Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Private car insurance to multiple cars

Views : 833

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 09:41   #1
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default Private car insurance to multiple cars

Hi guys,

For those that have multiple cars per house hold, how do you deal with these and insure them. Im looking to try save money here and there and currently have 3 cars which are all on different insurance policies due to the no claims.

Im struggling to find something cheaper that would do the lot as one car is a modded car, where as the others are just normal dailies ... but I also dont want to lose any no claims.

What have you found that has been best to cover multiple cars for you?

Thanks

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 09:45   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

If you have a modder that will be the one the policy cost is based on, I'm not sure but multi policies may only cover one driver as well as the idea is you can only drive one car at any given time.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 09:51   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Hi guys,

For those that have multiple cars per house hold, how do you deal with these and insure them. Im looking to try save money here and there and currently have 3 cars which are all on different insurance policies due to the no claims.

Im struggling to find something cheaper that would do the lot as one car is a modded car, where as the others are just normal dailies ... but I also dont want to lose any no claims.

What have you found that has been best to cover multiple cars for you?

Thanks
I have 2 cars, and my experience is that I was really concerned about having 1 full NCD policy and 1 with nothing (I only bought it this year).

However when I went to compare the market and added ‘0’ NCD it had an option for experiencing driving on company car or other car (which I had) and accordingly they ported over my NCD so I was actually suprised how cheap it was.

That said my main car is the xc90 which is expensive, and the second car is a group 7 (on the latest 0-50 scale) so nothing fast or exotic etc (bought for fuel efficiently).

Taking out individual cover seems to be the only way. I must add that I have friends with multiple cars one of whom does have a very very cheap policy covering his cars but they are all 40 plus years old and genuine classics.

Regarding the modified vehicle that’s a tough one. I would polestar my xc90 this afternoon for full cost if it were easy to do. However even with something like Polstar you still have to phone the companies up, discuss and overview as comparison websites won’t accept it (or reduce 100 quotes to 2 which cost a fortune).
I should imagine the modded car is the issue here…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 09:53   #4
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I have multiple policies and the insurer originally 'mirrored' the NCB but maybe that's because there was a classic car involved.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 12:47   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I think as the others have said the modded car may be tricky.
Personal experience, we have been with Admiral for many years, yes I know some on here will chase the lowest possible rate every renewal and save money etc, but having wasted a lot of time filling in forms on comparison sites a few times I've not found any great savings and Admiral on a number of occasion have dropped my price just for a phone call. In that time we have had my daughter as an 'occasional driver' rather than a named driver when she had just passed her test, and my son in his own car when he had just passed. I recently had to phone them as I had some problems with my licence which had arisen during Covid and I had forgotten to inform them at renewal last year, when I phoned and said this happened a year and a half back they could/should have said my insurance was null and void and refused to renew, but they just added the details to the policy for renewal, albeit with a small increase in the price. Without wishing to get into any racist debate another advantage I find with them is that the call centres are generally in the UK and the overseas ones I've spoken with were in Canada, with the significant advantage that the operators have English as their first language, useful when discussing complex financial transactions, and seem familiar with the idea of having a car and having insurance.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 17:53   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Three cars and three seperate policies with different insurers. It suits me.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 19:36   #7
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for multi car insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 20:29   #8
Turbodave
VOC Member

The whole NCB thing is a piece of nonsense in my opinion. Being able to use it on one car is a farce, after all it's us as the drivers that have the NCB so it should be applicable to any policy in your name. Part of me feels that based on that logic, my counter argument should be that yes I have three points but they were earned in my V50 and thus, my XC70 is clear...

But I digress.

I have two cars insured on fairly standard policies with Churchill and they reflected the maximum NCB on to both (apparently) and both are ~£200 fully comp each and they were ok for the past two years on a third car with initially 0 NCB then a year, but they weren't even remotely competitive this time round and so I've gone with a classic policy with Chris Knott and whilst you don't earn NCB, it doesn't really matter as they gave a great price and package.

I'm never convinced by the whole multi-car thing, sometimes it's cheaper to spread the cars around over different policies unless a company will truly honour and mirror your NCB... which Flux said they would, but didn't. Which seemed to be a common theme for Flux and hence after several years business, I opted to go elsewhere. They used to be brilliant but now either others have caught up and surpassed them... or they stopped trying as hard.

Shame really.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 14:31   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

yeh completly agree the whole NCB is a load of rubbish. Im not sure why it doesnt just apply to an individual rather than car really.

The reason why im finding it difficult is because the volvo I have has so many mods that the normal go compare insurance companies will not insure it ... so their multi discounts wouldnt work for me.

Im still looking around really but not finding anything better than an individual policy for each car which just seems awful pain to the pocket.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 05:51   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've got 2 cars insured with admiral multicar, one in my wife's name with me as a listed driver and the 940 in my name with my wife as a listed driver and we have our separate no claims for our cars. The 940 has the mods listed (including an automatic to manual conversion) and it is cheaper than anyone else quoted. I phoned them directly when the renewal came through and they dropped the price by nearly £300 as the renewal shot up £200!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: