Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intermittent missing. (E10?)

Views : 2353

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:52   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Thank you, that’s helpful.
Dave warned me when I bought the Bosch leads they don’t last like the proper jobs.
It needs an aircraft style poppet valve under the tank where a nozzle on a bottle is pushed in the valve. Water drains test. Done in a daily inspection. Maybe all cars will have it eventually.
Wishful thinking. Stupid boy pike.
Ken
Bung a set of Bourgicord leads on as the Bosch ones are useless !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 10:43   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
E10 is meant to be compatible but we are seeing a few posts about issues running on it, mine runs on it but I can tell it is much happier on 99 octane, yes water in the tank can also cause this issue. Dave (Laird Scooby) will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you what ratio of meths etc to use in the tank to clear it out if you don't fancy losing your fuel for it to potentially not be the fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Thank you, that’s helpful.
Dave warned me when I bought the Bosch leads they don’t last like the proper jobs.
It needs an aircraft style poppet valve under the tank where a nozzle on a bottle is pushed in the valve. Water drains test. Done in a daily inspection. Maybe all cars will have it eventually.
Wishful thinking. Stupid boy pike.
Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
360 beast

No, I wasn't agreeing that water in the fuel tank might be the problem, but I cant imagine it would do any good.

Sorry for the misunderstanding I may have caused,Im gobsmacked that there may be water in the fuel,hence the "water in the fuel lines?" surprise

Shaun
For some reason, the forum won't let me post my longer reply, go to Toolstation and buy 2L of meths and add it to ~1/4 tank (no more than 1/4) of fuel, drive until it's nearly empty then fill up with Super unleaded/E5 and don't use E10 again as it has a higher water content.

https://www.toolstation.com/methylated-spirit/p99550

Hopefully this post works!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 18:50   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As a result of this thread, i just went to Toolstation and got 2L of meths and added it to my tank. I have also been experiencing an intermittent misfire and down on power even when hot and to be honest, i should have thought of it sooner.

I had half a gallon in a can in the back anyway from my last trip to fill up (i'd left things a bit late! ) so i added the meths to that and then added all of it to the tank.

Fired up after turning a bit more than usual but it was a hot day and as i was thinking i may have to try again, it caught and idled smoother than it has for a long time.

Drove out of the car park and put my foot down to pull away and surprised myself - it went better than it has for a long time too!

Overall a vast improvement! Of course, the acid test will be when it's sat overnight and how it performs from cold tomorrow but so far so good!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 06:36   #14
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As a result of this thread, i just went to Toolstation and got 2L of meths and added it to my tank. I have also been experiencing an intermittent misfire and down on power even when hot and to be honest, i should have thought of it sooner.

I had half a gallon in a can in the back anyway from my last trip to fill up (i'd left things a bit late! ) so i added the meths to that and then added all of it to the tank.

Fired up after turning a bit more than usual but it was a hot day and as i was thinking i may have to try again, it caught and idled smoother than it has for a long time.

Drove out of the car park and put my foot down to pull away and surprised myself - it went better than it has for a long time too!

Overall a vast improvement! Of course, the acid test will be when it's sat overnight and how it performs from cold tomorrow but so far so good!
I'm not doubting you Dave, but methylated spirit is just ethanol (called wood alcohol in the USA) with a bit of methanol added so people don't drink it - and I think often a bit of water as well in non-industrial brands.

Perhaps this works, but adding more ethanol to get rid of the ethanol seems odd, that is all.

:-)
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 07:08   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not doubting you Dave, but methylated spirit is just ethanol (called wood alcohol in the USA) with a bit of methanol added so people don't drink it - and I think often a bit of water as well in non-industrial brands.

Perhaps this works, but adding more ethanol to get rid of the ethanol seems odd, that is all.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/qa/h...-the-fuel-tank

It looks like E10 is meant to remove water itself from that information.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 08:11   #16
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/qa/h...-the-fuel-tank

It looks like E10 is meant to remove water itself from that information.
Thank you for that article Luke, that was exactly my thinking. Adding more ethanol to the ethanol doesn't make all that much sense.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 9th, 2022 at 10:09.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:19   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The last line from that article that actually confirms what i said :

More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine.

It's not adding ethanol to get rid of ethanol, it's to get rid of excess water in the plastic tank. Unless the tank is completely sealed (i.e. no breathers in which case the tank would crush itself due to vacuum when the fuel is pumped out) then atmospheric gas gets in which in this humid weather, is laden with moisture.

When it cools down at night, this moisture condenses out and drops to the bottom of the tank. The ethanol in the petrol isn't always enough to deal with the water. This short video explains how you can use water to remove ethanol from the petrol, as i don't propose people fit a drain tap to their tanks and drain the condensation from the bottom of the tank, adding meths to remove excess water is an easy fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG7mIprfE

Even my dog noticed the difference in how my beast was running last night, as i said above though, the acid test will be later today when i take her out if it drives smoothly without misfiring.

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:04   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:

More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine.

It's not adding ethanol to get rid of ethanol, it's to get rid of excess water in the plastic tank. Unless the tank is completely sealed (i.e. no breathers in which case the tank would crush itself due to vacuum when the fuel is pumped out) then atmospheric gas gets in which in this humid weather, is laden with moisture.

When it cools down at night, this moisture condenses out and drops to the bottom of the tank. The ethanol in the petrol isn't always enough to deal with the water. This short video explains how you can use water to remove ethanol from the petrol, as i don't propose people fit a drain tap to their tanks and drain the condensation from the bottom of the tank, adding meths to remove excess water is an easy fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG7mIprfE

Even my dog noticed the difference in how my beast was running last night, as i said above though, the acid test will be later today when i take her out if it drives smoothly without misfiring.
Hope it goes well Dave
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:08   #19
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine...
We will have to agree to disagree about that one Dave, the last line of the article actually says:

However, a simpler solution to the problem would just be to fill up occasionally with E10 fuel (provided the car is compatible with that fuel). More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine.

... adding 2l more ethanol to the 5l that is already in every tankful of E10 would mean the OP running his motor car on E14 from time to time.

Water in the OP's fuel is a red herring.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:47   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
We will have to agree to disagree about that one Dave, the last line of the article actually says:

However, a simpler solution to the problem would just be to fill up occasionally with E10 fuel (provided the car is compatible with that fuel). More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine.

... adding 2l more ethanol to the 5l that is already in every tankful of E10 would mean the OP running his motor car on E14 from time to time.

Water in the OP's fuel is a red herring.

Another lovely day in paradise.

No, Alan, the last paragraph says "However, a simpler solution to the problem would just be to fill up occasionally with E10 fuel (provided the car is compatible with that fuel). More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine."

Note the full stop after the first line, this makes the last line exactly as i said in the first place.

Unleaded petrol has a naturally higher water content than real petrol. Unleaded with ethanol added has a higher still water content and the more ethanol added at manufacture, the higher the natural water content. The ethanol in the fuel will only cope with the natural water content, not the added water content of atmospheric air in the tank condensing and adding more water to the mix.

I've been using this fix for over 35 years and it was passed down to me by someone who started in the motor trade in the 60s, if not before.

Please don't condemn my (or others) suggestions as red herrings when it has not been proven either way. We have had many nay-sayers like this in the past, particularly on this subject and when the person that has the problem has run out of all the other options, they've tried my suggestion of adding meths and lo and behold, it's worked.

I'm not saying it's always the solution but in this case it sounds very like it might be, if it isn't it's eliminated another possible cause and in the great scheme of things, costs very little.

As for adding 2L meths to 10 gallons of fuel, if you had read what i put in the first place you would have realised this isn't the case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: