Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026660

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2022, 11:27   #3061
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fairlyt sure it can go either way Alan, there are holes in the bush to line up with oilways on the housing but that's radial alignment rather than axial.

If you're using a press, pushing the bush inwards to remove it would certainly be the better method than trying to push it out, unless my memory decieves me and it can only go in/out one way.
See the green book post above Dave - there is no lip so it can go either way. It will ne easy with a bearing press and a big socket.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 11:51   #3062
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... another little surprise, my AW70 gearbox turns out to be an AW71:

I don't think this changes the price of fish :-)
Nope, fish is still expensive!

There are basically three similar gearboxes, AW70, 71 and 72 - all much of a muchness (i think change points are slightly different but nothing wildly different) and each can have the suffix E or L or LE denoting Electronic control, Lock-Up torque converter or both.

My experience with mine (non Lock-up) suggests in OD the TC torque multiplication is minimised and it's near enough direct drive anyway. Certainly at 70 ish the car just powers forward when i squeeze the loud pedal, if i want to overtake quicker than it wants to move in 4th/OD then i either have to hit the OD defeat button to drop it into 3rd or use kickdown which usually drops it into 2nd which i prefer not to do on the motorway.

I was sure it could go either way on the bush Alan, intersting about the blind hole being opposite the groove, didn't have that info when i did mine but it opens the oilway up so that means mine is in correctly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 17:10   #3063
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm delighted to report that the RB continues to improve with no more input from myself. The smoking I'd noticed on the way back from Calverton has disappeared - I'm coming to think this was just a combination of the assembly oil I'd used and the sooty contents of the exhaust pipe burning off, plus the new piston rings bedding in to the bores - you were right John, I was wrong.

With all 4 cylinders back up to healthy compression the RB has responded really well to a bit of tuning of the very simple Pierburg carburettor (there are only really two things to adjust) and is probably running better now than it was 20 years ago. I'm just waiting for that little auto shifter bush to arrive to complete the picture.

That is fantastic of course, I'm pleased with my handiwork (changing the rings) and also that the RB is back to good health. It does give me something of a dilemma though: a month ago I thought the B21a motor was getting too tired and I'd have to replace it to keep the RB going - hence the B230/AW70 sub project. I'm still at the thinking stage of the sub-project as there is no longer any rush to save the RB. I have 3 options:
a. No Change. Just run the RB on with the original B21a/BW55 combination, sell the B230e/AW70 and pretend nothing happened. Although this is sort of tempting, having come this far I think I can probably discount this course of action (COA). I quite like the idea of enjoying a little more power from the 2.3l engine and a 4 speeder gearbox would be a really good improvement.

b. Performance Upgrade. Take my time to recondition the B230e motor and AW70 gearbox and solve all the engineering problems whilst it is still out of the motor car. Procure a LP and HP fuel pump, sort out a return fuel line and some more wiring, then fit the B230e/AW70 as they were designed with einspritzen. Lets call this the performance upgrade option - the RB ends up with 131HP and a 4 speed gearbox - but is obviously not the same motor car.

c. Look Original. Again take my time reconditioning the bottom end of the B230/AW70, but remove the 530 head, inlet manifold, CI system and 3 piece cam belt cover:

... replacing them with the 160 head, inlet manifold, Pierburg carburettor and one piece cam belt cover (I need to do that to get timing marks for the 160 head):

So: the song remains the same, everything looks identical to the way the RB is now, short of checking the casting marks or inspecting the front crank pulley no one would ever guess anything had changed. The hidden advantages would be about 112HP (vice 98HP) and a 4 speed gearbox (with the same PRND21 shifter). Another advantage of this is I don't need to bung the injector ports on the 530 head.
There could a few shades of grey between COA 'b' and 'c' of course.

There would be some engineering problems common to COAs 'b' and 'c': I'd need a shorter prop shaft (well, just the front half; I have this issue in hand with the AW70's PO), the ATF cooling lines would need extending a bit (I think I've solved this, see my post above), the gearbox cross member will need to move backwards about 50mm (solvable with two steel rivnuts I think) and the shifter linkage will need to be shorter (again, I can probably exchange it with the PO).

I'm very much in the thinking stage still, and the RB having sorted itself out (oh, me of little faith) I don't mind if this takes a while. I'd appreciate any comments on this estimate. I rather suspect Dave will like the idea on COA 'b'. I'm warming to COA 'c' - I sort of like the RB looking exactly as it does now: a 42 year old GL, but the advantages of an extra 200cc and another gear are obvious.

Comments on my musings would be much appreciated.

:-)

Alan

PS. I'll have to take either COA 'b' or 'c' because I've already invested in this crank locking tool and a 2.3l top end gasket set:

... !
So... Dan (for those who may not know, my son, aged nearly 18) and I had a chat about the RB B230/AW71 sub-project. I'd already decided I wouldn't start the engine/gearbox transplant until September when he goes back to school, so he suggested we test the water and see if a close to original motor car sells before I start warming it up slightly. We decided to place a classified ad on eBay today (I'll find a link to it in a mo) for 30 days, which takes us up to September (very conveniently).

The RB is probably running better now than it has for decades, and this is the ideal time of year to sell a motor car. We took some nice photos this morn (Dan is rather more artistic than am I) and I wrote some words.

The deal (between Dan and myself) is that we are doing COA a. from the above for the month of August. If the motor car sells at £4,500 then so be it, I'll have to let it go. In the meantime I'll continue with the preparatory work I was planning on the B230 motor and AW71 transmission.

If the RB doesn't sell this month then I continue with COA b. or c. from the post above.

Dan had noticed (from some sort of social media - I don't have any of that stuff) that Volvo 244s were suddenly becoming trendy in that way that Toyota Supras did at the start of the pandemic. So we are just testing the market.

If it does turn out that the RB doesn't sell (and I'm certainly not pushing it), then the B230/AW71 sub project will keep me busy for a little while in the autumn, and I'll end up with a good B21 motor and BW55 transmission to sell afterwards. If it does sell then I'll have a recently reconditioned B230, a complete Bosch K-Jetronic system and a serviced AW71 transmission to sell. Either way I'm fairly happy with the outcome (although I'd miss the RB), so one might say I have the best of both worlds.

I hope that all makes sense - I'll find a link to the RB's ad to post here in a mo. Time for a cuppa and then Bob's last walk first though.

Alan

PS. Here is the link to the eBay ad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185521008936

... now it is Bobwalkin' time.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 1st, 2022 at 18:30. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 17:23   #3064
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There are comments on your "Seriously" thread about the RB being relisted Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 17:44   #3065
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Really! That was rapid!!!
I'll have a look whist my cuppa is brewing.

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 18:21   #3066
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... you were pretty well there with your post on the 'Seriously?' thread Dave. We are just testing the water.

Dan and I only discussed this plan over dinner last eve, but he is on school hols at the moment so we had plenty of time to swing into action this morn. We changed the oil, re-fitted the under-car plastic panel that I'd repaired months ago (and had been leaning against my tyre changer since) and gave the RB a good wash and brush up. We were surprised how good the motor car looked and so drove out to take some nice photos in a country location (actually Great Oakley - just a mile away).

I'm quite surprised this caused so much interest (but that is a good thing). I notice the eBay ad has had 152 views and 16 people are watching - in just a couple of hours since I posted it. That either means there is a resurgence of interest in historic 244s and this is a good time of year for selling, or that there are lots of curious forum members that have taken a look :-). Actually I don't mind - if the RB sells at a good price then I'll be happy it will be used more than I have time to; on the other hand if I end up executing the B230/AW71 sub-project in the autumn that will be good as well.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 1st, 2022 at 18:23. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 21:17   #3067
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Dan had noticed (from some sort of social media - I don't have any of that stuff) that Volvo 244s were suddenly becoming trendy...
Have a sit down and brace yourself: The Volvo 240 is the ne plus ultra Hipster car all over the world, saloons more so: From Italy to Oregon, big money for 240s paid by young affluent avocado-toast munching single-speed bicycle riding fancy coffee slurping bearded urban trendsetters. (Tartan check shirt optional). Nothing says "I give a **** about the planet and screw Capitalism" more than a recycled Volvo, which is right about where the kids (13-35) are at nowadays. Also, every cool TV series & movie has to have one: California law or something.

Of course, our benighted isle has escaped much of this rocketing in values because of our misplaced steering columns keeps the market and supply local to UK & Eire: A mere doubling.or tripling in value over the last decade.
In continental Europe and North America, the £10k saloons we laugh at here are about middle of the market...

The attraction to what was a solidly middle class family vehicle but is now the chariot of the counterculture is broadly similar to the VW type 2 some fifty years ago.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 21:30   #3068
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Have a sit down and brace yourself: The Volvo 240 is the ne plus ultra Hipster car all over the world, saloons more so: From Italy to Oregon, big money for 240s paid by young affluent avocado-toast munching single-speed bicycle riding fancy coffee slurping bearded urban trendsetters. (Tartan check shirt optional). Nothing says "I give a **** about the planet and screw Capitalism" more than a recycled Volvo, which is right about where the kids (13-35) are at nowadays. Also, every cool TV series & movie has to have one: California law or something.

Of course, our benighted isle has escaped much of this rocketing in values because of our misplaced steering columns keeps the market and supply local to UK & Eire: A mere doubling.or tripling in value over the last decade.
In continental Europe and North America, the £10k saloons we laugh at here are about middle of the market...

The attraction to what was a solidly middle class family vehicle but is now the chariot of the counterculture is broadly similar to the VW type 2 some fifty years ago.
Ah, I see. Hipsters - yes, that is what Dan told me.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 22:13   #3069
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Ah, I see. Hipsters - yes, that is what Dan told me.

And I still believed that Hipsters were a type of trousers that I wore in my youth, Alan - another illusion bites the dust!

If you do sell the RB and still have a yen for a new project, I see that 'kishor kassie' is presently advertising some very tasty sounding motor cars ... just saying! Thinks: How about a nice PV to keep GAM company?

Regards, John.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 22:26   #3070
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
And I still believed that Hipsters were a type of trousers that I wore in my youth, Alan - another illusion bites the dust!

If you do sell the RB and still have a yen for a new project, I see that 'kishor kassie' is presently advertising some very tasty sounding motor cars ... just saying! Thinks: How about a nice PV to keep GAM company?

Regards, John.
Much the same John!

You may have guessed: I’m rather nonplussed about selling the RB; if it is meant to be it will be.

Whatever happens, I will still have GAM of course, and that nearly 60 year motor car will be my ongoing project. I still have to fit the OD inhibitor switch on that motor car, and afterwards there will be 101 other jobs…

Another lovely day in paradise,

Alan