Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0d steering lock intermittent

Views : 1424

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2019, 18:27   #1
Penrynian

Default V50 2.0d steering lock intermittent

A couple of times when trying to start the car, a message on the dash said to move the steering wheel then turn the key (or words to that effect).

Moved the steering wheel, the car then started and drove fine.

Then yesterday it wouldn't do anything at all.

Moving the steering wheel from lock-to-lock made no difference - just a few quiet clicks from within the dash/column area.

There was a complete lack of that nice, satisfying thunk when the steering lock solenoid opens or closes when the key is inserted or removed.

The AA patrolman (I was 65 miles from home) tried tapping the steering lock actuator with a small persuader, saying that sometimes then can get stuck - this was to no avail. The whole module was red hot as well.

While awaiting a tow truck I tried one more time and it all burst into life, at which point we called the AA and said thanks but no thanks to the relay and drove home.

Questions that have arisen from chatting to my local mechanic;

- is this likely to be caused by the steering lock actuator itself or the ignition keyhole thingy?

- can the steering lock module be replaced on its own, or is it part of a complete steering column swap.

If anyone has any experience with this situation I'd be grateful for a steer in the right direction (pun intended) :-)
Penrynian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 21:55   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrynian View Post
A couple of times when trying to start the car, a message on the dash said to move the steering wheel then turn the key (or words to that effect).

Moved the steering wheel, the car then started and drove fine.

Then yesterday it wouldn't do anything at all.

Moving the steering wheel from lock-to-lock made no difference - just a few quiet clicks from within the dash/column area.

There was a complete lack of that nice, satisfying thunk when the steering lock solenoid opens or closes when the key is inserted or removed.

The AA patrolman (I was 65 miles from home) tried tapping the steering lock actuator with a small persuader, saying that sometimes then can get stuck - this was to no avail. The whole module was red hot as well.

While awaiting a tow truck I tried one more time and it all burst into life, at which point we called the AA and said thanks but no thanks to the relay and drove home.

Questions that have arisen from chatting to my local mechanic;

- is this likely to be caused by the steering lock actuator itself or the ignition keyhole thingy?

- can the steering lock module be replaced on its own, or is it part of a complete steering column swap.

If anyone has any experience with this situation I'd be grateful for a steer in the right direction (pun intended) :-)
you need to get the steering lock changed very promptly , Otherwise you will need a tow truck to take it to the dealer , the column has to come out to change it and the new one will need software loaded .
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 09:29   #3
Penrynian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to get the steering lock changed very promptly , Otherwise you will need a tow truck to take it to the dealer , the column has to come out to change it and the new one will need software loaded .
Thanks for the succinct reply Clan, much appreciated.
So that I fully understand, the column has to come out, the lock has to be changed, then the original column goes back in with the new lock on it?
Not a whole new steering column?
I've never seen one of these naked, i.e. without the plastic trim around the steering wheel are, hence my dumb question.
Thanks again
Phil
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 10:10   #4
mr tickle

Talking

Mine failed last year in very similar circumstances, eventually got it to unlock and left it with volvo for a replacement module and the required software programming. I'm handy with the spanners, but as it all has to be programmed to the fobs and immobiliser I was happy (unusually) for it to go to main dealer this time.

I think I paid about £240 which included an hour and half of labour although it took them about three to do it.

If the problems go away for now, you can guarantee that it will re-occur in the most inconvenient place too - mine happened whilst we were on a weekend break celebrating our anniversary
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 10:16   #5
Penrynian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post

If the problems go away for now, you can guarantee that it will re-occur in the most inconvenient place too - mine happened whilst we were on a weekend break celebrating our anniversary
I know what you mean Mr T, we were on a beach in North Devon, luckily it was a nice day and we had food, drink, loos close by so wasn't too desperate a situation. Could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for the heads-up - my local indie garage happens to have an ex-Volvo tech on their staff so I will have to call them and get a price.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 10:31   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrynian View Post
Thanks for the succinct reply Clan, much appreciated.
So that I fully understand, the column has to come out, the lock has to be changed, then the original column goes back in with the new lock on it?
Not a whole new steering column?
I've never seen one of these naked, i.e. without the plastic trim around the steering wheel are, hence my dumb question.
Thanks again
Phil
yes , take the column out , drill out the security screws fit the new lock with new screws and re fit the column , less than an hour once you have done one .
It becomes a little more difficult if the lock is stuck on ..
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 17:31   #7
mypaulra

A similar thing happened to my S40. Thing wouldn't start but there were lights all over the dash. Sadly a trip to Volvo and almost £600 later... ...
mypaulra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 08:47   #8
cwmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypaulra View Post
A similar thing happened to my S40. Thing wouldn't start but there were lights all over the dash. Sadly a trip to Volvo and almost £600 later... ...
Same for my old S40, new lock, coding etc, I think it was around £500ish so not cheap!
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 15:59   #9
Glovemonkey

Default Potential fix?

Hi I had this issue. Removed the steering lock . Freed the sticky lock using a gentle persuader. I have a video if anyone wants it ?
Glovemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 18:13   #10
Glovemonkey

Default Video

https://youtu.be/Hx95njO31yo
Glovemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote