Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Toy - 1998 V70R

Views : 8296

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2022, 20:35   #31
Fazat

You have been busy, Keep up the good work

Hopefully you find where the knocking noise is coming from soon.
Could it be a sub frame bush that is knocking? Just a guess.
Fazat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 10:23   #32
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Stay positive - your making good progress

Re the knocking, have you considered taking the car to an MoT test station? My Tester uses ramps with a 'jiggler' for testing - the car is raised on the ramps, then the 'jiggler' bounces the car all over the place so that the bushes are checked. I'd imagine that the source of the noise would be found in a couple of minutes on one of those, so it would be worth the likely 30 mins labour charge - just a thought.

Good luck!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 12:10   #33
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Stay positive - your making good progress

Re the knocking, have you considered taking the car to an MoT test station? My Tester uses ramps with a 'jiggler' for testing - the car is raised on the ramps, then the 'jiggler' bounces the car all over the place so that the bushes are checked. I'd imagine that the source of the noise would be found in a couple of minutes on one of those, so it would be worth the likely 30 mins labour charge - just a thought.

Good luck!
Been toying with the idea, my local is a classic car man (old open wheel Bugatti stuff mostly) who I've known for years. Loves old cars, hates modern ones, and is very good at 'suggesting' I repair something before next year, knowing it will always be done in a few weeks time.

I'll have a bit more fiddling, simply because I enjoy doing it, before going that route perhaps.
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 20:43   #34
CosmicBike

Driving home last night the knocking was notably worse, to the point where the car was put on the drive and I'm back in the old faithful 240 (which needs a PAS pump, but ho hum, at least nothing is in danger of falling off!).

Grabbed an hour this morning and whipped the NSF strut off, put my big boy pants on and wound up the spring compressor. I had to move it a coil after the pic to get it off the mount. I think fair to say the top spring mount is shot, new genuine one coming Friday. The bearing looked and felt OK so will go back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mount.jpg (158.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Strut.jpg (237.9 KB, 25 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 21:44   #35
CosmicBike

Quite a difference between the original spring top and the updated version, much more rubber bulk in the new one. Whilst the strut was off I cleaned off all the surface rust, gave it some Bilt Hamber treatment and a coat of paint.
All bolted back in this morning and we are rattle free at last. A decent 30 mile run out down the motorway and silent the whole way, so fingers crossed that's it done.
No more oil up the back of the engine either, so that was the turbo return seal into the sump.
Few bits to tidy on the bodywork, have a replacement N/S mirror on route, the current has had a decent wallop prior to my ownership and it's not fixable. Replacement is the wrong colour so looks like I'm painting again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (232.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg strut.jpg (262.9 KB, 18 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 21:10   #36
CosmicBike

Well now the nearside is so quiet, I can here the offside! Window down in the sunshine and there is a bit of a suspension knock/rattle on rough surfaces and manholes on the NSF. Based on the state of the one I've changed, it's probably worth doing the same. I guess at least I'll have 2 nice clean and painted struts...
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 21:44   #37
CosmicBike

Little bits getting done, sorted the broken drivers side wing mirror today and started changing the gearbox oil. Dropped 3 litres out, not too bad but very dark brown. Fresh 3 litres in, will run for a few hundred miles and repeat until I go through the 20 litre barrel.
Rather annoyingly what looked to be not too bad a crease on the passenger door is actually a bit worse, it's right on the strong point and has pinched the window channel, at least I know why the window won't go down now. Currently thinking of replacing the door along with the rear one which also has damage in an awkward place. No chance of matching the colour but I'm quite happy to paint the replacements.
All minor niggles really, it's a cracking motor to drive and now I'm comfortable with the mechanicals I'm starting to enjoy it, cosmetics will get done in due course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 13:08   #38
CosmicBike

I'm still hunting a minor coolant leak. Not enough to be a drip, but enough to see the level in the coolant tank drop over the course of a hundred miles. Nothing obvious engine on or off, no pressure build up in the coolant reservoir but I have replaced the cap as the old one had the tiniest crack in it. Oil is clean, gearbox oil is clean.
Compression test this morning gave a solid 13 bar on all 5 cylinders.
I have a pot of UV dye which I think I'll add and see if that gives me some pointers.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 19:07   #39
CosmicBike

I went over the engine bay last week, top to bottom, hot and cold, running and not, and cold not find a leak. This led to the compression test as which has proven clear. So I added the UV dye today and went of for a 30 mile jaunt to get it around the system.
Back home, UV torch out and found the leak very quickly on the turbo coolant feed line at the banjo connection to the turbo. Not the clearest of pictures but you can clearly see the UV dye.
I have a few spare crush washers from when I did the turbo oil return which needed the coolant return removing so that's one for the list.
Also sucked 200mil of fluid from the PAS reservoir, looks decidedly like coffee so replaced with Dexron 3 ATF and will, in a similar vein to the gearbox, replace a bit each few hundred miles until it looks better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220502_152249.jpg (180.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20220502_153113.jpg (187.3 KB, 28 views)
Old May 22nd, 2022, 13:23   #40
CosmicBike

And so the fun continues. I do enjoy working on all the cars, but sometimes a job is such pig that I wonder why I started it....

Decided to change the crush washers on the turbo coolant line, so big metal turbo pipe removed, 17mm spanner at the ready.

No chance. flexi 17mm ratchet spanner won't fit as it fouls the turbo body. Offset 17mm ratchet spanner, same. No space to get a handle on a 17mm socket. Eventually, a pair of different 17mm ring spanners with slightly different tooth offsets allowed me to undo the banjo bolt 1/100th of a turn at a time. Did a bit from underneath, a bit from on top.

Needed to remove part of the heat shield to get my hand in, parted with a bit of blood and skin on this job, but finally new washers in place and nipped up. There is also a very slight leak on the joint between pipe and banjo, so I'm going on the hunt for a new one of them, but suspect they are NLA...

Did another 3 litre gearbox oil drop whilst I was out there, the old was less dark and actually had a hint of red to it, so getting there.

Test run afterwards showed no issues, happy days. Little bit more to do then on to the cosmetics as it's a bit scruffy in places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbo coolant line leak.jpg (249.4 KB, 17 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post: