim level Nonetheless as you say the glass is identical so I may just go down then route of swapping that over from a good unit. I can't not take notice of others now when I see them out and about, although that seems to be getting rarer!
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 20:41   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umski View Post
Ah! Thanks, I knew someone would know - that explains it then as I do indeed have a Sport Lux, though surprised they decided to do this just on this or a select trim level Nonetheless as you say the glass is identical so I may just go down then route of swapping that over from a good unit. I can't not take notice of others now when I see them out and about, although that seems to be getting rarer!
I have just checked the specs and the black surrounds were fitted to Sport and Sport Lux. Many of the trim options were only fitted as standard to certain trim levels, chrome handles being a classic example. These were only fitted to SE trim levels, yet many folks 'upgrade' the black handles to chrome. The black handles do not break, yet the chrome ones do with frequent regularity.

The trim levels were 'bog standard', SE, Sport and Sport Lux in that order. In addition to these there were the optional packs, such as Winter Pack that gave headlamp washers, heated seats and plush interior floor mats.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 14:19   #5
Umski

Yes when I was looking in 2002 I looked up the trims on Parkers and saw that the Sport Lux had most 'stuff' however it suggested that all Sport Luxes had heated seats, which I later realised may also have been part of the winter pack (hence headlight washers which ceased to work after a short while in my ownership!) I don't think I've come across chrome handles, I think I'd prefer black anyway Similar to the fake wood interior trim - prior to my V40 I bought my in-laws a 1.8 petrol phase 1 though don't recall what the trim level was - it had the brown wooden interior trim parts which I hated but they didn't mind! That one died after the cambelt went - their trusted mechanic had never offered to check or replace it

Here's a pic of my pigeon-splattered light - are these the standard black bezel style?

IMG_0472.JPG
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 20:58   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Yes when I was looking in 2002 I looked up the trims on Parkers and saw that the Sport Lux had most 'stuff' however it suggested that all Sport Luxes had heated seats, which I later realised may also have been part of the winter pack (hence headlight washers which ceased to work after a short while in my ownership!) I don't think I've come across chrome handles, I think I'd prefer black anyway Similar to the fake wood interior trim - prior to my V40 I bought my in-laws a 1.8 petrol phase 1 though don't recall what the trim level was - it had the brown wooden interior trim parts which I hated but they didn't mind! That one died after the cambelt went - their trusted mechanic had never offered to check or replace it

Here's a pic of my pigeon-splattered light - are these the standard black bezel style?

Attachment 142393
Those are the rare and ultra desirable chrome ring black bezels. Attachment shows my standard black bezels for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220803_150604 (2).jpg (200.0 KB, 14 views)
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 09:48   #7
Umski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Those are the rare and ultra desirable chrome ring black bezels. Attachment shows my standard black bezels for comparison.
Oooh that is quite subtle, I never would have spotted that difference unless you'd mentioned it! It would also explain why when I bunged in the part number it didn't come up with much. Glad the unit is intact and just need to replace the glass in that case, although realise that the glass I found was the phase 1 type with the lens pattern rather than just plain glass - I think salvaging the glass from a 'common' unit might be the way
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 14:39   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Oooh that is quite subtle, I never would have spotted that difference unless you'd mentioned it! It would also explain why when I bunged in the part number it didn't come up with much. Glad the unit is intact and just need to replace the glass in that case, although realise that the glass I found was the phase 1 type with the lens pattern rather than just plain glass - I think salvaging the glass from a 'common' unit might be the way
Glad to have helped. You do need the clear glass from a phase2. Having had a phase 1 previously and covered over 300,000mls in it I can confirm the phase2 lights are so much better.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 14:42   #9
Umski

Well I waited and played for time and lo and behold ebay came up trumps - and with the chrome with black ring bezel variety so I've ordered the whole unit which will be less faff than swapping the glass (I hope!) - I would have gone for any unit just to salvage the glass originally but I lucked out!

The seller also has the NS unit so if you're interested (ITSv40)? I'm not sure how long my V40 will live on for but I was planning to offer mine up to you in the future if it came to it as you've always been very helpful however if you go for the NS one on ebay, I'll happily offer my OS with the broken glass and you could swap it over?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394259322...cAAOSwZCljMVnx

Last edited by Umski; Sep 26th, 2022 at 14:46.