Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025315

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 16:02   #3041
Moomoo
VOC Member

I only use my o/d button for overtaking, instead of the kick down.

Well I will, if I ever do overtake anything!🤨

( Likelihood, slim , it’s hilariously slow.).😁
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 16:32   #3042
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I only use my o/d button for overtaking, instead of the kick down.

Well I will, if I ever do overtake anything!🤨

( Likelihood, slim , it’s hilariously slow.).😁
... but the kick down would work just the same Andrew, so I don't think this is any loss at all. It also saves me having to wire up an O/D switch the RB doesn't have.

:-)
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 16:45   #3043
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... but the kick down would work just the same Andrew, so I don't think this is any loss at all. It also saves me having to wire up an O/D switch the RB doesn't have.

Oh yes , I’m fully up to speed with your plans. 👍
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 17:12   #3044
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
... and fourth gear!

Plus - I need an excuse to use this cool tool that I've just bought:

In reality it's missing the following 2 items:
1. A clutch asembly;
2. A manual gearbox;

Everything else is irrelevant.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 17:28   #3045
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
In reality it's missing the following 2 items:
1. A clutch asembly;
2. A manual gearbox;

Everything else is irrelevant.
We will have to agree to disagree about that one Loki; I quite like autos and if I made it a manual it would be the same as my three other motor cars. I do like the idea of a bit more torque from a B230a motor and it being less frenzied at motorway speeds with a 4 speeder gearbox.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Alan
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 17:43   #3046
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I had suspected that Mr Volvo lost the additional length of the AW70 gearbox by fitting a shorter front section of the prop shaft (that way the centre bearing would stay in the same place - requiring fewer production engineering fixes). Today I've heard from the B230/AW70's PO that the front section is (about) 46cm, I've just been out to measure the same on the RB and can see it is (about) 53cm - so about 70mm difference - Eurika!

The PO has agreed that we can swap prop shafts (or maybe just the front sections) when I pull the RB's motor and gearbox out of the car. So, that is the jigsaw almost complete:

Swap the prop complete Alan, the front parts will have been balanced to their respective back parts and you may both end up with unbalanced propshafts as a result.

Also if you have the "boomerang" shaped gearbox crossmember to mount the box, you may be able to turn it round to gain the 70mm difference without the need to drill and Rivnut RBs belly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 18:52   #3047
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

- I've inspected the rear extension, and I'm absolutely confident it will be a simple and direct swap to get a speedometer drive. I just need to identify the shaft seal and procure one (probably not from a motor factor, nitrile seals are much cheaper from machine parts suppliers and cost pence).

- I inspected the RB's shifter when I was fitting that new nylon bush and I'm confident it will be an easy fix; I don't think I'll have to cut the one I have.

- I'm confident the gearbox cross member will fit 70mm (or thereabouts) further to the rear with just two M10 steel rivnuts.

Another lovely day in paradise :-)
The seal is Volvo part #3549226 - it also fits lots of Vauxhalls and Opels, it seems to be an ordinary 42x55x10 R23 nitrile seal, so I've bought one for about £4 (delivered).

It looks like the front holes on the crossmember will fit the rear bolt holes on the RB (70mm apart), so I may just weld two tabs onto the front and use the original holes in the chassis.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 30th, 2022 at 19:45.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 21:06   #3048
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The seal is Volvo part #3549226 - it also fits lots of Vauxhalls and Opels, it seems to be an ordinary 42x55x10 R23 nitrile seal, so I've bought one for about £4 (delivered).

It looks like the front holes on the crossmember will fit the rear bolt holes on the RB (70mm apart), so I may just weld two tabs onto the front and use the original holes in the chassis.

What about the bush Alan? No point renewing the seal if the bush is worn as the new seal won't last. For an extra few quid, you can do the whole job properly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 22:24   #3049
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What about the bush Alan? No point renewing the seal if the bush is worn as the new seal won't last. For an extra few quid, you can do the whole job properly.
One has to draw the line somewhere Dave, otherwise everything will get renewed and it will cost £10,000. There is no evidence to suggest the bushing is worn, I’m only changing the seal because it is coming off the shaft when I swap the extension, it isn’t leaking now.

A £4 seal, half a sheet of gasket paper, a free solenoid modification plus a 20p nitrile ring will do for me - oh, and a gallon of ATF, let’s say £25 to sort the gearbox, that is in line with the RB’s ethos :-)

I’m hoping the engine will be the same, it was £26 for a full top end gasket set and I already have the bottom end set. A new cam belt was a tenner. With a gallon of oil it should only cost £50 or so.

Well, that’s the plan anyway :-)
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 22:55   #3050
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
One has to draw the line somewhere Dave, otherwise everything will get renewed and it will cost £10,000. There is no evidence to suggest the bushing is worn, I’m only changing the seal because it is coming off the shaft when I swap the extension, it isn’t leaking now.

A £4 seal, half a sheet of gasket paper, a free solenoid modification plus a 20p nitrile ring will do for me - oh, and a gallon of ATF, let’s say £25 to sort the gearbox, that is in line with the RB’s ethos :-)

I’m hoping the engine will be the same, it was £26 for a full top end gasket set and I already have the bottom end set. A new cam belt was a tenner. With a gallon of oil it should only cost £50 or so.

Well, that’s the plan anyway :-)
I had a feeling you'd offer that argument Alan, the bushes are known to wear badly on the AW70 and for the small cost when you're almost there in terms of doing it (drift it out after removing the seal then drift the new one in after correctly aligning it) it will save you its cost in lost ATF, not to mention the grief of having to do it a few thousands miles down the road if you don't do it now.

As you can see, this bush had also been spun by picking up on the shaft due to wear. This reduced the oil supply to it causing more premature wear.

New bush and seal fitted, ready for the back of the gasket paper to be sprayed with carpet glue prior ro setting the extension housing on it. Once the glue had dried, a ball pein hammer tapped out the bolt holes and a Stanley knife cut the larger holes.

Seriously, for the cost of the bush now (with the seal, total ~ a tenner ish) it saves in the long run!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: