Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Different length threads on front subframe bolts

Views : 978

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2021, 19:31   #11
oragex
Premier Member

I was not aware there were different thread lengths. Tasca has the genuine parts and is only listing the long thread one, I'm guessing it should fit all 4 corners ? https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...bC1sNS1nYXM%3D
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 20:01   #12
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
I would go with the new bolts that have been sent to you. That would be way preferable to getting random bolts from ebay.

If 2 different Volvo dealers have said they are the right bolts, and VIDA also lists only one part no. for front subframe bolts (985111 - I checked) then that's what I would believe - regardless of what you have there now.

I'm not saying it's the case with these, but sometimes different parts are fitted to cars at the factory than are fitted afterwards because of assembly constraints or process.
Generally I would agree, but in this case the new 'correct' bolts literally dont go all the way in, I can feel it hitting the end of the thread and jamming, it wont go any further in. I didnt want to force it but bear in mind thats with an impact wrench so Im not pussy footing it either.. I'm left with an inch or so sticking out

the old bolt, with the thread all the way (or near enough) just goes smoothly in all the way no issues..

so I'm still leaning towards believing that I need 2 types of bolts as per the picture above. for whatever reason

as you can see, the 'blank' part of the bolt is wider than the inner part of the thread, so without more thread it would be impossible for it to move deeper into a threaded hole

I suppose I could stick it on the lathe and narrow down the last couple of inches but that's not the point (plus being hardened I'm wondering if my tooling would even cut it)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 1st, 2021 at 20:08.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 20:55   #13
b1mcp

Hmm. How weird.

This won't help you, but just to add to the debate...

I removed the subframe bolts on my daughters car last year to replace the Brake Servo (2002 V70 T5). Just found the old bolts in my "scrap" bin. They're all the same. Can't be certain but I believe these are the original bolts.

May be you do have a Frankenstein car. Don't know what to suggest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-03-01_204537.jpg (249.4 KB, 44 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 21:19   #14
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

so strange! thanks for looking though, definitely need to get to the bottom of it

when you look at yours like my most recent picture above, is the narrower 'inner' part of the thread the same width as the blank bit at the bottom of the shaft?

i.e. would it be able to screw into and past threaded section, if you see what I mean.

I'm wondering if the shaft should be slightly narrower so they can fit all 4 bolts the same rather than 2 different types (Reduction of supply and manufacturing costs)

mine is a 2001 so one of the earlier P2's

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 1st, 2021 at 21:22.
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 21:57   #15
b1mcp

i.e. would it be able to screw into and past threaded section, if you see what I mean.

Yes I know what you mean, but the answer is no.

Just thinking if there is some other aspect of the design that could be different on yours?

Here's some pictures I took of the front and rear bushes when I did the Brake Servo job. You can see from them that the non threaded part of the bolts would not protrude outside of the bushes in this car.

Do your bushes look the same as these - same brackets, washers etc?

Is it the front or rear bush on yours that needs the longer thread?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-03-01_214501.jpg (228.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-03-01_214554.jpg (261.8 KB, 43 views)
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 22:34   #16
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it's the front one that needs the longer thread.. I do like your method with the stud and nuts to support the lowered subframe though on a side note, that's pretty ingenious

One thing I will note is I only tried on the front left (passenger side) bolt

the drivers side also had the longer thread, but I didn't try and fit the shorter threaded bolt into that hole. so it's still a remote possibility that side would be ok with these shorter threads . I just didn't bother trying because I assumed it would be same both sides

what i saw of my car is identical, except in terms of the underlying design / layout I couldn't really be too sure, because I didn't actually pull the frame away from the car I did one bolt at a time. All I really saw was the bush with the big round washer taken away, so if there's a tubular part that protrudes from the bodywork into the bush, for example, I wouldn't have seen it. quite how that would work I'm not sure anyway because the bush wouldn't be doing it's job as effectively

how much of a risk do you think it is still having the old bolts in? I only took them out to put the inserts in, and when I put the back in I didn't over tighten, just torqued and thread locked. car done about 56k

torqued according to this source with an extra maybe 5deg instead of 120 deg

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 1st, 2021 at 23:28.
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 07:36   #17
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Could and old or previous bolt have sheared off in the top of the hole stopping the longer bolt now threading in fully?
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 08:52   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

That was my first thought but no, the old bolt that came out is the same length as the new one, it's definitely the length of the thread causing the issue

I appreciate everyone's time and attention by the way, thanks for the suggestions and pictures etc

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 2nd, 2021 at 09:11.
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 10:08   #19
b1mcp

Quote:
I do like your method with the stud and nuts to support the lowered subframe though on a side note, that's pretty ingenious
I can't really take credit for the ingenuity. It's the volvo approved method - except they use a special volvo tool rather than £10 worth of threaded bar and nuts/washers.

Quote:
so if there's a tubular part that protrudes from the bodywork into the bush, for example, I wouldn't have seen it.
Ah yes, good shout. I looked at my pictures again. The front left is different and has a locating spigot. So I guess that's what is stopping your short thread bolt. But why does it not interfere on this car? I don't know, maybe Volvo changed the design early on, so the spigot bit is threaded on yours but not on later cars?

It would be sub optimal, but I think I'd be happy enough with 3 new bolts correctly torqued and 1 reused bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-03-02_095149.jpg (317.9 KB, 32 views)
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 10:33   #20
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

AHA!

thanks

ok maybe I'll try the new bolt on the passenger side and see if that goes in. at least it's one good new bolt I can get in there to FT (F... tight)

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 2nd, 2021 at 10:37.