Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025237

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 11:52   #2161
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was going to suggest spraying the original speaker covers that came with the car Alan, some plastic primer followed by BL Champagne Beige would be a good match for your interior.

You could either pop the mesh out before spraying to give a bit of contrast once refitted or spray the mesh as well for an "all-in-one-colour" look.

Meanwhile the replacemenit grilles are looking good!
I did consider that Dave, but the orange ones stand a little more proud and are circular, so the window winder just catches them at the top of its stroke.

The new ones are a less different shape than the Volvo fitment cigar boxes. I think the Champagne Beige you suggest would look fine on the new grey ones - don't you think?

Alan
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 11:58   #2162
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I did consider that Dave, but the orange ones stand a little more proud and are circular, so the window winder just catches them at the top of its stroke.

The new ones are a less different shape than the Volvo fitment cigar boxes. I think the Champagne Beige you suggest would look fine on the new grey ones - don't you think?

Alan
Indeed Alan, my suggestion was open to modification so spraying the new grilles if they're more suited to the window winder clearance that would be a better way.

PS this is the colour i was referring to, i think it's pretty close to the colour of your interior?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Dec 23rd, 2020 at 12:02. Reason: Colour "Swatch"
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 12:44   #2163
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Indeed Alan, my suggestion was open to modification so spraying the new grilles if they're more suited to the window winder clearance that would be a better way.

PS this is the colour i was referring to, i think it's pretty close to the colour of your interior?

A cold sweat inducing image there , Sir!
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 15:03   #2164
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
A cold sweat inducing image there , Sir!
The All-aggro does have that effect on people! I first searched for "BL Champagne Beige" and was presented with loads of images of champagne blonde ladies looking lovely after using the accompanying ads for hair dye!

Next search was "Allegro Champagne Beige" as it was shorter to type than "Ambassador Champagne Beige" which might have been a bit less scary!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 15:44   #2165
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi- couple of comments on engine removal and replacement:

Buy a load leveller, they’re essential for the job.

First off, take the front wheels off and support the front of the car on axle stands under the front jacking points so the car is level. Remove the front slam panel as part of the strip down (these are spot welded into place on a later car, so I would have suggested drilling out the spotwelds and replacing them with nuts and bolts of your car was later).

Once the engine crane is in place and taking the weight of the engine and gearbox, remove the engine mounts and the 4 bolts holding the engine cross member to the car body. With the 4 bolts removed, push the engine cross member down as far as you can, this will provide a valuable extra bit of room. You don’t need to remove anything else- like the suspension or brake components.

Regarding the interior parts- SEM ‘Camel’ is an excellent match for the beige interior, I’ve used it previously to paint replacement black interior parts as beige parts are now very hard to find and as fragile as a crisp if you can find them.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C70289F-2528-4AF3-820E-C9236F8BBC8A.jpg (251.1 KB, 11 views)
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 17:14   #2166
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...wAAOSwAaVfoI2M

Alan:~
Just in case you may still be interested?
Ashlea Classics (good company for parts) have a pair for just under £20:00 plus £3:00 postage.
Regards Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (233.3 KB, 8 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 05:46   #2167
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...wAAOSwAaVfoI2M

Alan:~
Just in case you may still be interested?
Ashlea Classics (good company for parts) have a pair for just under £20:00 plus £3:00 postage.
Regards Bob
Many thanks Bob,
I quite like the idea of having fixed the rather garish orange covers that used to catch on the window winder with some more sober ones that cost me £2. It is within the ethos of the RB project (to constantly improve at low cost, but with no attempt whatsoever at an original restoration).
Thank you for the link though (but £20 for two pieces of plastic is too much for a tightwad like me).
Best wishes,
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 24th, 2020 at 07:55. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 10:16   #2168
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Same thoughts from a thrifty Lancashire lad!
All The Best
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 13:03   #2169
Othen
Premier Member

Default Cam Belt Tensioner

Regular readers will know the Royal barge is in a use and regular maintenance phase at the moment - but there are always little jobs that come up from time to time on a 40 year old motor car. I had noticed that a mouse appeared to be squeaking away somewhere at the front of the engine - the frequency seemed to be more or less proportional to engine speed so having eliminated the most obvious (alternator and steering belts) the prime suspect was the cambelt tensioner.

Readers may recall that I changed the RB's cambelt when swapped the cylinder head for a reconditioned one some months ago, but at that time the tensioner seemed fine but I didn't change it. I know, before anyone tells me... everything is easy with hindsight. Anyway, a new Gates tensioner cost £15 and was delivered a few weeks ago, it being quite a nice day (for January in England) I put the RB up on some ramps and swapped it today.

It took only a few minutes to pull off the under engine cover and the shroud containing the electric fan, which gave pretty good access to the front of the motor:

Fortunately on the B21a the cambelt cover can be removed after the alternator belts and is only held on by 4 bolts (a mix of 8mm/10mm/12mm - I wonder why Mr Volvo did that?):

With the motor at TBC one can just see the crank timing mark through this gap:

... so I marked the belt where it met the camshaft sprocket with both tippex and a think marker pen:

... and also the auxiliary sprocket:

... and pulled the belt off just enough to remove the tensioner:

Here is the crappy old idler and the smart new one:

... I know, I should have changed it with the belt etc, etc. A vice was pretty handy in getting the spring back into the new tensioner:

Everything went together pretty easily and my tippex/pen marks got the timing spot on (I wond it over a couple of times by hand and noticed the manufacturer's timing marks were still just visible on the belt, so I checked it again using them:

I suppose the whole job took about an hour and a quarter - including a break for a brew. The B21a is a really easy motor to work on.

The bearing in the old idler really was a bit noisy when I span in - so I think I saved it just in time.

I've just taken the RB for a test run and I'm pleased to say it is all nice and quiet again. I quite enjoy the RB keeping me busy with little jobs like this :-)

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2021.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 2nd, 2021 at 13:09.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 09:28   #2170
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Nice work; as has been said before about many things "hindsight has 20-20 vision".

As you say,the redblocks are easy to do most jobs on; number 4 spark plug on manual cars is a bit more difficult as the clutch master cylinder gets in the way and the camshaft mounted distributor has to rank as one of Volvo's less intelligent pieces of "design" but things like the timing belt set-up might almost have been designed with the owner-mechanic in mind.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: