Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 CC drive mode switch retrofit

Views : 6816

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2021, 15:32   #11
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Only ECO mode.
?? no mode is possible to access and activate without using the drive mode switch.
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 09:48   #12
Fursty Ferret

See attachment directly from owner's manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-02-08 094725.jpg (116.8 KB, 86 views)
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 01:09   #13
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
See attachment directly from owner's manual.
yes but from what i understood from ZenSpeedmaster's question, he was asking if not the drive mode switch, is it possible to choose and activate drive modes?? In that case No. It is not possible.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 10:20   #14
Fursty Ferret

Like I said, without the drive mode switch the only mode that can be activated is Eco, via the central display.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 12:02   #15
ZenSpeedmaster

Such a pity the car doesn't have this switch. A Cross Country without Off Road mode? It makes not sense to me.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 12:44   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
Hi all,

I recently acquired a V90 cross country. It is an amazing car but to my great surprise the car doesn't have a drive mode switch. This is usually located just behind the engine start toggle and would allow me to select eco / dynamic / off road drive modes.

No doubt this missing feature is a quirk of the seemingly strange Irish new vehicle delivery system where we often get screwed with lower spec cars than our neighbours in the UK. You might be interested to learn that we import well over 100,000 secondhand cars per year from the UK into Ireland. Usually considerably more than the amount of new cars registered actually!

The drive mode switch wasn't a deal breaker and I'm glad I bought the car anyway but now I wonder could the switch be retrofitted and the car's software updated to match? It would be nice to have the sportier engine and gearbox characteristics offered by dynamic mode and I would love to have offroad mode considering it is a cross country. I am also very interested in getting the Polestar optimisation but would this be possible without the drive mode switch?

I looked at dozens of V90s online, mostly in the UK, before buying this one. They all had that drive mode selector switch. When I found the V90 CC I actually finally bought, it was the only V90 I had seen without the switch.

I did some further research afterwards and I managed to find maybe 2 or 3 other V90s for sale that don't have it but they are the most basic models. It's a little hard to believe that they sold this V90 cross country without the ability to select off road mode. Also it is D5 which is the highest power diesel so I would have assumed that the ability to select the dynamic/sporty mode would be standard!

I'm sure I can fit the switch easily enough but I wonder if the cars software can be updated to give me the driving mode options. Any ideas?

No , it's factory fit only ..
It is no big loss to be frank ..
what not put your money on a Polestar upgrade instead ....
you will have all the modes at once and more

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-515657/2021
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 14:06   #17
ZenSpeedmaster

Yes I saw on their website and it says that my car is approved for polestar optimisation. But without dynamic / polestar mode being available will I actually see any improvement in the car in the standard / comfort mode I'm stuck with? The dealership were unsure. It even says on that link that DMS (drive mode system) should be selected to enhance the experience of polestar optimisation. If I thought it would improve the sluggish gearbox, widen the power band and send more power to the rear wheels I would seriously consider it. But I need to be sure it actually improves the car without being able to switch into the dynamic drive mode before I take the plung as the upgrade is €740 + 21% VAT + labour
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 22:57   #18
met24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
But without dynamic / polestar mode being available will I actually see any improvement in the car in the standard / comfort mode I'm stuck with?
I hope it wasn't just perception and wanting to feel that I'd got value for money, but I'm pretty sure that the midrange on my T5 is better in Comfort mode.

Quote:
If I thought it would improve the sluggish gearbox, widen the power band and send more power to the rear wheels I would seriously consider it.
Ah yes, on the D5 I remember reading it did bias more torque to the back.

I can't say I noticed a massive difference in the gearbox behaviour, mind you coming from a car with paddle shifters I'd already mentally made that switch to "just let the car deal with it unless you really need to override it".

Ironically if you look at the numbers for the T5 you'd be forgiven for thinking that it narrows the maximum torque band, but I suspect (in the absence of a power/torque graph) that the original maximum torque is still there but they've got a bit more out in the centre.

Quote:
But I need to be sure it actually improves the car without being able to switch into the dynamic drive mode before I take the plung as the upgrade is €740 + 21% VAT + labour
Wait until your dealer is doing a deal -- I bought mine at about half price, and over here they generally offer a 14 day trial on it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 03:52   #19
ZenSpeedmaster

Now I'm sorry I forgot to update this thread with the little info I got from Volvo but they told me that retrofitting the drive mode switch in the volvo dealership is a no go. They also don't offer the 14 day trial of polestar in Ireland.

My experience of Volvo Ireland has been extremely negative. They have absolutely no interest in helping out. Their communication is terrible - both Volvo the company and my nearest dealership. I haven't gone anywhere near them since my warranty expired. After they quoted me €400 for an oil change and air and cabin filters I deleted their phone number!

I have been toying with vdash and I see that 'drive modes' is listed as an available parameter in the experimental side of the car configuration tab. I have had my CEM unlocked so I will explore this route.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 00:37   #20
chemkay

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm in the US and my SPA XC60 does not have a drive-mode switch nor can I go into Sensus and change the drive mode. I only have eco and it defaults to comfort, like yours.

I have asked several dealerships if it's possible to do - I don't know why they couldn't do it. It's just software, the drive modes should be accessible without the physical switch too. And if I get the Polestar tune, I doubt I will get the drive-modes.

I just bought a VDASH dongle so I can look around in the configurations for drive-mode enabling. I'm not holding my breath but I feel like it might be in VDASH. Were you able to find the configuration in VDASH?
chemkay is offline   Reply With Quote