Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Castrol Edge 0W20

Views : 3329

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 08:34   #41
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
The guy who made the video suggests it in his comment to one of the comments on the video,

The idea is like a dpf cleanse, you get things hot enough to turn the carbon into ash and then it should scrape into the sump and hopefully get caught in the filter.
I suspect that he was referring to petrol engines, eh?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 12:39   #42
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
I suspect that he was referring to petrol engines, eh?
Maybe, but the principal is the same.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 12:30   #43
Diogo Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
If a person's car has the oil consumption issue then they need to work out the cost of repair and compare it with the true cost of replacement.

Repair will be a cost but it will add no resale value to the car. If, however, the car is in good condition in all other respects then the repair will add value in terms of what the car is worth to the owner.

Replacement depends upon what the replacement car is, how much it cost, what it will be worth to the owner, how much maintenance it will need, the cost of depreciation, what profit the seller made etc. A complex calculation.

For most brands the decision is probably a no-brainer, but Volvos are a bit different. I bought my first Volvo in 2011. It was a 1998 V70, i.e. 13 years old but a lovely car. That car is still on the road in 2022. You won't find many 1998 BMWs, Mercedes, Audis or Fords on the road, however.
You are totally right!

I need to think about my issue, because i really love the V60.

Many thanks!
Diogo Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diogo Santos For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 16:51   #44
Diogo Santos

Hello all,
One general question for all based in a suggestion that i got from a technician.

So first of all he suggested to check if there is no issues with the oil sensor, ok i totally agree, so fill with new oil, measure it, drive 2000 km and after this check the consumption, measuring the oil again.

But the most strange suggestion, was to replace the 0W20 to 5W30. This makes sense?
Diogo Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 17:11   #45
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Santos View Post
Hello all,
One general question for all based in a suggestion that i got from a technician.

So first of all he suggested to check if there is no issues with the oil sensor, ok i totally agree, so fill with new oil, measure it, drive 2000 km and after this check the consumption, measuring the oil again.

But the most strange suggestion, was to replace the 0W20 to 5W30. This makes sense?
0/20 is thinner so more likely to go past the rings, 5/30 is thicker so less likely to burn through,

Is the tech a Volvo one or just a dependable knowledgeable usually independent wrench? I would love to say use the 5/30 especially if your location never gets icy cold like Sweden etc but the 0/20 might be essential not to clog the scraper rings up.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 18:13   #46
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
You are totally right!

I need to think about my issue, because i really love the V60.

Many thanks!
De nada.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 23:43   #47
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hello all,

nonsense it is the incorrect oil . oil systems now are much more sophisticated than before with variable displacement pumps , piston cooling jets tighter bearing clearances , balance shaft housings spur gears etc.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 08:54   #48
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2837768
Interesting vid, but as others have said it's seems to be the petrol engine they're referring to, though the VEA diesel issue may be similar.

What I think it does tell you though in my opinion is regular oil changes with the correct grade and quality of oil is likely key, I'm skeptical that running the engine at high RPM would clear that, the temperature of the piston skirt would never be hot enough to burn off carbon like that.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 11:16   #49
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Interesting vid, but as others have said it's seems to be the petrol engine they're referring to, though the VEA diesel issue may be similar.

What I think it does tell you though in my opinion is regular oil changes with the correct grade and quality of oil is likely key, I'm skeptical that running the engine at high RPM would clear that, the temperature of the piston skirt would never be hot enough to burn off carbon like that.

Me too originally but if you get the oil hot enough it should do some cleaning due to pressure and also carbon weakening as the scraper is a 3 piece ring that's not fixed together allowing movement to also crack solid crud to be dislodged, hot and cold extremes have good cleaning properties, an example is it you find chewing gum in your carpet to freeze it to remove it by causing it to become brittle.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 12:07   #50
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Me too originally but if you get the oil hot enough it should do some cleaning due to pressure and also carbon weakening as the scraper is a 3 piece ring that's not fixed together allowing movement to also crack solid crud to be dislodged, hot and cold extremes have good cleaning properties, an example is it you find chewing gum in your carpet to freeze it to remove it by causing it to become brittle.
It is the oil drain holes through the pistons behind the oil rings which can get crusty you can never get rid of it without dismantling . A modified piston was fitted half way through 2016

Tags
oil