Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does this sound like alternator problems to you?

Views : 1457

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2022, 11:35   #1
C30inFrance

Default Does this sound like alternator problems to you?

Hello all,

I had to call the brakedown servrice yesterday. I'd got some 40 mile from home when;

- a 'Power Steering Service Required' displayed

I thought 'fair enough' and decided to head back home...

- then I smelt burning, that smell went (something roadside I'd passed, I thought)

- then the power steering went, steering heavy as but working
- shortly thereafter, a message saying 'Anti Skid Brakes Disabled' displayed
- then ABS disabled
- then Air Bags Disabled
- then AC stopped, no dash lights, no speedo, no tacho
- then the car ground to a halt. Dead as, nothing.

All the above in the space of maybe 10 minutes. From my reading, that sounds like a dead alternator. The car control unit was gradually shutting things down to try and preserve vital battery life - dunno?

When I got home, I put the battery on charge. It would not charge in situ so I've disconnected it and it seems to be quite happily charging now. Before charging, it measured around 6.4 volts.

This is probably irrelevant but...

A few days prior, I'd changed a headlight bulb. I put a generic supermarket own brand H7 until I decided what bulb to get for proper. In the process of testing that, I'd accidently left the darned light switch to 'side lights' overnight - battery was weak but car started fine and I drove it maybe 30 mile to recharge the battery, no problems.

I'm thinking either the alternator is shot (and maybe I'll need a new battery too)... or a major catastrophic failure Certainly felt that way waiting for the tow truck with nothing working!

Last edited by C30inFrance; Jul 6th, 2022 at 13:00.
C30inFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 13:01   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Sounds like an aux drive belt that isn't there anymore, especially if the AC has done a bunk on you assuming you mean aircon?

Airbags, hmmm, can't see why unless you have a relay burnt out in the fuse box, sniff test, anything smell burnt? fuses all ok? check the ones inside the car as well,

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 6th, 2022 at 13:05.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 13:34   #3
C30inFrance

Yes, aircon. Maybe I made the 'air bags' bit up! I wouldn't swear to it, it was all disappearing so quickly (and I was driving) that I'd no chance to note it all the messages - 4 in total I think (excluding the power steering once).

Something else I've just remembered, and again it is perhaps not relevant, I was using the spare key for the first time in years. I couldn't find the usual key when I went out so grabbed the spare.

I'll have a look at fuses later...
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 13:37   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

The key might be a good start point so put a new battery in it and look up and do the reprogramming sequence, it's something simple iirc like unlock ign on press button.

Job 1 is make sure you still have an aux belt.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 17:06   #5
pinballdave

These cars do throw up a lot of messages if there's a problem with the battery or charging circuit.

They also have a tendency for the belt tensioners to fail and the associated issues that can cause, sometimes going as far as a broken aux belt wrapping itself around the timing belt and wrecking the engine.

The power steering has an electric pump, so don't automatically assume belt failure due to loss of power steering. The power steering pump should work down to a battery voltage of 9.5v (which is when it logs a fault code and the 'service required' message appears).

Once you've got the battery back in and checked the belts, measure the battery voltage with the engine off and then with the engine running (if it starts!), You should see around 12.5v with it off and 14v with it running.

If you don't see a change in voltage with the engine running, then check the voltage at the alternator output terminal. If it's different to the measured battery voltage, then you may have a wiring issue. Otherwise an alternator fault is more likely.

Depending on the engine fitted, there are several different types of alternator, and they come in 120A and 150A varieties. It's important to replace like for like, as the charging is controlled digitally, and you will need a software update if you fit a 150A to a car that originally had a 120A.

There shouldn't be any issue with keys. There is no re-learn sequence for P1 models, everything locking/immobiliser related has to be reprogrammed at the dealer.

Last edited by pinballdave; Jul 6th, 2022 at 17:14.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 20:02   #6
C30inFrance

"belts" plural. I can see one; the long belt (serpentine?) that weaves its way around all manner of pumps etc Where's the other? The "aux" belt? Is there a diagram?
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 20:21   #7
PNM

My first move would be to take the belt(s) off and turn each if the pulleys by hand. See if any have seized or have too much play or resistance. If they all feel OK, belts back on and start it up and measure the voltages.

The belt set up differs depending on the engine. Which one have you got?
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 21:09   #8
C30inFrance

1.6 diesel
The Following User Says Thank You to C30inFrance For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 21:25   #9
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Sounds like alternator to me. All the symptoms fit, as it detects lack of power it shuts things down. The burning smell was probably the alternator itself, they tend to get very hot when they fail.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 06:07   #10
MDS40

Agree with the above.

When mine failed i had a burning smell and it was too hot to touch.
The pas pump uses a lot of power so probably first thing to shut down.

Years ago i had a Ford Sierra which starting shutting down various things one by one until the battery was dead.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post: