Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The woe continues

Views : 392

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 23:06   #1
SD40

Default The woe continues

Okay so,
I have had my S40 (2008 2.0 diesel Lux) for 18 months, a few problems along the way, but I love my Volvo.
About a couple of months ago I noticed an occasional and slight surging in power when accelerating hard in fifth and sixth.
It became worse, I changed the fuel filter...I had noticed air in the clear fuel line and thought it might be the cause. It seemed to cure it, so I thought that I would fit the spare cone air filter I had lying around. Fitted okay and tried it out, I heard a lot of unpleasant induction noise and the performance seemed sluggish and dull. I returned the intake to original but the performance didn’t really come back.
I obviously checked the intake system but found no problem.

The car went into limp mode showing an underboost code.
I cleared the code and it didn’t return.
However it feels like the engine is not producing boost. I bought a WiFi obd2 interface to use with torque pro, but it only worked a couple of times...much to my annoyance, so I haven’t been able to check the boost conclusively.

This is where the sore head begins.
I will condense the story, but suffice to say, that I have trawled through almost every thread on every forum trying to find a solution.
I have changed the inter cooler, visually checked the entire pressurised and vacuum sides of the engine system.
I have replaced the vacuum solenoids.
Replaced the MAP and MAF sensors.
Checked the throttle position sensor.
Used two treatments for sticking turbo vanes.

Its a lot of info, but hopefully someone can make some suggestions.
As I said initially, I know that there are other posts about very similar problems, but not many solutions.

Thanks for any help.
SD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 08:44   #2
rxtian

Hi Mate

Sorry I can't help directly as I don't have experience with that engine, but I think the best thing you can do would be to get a diagnostic scan with VIDA - the proper Volvo diagnostic tool. It's reasonably priced from eBay or sellers on here. You might even be able to find a local member who can help.

Even if there isn't a fault logged, VIDA has the ability to graph parameters as you drive - so you can spot things yourself.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 10:09   #3
bugsb

ok this may or not help only just passed this onto a member on another forum but this cheap tool was able to read the map/maf pressure on a x type jag/ mazda/vauxhall so no idea on a volvo , but was able to find on the x type 2.0D that the actuator was sticking due to sticking vains giving low readings on the map sensor .
do a search though as there are cheaper outlets
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D900-Car-...0AAOSwqT9cigBZ
another tool that works well on most cars is delphi /autocom if you have a spare laptop running winxp laying around or higher, delphi has so far done just about everything i have ever needed on many makers cars inc coding injectors /dpf regen and more cost is about £30-35 , just done a regen and eloys reset on my v50 1.6D
bugsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 14:03   #4
SD40

thanks for the replies guys.

I appreciate it.

i am surprised that this fault hasnt been stickied in the forum, it seems so common, but few have given an explanation or solution.

I have already contacted someone on the forum about VIDA.
rxtian thanks for the info about it, my concern was that i would buy VIDA at £100 odd, and it wouldnt give me enough info to find the fault.
i will look into the Delphi option again.

cheers.
SD40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no boost, poor acceleration, surging