Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026118

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 11:46   #3121
Othen
Premier Member

Default Royal Barge - The Next Chapter...

Having chatted it through with Luke I don't think I'll fit the AW71 gearbox before shipping the RB to its new home. Whilst I've already planned the sub-project and it would have been fun to complete the RB story, I'm not a professional mechanic and I'd be constantly worried that I'd got something wrong. If it was my motor car I'd notice anything untoward and would be able to fix it - but with a new owner 270 miles away it would trouble my conscience. Many thanks to Luke for his considered advice.

The RB is still running-in really, so trailering it to the Borders seems most sensible. I've checked everything out with a local trailer hire company from Oundle and can get what I need for £120/2 days. Bob and I will probably make an overnight trip of it some time this month. I'll look for a nice, dog-friendly hotel near Selkirk.

I still have a few things to do in order to get the AW71 ready, the first one was taking it off the engine (this morn's job). It only look about an hour - a lot easier on the back of my 3/4T trailer:

The flex plate bolts are a bit fiddle to get at - it is handy to have a 17mm ratchet ring spanner:

Once they are off then there are just half a dozen bolts holding the bell housing on, it all came apart easily - but remember to slide a jemmy down between the flex plate and the torque converter so it doesn't fall off (this was definitely easier with it out of the motor car):

... once it was off I wired over the torque converter.

I have a spare one of these, so I might as well weld a couple of tabs on the front so the new owner can just drill a couple of holes and it will be ready to hold the gearbox on the RB:

... I'll prepare the cooling lines with the push-fit connectors I bought as well.

This afternoon I'll take the oil pan off and have a look at the filter - I'm pretty sure it is the fairly coarse gauze type on this 'box, and so will just need a rinse in some kerosene. I think I have a spare gasket somewhere.

I'll put a Tesco's bag over the open end and give it a pressure wash, but that is it for the AW71. I'll look out for half a pallet to strap it to and it will be ready to go.

What I will do for the new owner is write him some detailed instructions on swapping the gearboxes: changing over the rear extensions (I'll include the bush and rear seal in a bag), fitting the cross member, cooling lines, prop shaft and shifter.

I should have it all ready for transit in a day or two.

I need to think of something to do with this beastie:

... I'll strip the external stuff off, change the 4 seals and the cam belt and give it a patch paint and brush up. After that I'll strap it to the other half of the AW71's pallet and either sell it or store it for another project...

... we'll see.

Another lovely day in paradise.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 5th, 2022 at 11:49.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 12:02   #3122
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Having chatted it through with Luke I don't think I'll fit the AW71 gearbox before shipping the RB to its new home. Whilst I've already planned the sub-project and it would have been fun to complete the RB story, I'm not a professional mechanic and I'd be constantly worried that I'd got something wrong. If it was my motor car I'd notice anything untoward and would be able to fix it - but with a new owner 270 miles away it would trouble my conscience. Many thanks to Luke for his considered advice.

The RB is still running-in really, so trailering it to the Borders seems most sensible. I've checked everything out with a local trailer hire company from Oundle and can get what I need for £120/2 days. Bob and I will probably make an overnight trip of it some time this month. I'll look for a nice, dog-friendly hotel near Selkirk.

I still have a few things to do in order to get the AW71 ready, the first one was taking it off the engine (this morn's job). It only look about an hour - a lot easier on the back of my 3/4T trailer:

The flex plate bolts are a bit fiddle to get at - it is handy to have a 17mm ratchet ring spanner:

Once they are off then there are just half a dozen bolts holding the bell housing on, it all came apart easily - but remember to slide a jemmy down between the flex plate and the torque converter so it doesn't fall off (this was definitely easier with it out of the motor car):

... once it was off I wired over the torque converter.

I have a spare one of these, so I might as well weld a couple of tabs on the front so the new owner can just drill a couple of holes and it will be ready to hold the gearbox on the RB:

... I'll prepare the cooling lines with the push-fit connectors I bought as well.

This afternoon I'll take the oil pan off and have a look at the filter - I'm pretty sure it is the fairly coarse gauze type on this 'box, and so will just need a rinse in some kerosene. I think I have a spare gasket somewhere.

I'll put a Tesco's bag over the open end and give it a pressure wash, but that is it for the AW71. I'll look out for half a pallet to strap it to and it will be ready to go.

What I will do for the new owner is write him some detailed instructions on swapping the gearboxes: changing over the rear extensions (I'll include the bush and rear seal in a bag), fitting the cross member, cooling lines, prop shaft and shifter.

I should have it all ready for transit in a day or two.

I need to think of something to do with this beastie:

... I'll strip the external stuff off, change the 4 seals and the cam belt and give it a patch paint and brush up. After that I'll strap it to the other half of the AW71's pallet and either sell it or store it for another project...

... we'll see.

I can understand your decision not to do the box swap. As you say working on your own motor is a big difference from one that’s on longer yours. Could have some consequences you could do without, despite the good intent.

Steady pootle, nice enjoyable trip!👍
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 12:21   #3123
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I can understand your decision not to do the box swap. As you say working on your own motor is a big difference from one that’s on longer yours. Could have some consequences you could do without, despite the good intent.

Steady pootle, nice enjoyable trip!👍
Thank you Andrew. I was sorely tempted to complete the RB story and fit the gearbox; I would have enjoyed that and I have pages of notes in my estimates book. Luke (much more of a professional mechanic) and I chatted it through and he was dead right: I'd have been worried I had not done something up properly for months. If it had still been my own motor car it would have been easy to commission, check and then check again. Anyway, I think that is the right decision, but I'll do whatever I can to prepare the ground for the Scot.

Again having thought through it - trailering the motor car up to Selkirk makes most sense. I can take Bob with me (he will love it) and we'll have a nice trip to a lovely part of our country. I'm thinking 22/23 August might be a good time for that trip (I'll have to check with Bob's PA to make sure he is available).

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 12:42   #3124
Moomoo
VOC Member

Bob’s PA, 😂 , love it!
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 13:17   #3125
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Bob’s PA, 😂 , love it!
Millicent (Bob's PA):

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 18:10   #3126
Othen
Premier Member

Default Royal Barge - The Next Chapter 2...

The AW71 is ready for transit. I took the oil pan off and everything looked pretty good: the residual ATF was still redish and the magnet in the sum hadn't attracted too many friends. I decided to remove the filter and give it a clean, on reflection this was probably a mistake as it was pretty clean anyway, and it takes ages to get all the bits of gasket off. Anyway, I gave it a blow through with the air line, a wash in some kerosene, then made up a pretty neat gasket (the leather stamps are really good for making neat bolt holes):

Everything looked good inside, no obvious sludge or metal particles:

... and finally a wash and brush up:

Last edited by Othen; Aug 5th, 2022 at 19:42.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 20:01   #3127
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The end of an era, brings a tear to my eye.

Now about that 760 turbo
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 21:20   #3128
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The end of an era, brings a tear to my eye.

Now about that 760 turbo
… no estates, no turbos… :-)
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 23:21   #3129
Steve 940
Premier Member

Ah, but what about an Amazon Estate with a Supercharger, no turbo😀

Next project, just saying.....

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 23:28   #3130
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Ah, but what about an Amazon Estate with a Supercharger, no turbo😀

Next project, just saying.....

Cheers
Steve
It is still an estate - and why would an Amazon need any more than 90HP?