Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Subframe bushes - part number?

Views : 864

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2022, 09:42   #1
Zander99

Question Subframe bushes - part number?

My car has wandering steering, when I drive over potholes the steering seems to 'fall'/steer towards this bump. Going round corners over bumps the car seems to skip.

The mechanic says its likely subframe bushings. This seems possible, so I want to replace them and see what difference it makes.

The mechanic however has told me it will be £400~ all in which sounds ridiculous to me, after seeing the replacement video by Peppermint. Does this sound too expensive?

Im going to try replace them myself, but am struggling with part numbers - is it 31329239?

Finally, are all 4 bushings in the front all the same? I thought one of them has an oval shape hole.

TIA.
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 10:15   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

depending on how far gone they are you might get away with putting the inserts in:

ebay link

(and replace the bolts at the same time because they're stretchers)

as for replacing them as far I understand it it's a pretty involved job not least because you need to support the engine while dropping the subframe enough, and then getting them out somehow, let alone the cost of the bushes themselves

point to note, if you do have to drop the subframe then consider replacing (or at least check) the roll bar bushes at the same time - two birds one stone. you can get repair kits you don't have to replace the whole ARB

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 10:30   #3
Zander99

I dont know that they're bad; I tried having the car parked, steered a little left and right to see if the engine would move but it was solid. I might try again with the engine on and steer lock to lock.

Both mechanics I've gone to aren't 100% sure which is why I'm scared to spend the money then find out its not the bushings. Peppermint on YouTube has a video where he removes each bushing in no more than 15 minutes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9crInyMGhk

I ordered the polyurethane inserts a few days ago, DIY fitting them should be a doddle so I am tempted to try. It adds up to £40-50 which isn't too bad I suppose.
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 10:34   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

is definitely the quicker / cheaper thing to try first

just making sure the bolts are replaced and tightened to the correct torque+angle is the important bit I suppose

I take it the wishbone bushes have been looked at? that sounds like a possibility. or were the wishbones replaced with cheap ones at any point, because I had a temporary cheap set in and it did feel a bit 'wobbly'

mini project - link
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 10:56   #5
Zander99

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
is definitely the quicker / cheaper thing to try first

just making sure the bolts are replaced and tightened to the correct torque+angle is the important bit I suppose

I take it the wishbone bushes have been looked at? that sounds like a possibility. or were the wishbones replaced with cheap ones at any point, because I had a temporary cheap set in and it did feel a bit 'wobbly'
First mechanic said replace the control arms (he didn't specify which, I think he meant the pair). The second replaced one side. It does feel a bit better but still wandering on the motorway, especially when braking.

I should add I went through a massive pothole a while back that bent my rim. The MOT showed a damaged but not weakened shock absorber, and ever since then there is a intermittent shimmy from the left wheel. Especially when braking at higher speeds. Both mechanics say they cannot feel it on a test drive, but it is still there. I dont know if the two are connected
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 11:03   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

ah well sounds more like the subframe bushes won't make any difference now.. but the inserts are still easy enough to do I suppose

impossible to say really without a proper inspection, could be a damaged suspension component on that side (wishbone, balljoint, etc ?) who knows

which wishbone side did they replace do you know?

I'm assuming you've checked your wheel bolts are all done up tight lol

mini project - link
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 11:13   #7
Zander99

Well the pothole I hit with the front left wheel, and the control arm was replaced on that side. As far as bushings go he seemed to think almost all of them were tired but still within spec.

I bought new top mounts and 4 new shocks + springs, but both are reluctant to take any more money for what they see as a tired old car (already spent £600 on replacing lifters).
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 12:18   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander99 View Post
My car has wandering steering, when I drive over potholes the steering seems to 'fall'/steer towards this bump. Going round corners over bumps the car seems to skip.

The mechanic says its likely subframe bushings. This seems possible, so I want to replace them and see what difference it makes.

The mechanic however has told me it will be £400~ all in which sounds ridiculous to me, after seeing the replacement video by Peppermint. Does this sound too expensive?

Im going to try replace them myself, but am struggling with part numbers - is it 31329239?

Finally, are all 4 bushings in the front all the same? I thought one of them has an oval shape hole.

TIA.
You need a professional to diagnose the problem it is going to be very expensive guessing ..

It could be anything from alignment to something bent .

On the xc90 with very similar suspension this is caused by the inner wishbone bushes , but let a professional who has examined them tell you that ...
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 13:41   #9
Zander99

Therein lies the problem. I've been to two, Ive been to both before and they were brilliant with my VAG cars. It seems most mechanics dont know much about Volvo so they throw money at it until it works!

I think I may as well try the subframe bushing inserts, fit them myself and see if it helps.
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 15:21   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Did you say you already ordered all new springs and shocks?

Presumably when you fit that lot you'll find something either bent or wobbly and that will probably be the cause

Fronts are easy as any other car except you need a tool to undo the cross shaped top nut, have seen others do it with an adjustable wrench but I had no luck.

Back shocks are easy, springs are a total pain in the arse

mini project - link