Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RFID Protection

Views : 643

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 19:52   #1
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Default RFID Protection

Hello,

As my car has key less entry I wanted to reduce the risk of RFID nasties,

I was going for pouches but the reviews show that they fail in a short time

So what I did was to get one that is in effect a lidded box, it looks like a suitcase and is roughly the size of a 20 smokes packet and is found in the usual places online @ £14 GBP,

The key doesn't fit properly though, you have to place it buttons side in first at an angle, the lid then closes it up enough to block the signal, if you do it the other way round the buttons activate and all the windows go down, inside there's also a chain so your key can't drop out of it and get lost when opening the case fob,

So far this one works perfectly, you have to use a finger nail to prise it open each time you want to unblock the signal but it's no biggy imo,

Next I found one that looks like a Magnum ice lolly but has an on off switch, this one again works perfectly but the caveat is it's only big enough for the sports key ( LOOK FOR MY THREAD ON HOW TO RE-ENERGISE A DEAD ONE) and a spare blade for lockout events, you also have to tape the key into it as there's no chain and it will rattle about otherwise, best results are if you face the rear of the key towards the small circuit board inside the fob, this one was £13 and you don't even need to remove it from your pocket, you simply strap it to your belt loop of your strides and pocket it then when you want to use hand in pocket and slide the switch either way, word of warning mine didn't work first time, I had to on off it a few times then it's worked every time since, one thing I'm not certain about is if it uses a button cell for power, the switch has 2 screws so maybe if it does die later the cell can be replaced, no mention of it on the box,

I can't give you direct links as that would be advertising but a search engine of Key Signal Blockers should throw both of them up in the results, hope this gives you a better longer lasting alternative.

You will find this word for word at another Volvo forum, I joined that one without realising it was an American site so I'm shipping my 3 help posts over to here for more localised interaction.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 21:00   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Well folks it's been in the Mail this week about rfid theft, as I got no replies to this I assume nobody is either aware or concerned that Beryl the blue V60 B4 might not be there when they get back from shopping or after waking up one morning,

So to further what I advised above, go to the Rainforest vendor and look for the one that looks like a blue or black suitcase, the key will fit but not fully flat £14 iirc, next look at the trinket type boxes and get one of them for storing your spare or just get two suitcase type ones, if you have the sports key the one I recommended is out of stock and I don't think he'll be getting any more either, they can be found elsewhere but not in the UK,

When you read the reviews you'll see butterbludgers have managed to break the hinge, I haven't and mines more likely to break than theirs would've done, next you'll see someone moaning it doesn't work, it does and plenty of other reviewers say so also,

Ah but S9 "I keep mine in a tin, I keep mine in an appliance" no good, wives tales, the only time a faraday works is if it's totally sealed, one micron of gap and the signals out leaping around the room hence why the pouches fail all the time as they succumb to the stress of being folded in and out like someone snapping a coke can in half by wiggling it,

The suitcase is nowt to do with me btw and I will get nothing from it even if you all ordered one today each, it's the best one I could personally find and can actually recommend due to experience of it,

They're inconvenient and kinda kill the idea of KESSY but as it's so hard to make a fob with one of those new fangled on/off switch fingimejigs a necessity I'm afraid.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 21:24   #3
rxtian

In case people don’t want to bother locking the keys away, I’ve also seen posts about products that sit in series with the key fob battery and disconnect the battery if no motion is detected.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 21:39   #4
zoidberg
Master Member

So how do you know yours actually works then ? Is it because no one has stolen your car !
zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 22:07   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
In case people don’t want to bother locking the keys away, I’ve also seen posts about products that sit in series with the key fob battery and disconnect the battery if no motion is detected.
Trouble with that idea is a scanner can read your key as you're walking away from the car, it helps for those that key dump as soon as they walk indoors and that's about all I'm afraid.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 22:08   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
So how do you know yours actually works then ? Is it because no one has stolen your car !
I don't have the car anymore but when I did I could approach the car and the handle wouldn't unlock for me until I'd opened the suitcase one or slid the switch up on the sport key one, hth.

I could also open the car once the signal was unblocked and then re-block the fob and the car would refuse to start and gave a no key detected message.

Last edited by SnineT; Aug 8th, 2022 at 00:57.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 00:27   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I was under the impression that Volvo's system wasn't prone to the relay tactics like BMW, Merc and JLR - is that true?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 00:38   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I was under the impression that Volvo's system wasn't prone to the relay tactics like BMW, Merc and JLR - is that true?
I believe it's a combo of Volvo's are less desirable on the black market which in turn probably translates that they're so loaded with trackers there's a good chance you'll either get caught or the car remotely disabled,

However on the fob front the newer models have the motion fobs which are ideal overnight while you sleep but won't stop someone nearby scanning for the fob as you are walking away from the car, I'm not 100% about it but the car may still refuse to start if it doesn't detect a key but they have an OBD coder that gets round that anyway, I just don't know why they haven't implemented a killswitch on the fob, if it's because the fob must comm with the car or lose sight of each other every so often there's a way around that that would only need a bit of programming.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 12:31   #9
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I'll add this as another user has mentioned it in another thread,

You can get your existing keys including a Sportkey upgraded to motion detecting ones as long as the car is a 2019 onwards at a cost of £170 inc according to the Volvo accessories pages although the user said they'd paid £120 inc when they had theirs done, this could be due to me searching a different model but I doubt it, so if you have an "ageing" sportkey even at £170 inc it's a reasonable deal, Sportkey only lives for around 2 years before the battery dies, you can repair them but if it's essential it looks untouched to you then this is the way to go as they're normally in excess of £100 alone.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 13:49   #10
BeeQueue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
I'll add this as another user has mentioned it in another thread,

You can get your existing keys including a Sportkey upgraded to motion detecting ones as long as the car is a 2019 onwards at a cost of £170 inc according to the Volvo accessories pages although the user said they'd paid £120 inc when they had theirs done, this could be due to me searching a different model but I doubt it, so if you have an "ageing" sportkey even at £170 inc it's a reasonable deal, Sportkey only lives for around 2 years before the battery dies, you can repair them but if it's essential it looks untouched to you then this is the way to go as they're normally in excess of £100 alone.
The £170 price is for the 2 normal keys plus a Sports Key plus a Red Key (for restricted drivers). The £120 I paid was for the 2 normal keys and the Sports Key (with NO Red Key).