Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hybrid and 12V batteries all flat

Views : 1054

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 10:45   #1
Badders

Default Hybrid and 12V batteries all flat

Hi

Anyone have any experience of this..

My car was completely without any suitable 12V battery or hybrid voltage yesterday...
Can anyone throw any light on this peculiar event?

I have a V60 2013 D6 PHEV pure limited edition..

purchased 2 months ago from main dealer on Volvo select.
I only had it for a week and then went back to dealer only for a service but due to some fault which they found with the infotainment system when updated they had the car for 2 months and replaced most of this system 2 or three times.
I've now had the car back since last Tuesday.
(incidentally I have no issues with the delay the dealer was incredible and I had an almost brand new courtesy car throughout and Volvo apologised by extending my selkt warranty until 2021 with the usual warranty extension)

In a nut shell yesterday
after a night plugged in the 12v battery and the hybrid batteries were flat and only access to vehicle was using the metal key through the passenger door and then a jump start from local garage mechanic sent by Volvo assist. He found the car battery was 5.6V

Recent HX
On Friday evening I drove the car back home after 80 mile 2 part trip to work and back with no charge whilst at work during the day, I did not use the SAVE function and drove the last 3 miles on pure to use all available electric and the diesel engine kicked in about 1/4 mile from home. I arrived home at about 21:00hrs with a totaly flat hybrid battery and immediately plugged into the usual 13A via the correct 13A cable. The green LED showing charge OK and Oncall app stated 'fully charged at 01:45hrs'. No warning of charging stopped over night on the oncall app.
When I got up at around 07:15hrs I checked previous days MPG (216 MPG to work and 56 MPG on the return) on the oncall app and didn't notice any messages or warnings but At 07:35hrs my Phone bleeped and was showing that the alarm had just been triggered (there was no audible alarm sounding).
when I went outside (10 minutes later due to getting dressed first) I found the car wouldn't open from the fob due to a flat battery.
The 12V battery showed 5.6V when tested before jump start.
After car was jump started everything worked as normal but I noticed that the hybrid battery gauge showed the hybrid battery to be total flat.
I drove the car to town and back (20 miles) and the hyrid batteries were charging nicely and now over 1/4 ful. I returned home then plugged into charging point with hybrid batteries fully charged a few hours later. I then unplugged and left the car over night.
This morning I unlocked without issue. I haven't driven yet but a volt meter reads 12.6 volts on the 12V battery

The dealer have offered to have car back with a full refund when they were informed, this is a great gesture
I don't want to return the car though if this issue is a known fixable thing.
I don't however want to keep the car if this is an intermittent oddity I need a reliable vehicle...

All thoughts, opinions and most importantly knowledge and experiences are welcome on this matter

Badders
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 07:56   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Let them have it back! It’s a 2013 car, as soon as selekt runs out they won’t want to touch it or charge you a fortune for the privilege and as you have found they are struggling to mend it at the moment. It’s an old car now in volvos eyes.

There have been quite a few issues with these particular cars I would save myself from a lot of future hassle and expense if I was in your position.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 09:48   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Something had not shut down properly and was consuming power when the car was off, thus draining the batteries.

Running batteries completely flat and then recharging them leaves scars on the battery. It shortens their lifespan.

The 12V battery is OK to replace, doesn't cost much. But the hybrid battery will be expensive.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 15:21   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Let them have it back! It’s a 2013 car, as soon as selekt runs out they won’t want to touch it or charge you a fortune for the privilege and as you have found they are struggling to mend it at the moment. It’s an old car now in volvos eyes.

There have been quite a few issues with these particular cars I would save myself from a lot of future hassle and expense if I was in your position.
that
return the car as not fit
get your cash back
buy a petrol , you Really do not want to know the bill for JUST the battery packs on these never mind the labour charges and XX months of trying to fix it

reject the car, return it get a petrol
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 00:46   #5
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

The info screen isn't shutting down properly, its a fault with the wiring loom/ BCM communications . give the car back and buy a proper hybrid (don't really see the point in a PHEV personally)
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 13:53   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default For Badders.

In our experience Volvo Selekt is a very good warranty. You should persevere to have any and all problems resolved during you warranty period. Do not let the dealer fob you off or do a fix that does not completely solve any problem. Our XC70 developed several issues during the warranty period, all of which were eventually resolved, including a “thump” from the auto box. Car was back to the dealer twice for fixes which didn’t completely solve the problem. The third time dealer stated that the gearbox internal seals had been renewed. ( not a cheap job ) This solved the problem.
Have you taken out a “service contract”? If you have make sure it covers any eventual belt changes etc. When we checked our service contract we realised that it didn’t cover the 108000/10 year cam belt change which was due within the next year due to mileage. We had to arrange that separately as a one off” job.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 14:11   #7
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post

Good advice!
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 14:52   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Good advice!
Agreed, I’ve seen the amount of extra gubbins in one of these, time to hand it back.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 18:30   #9
steadvex
Master Member

To me it sounds like the 12v is knackered, but honestly that's a complete guess.

Lots of people dislike these for some reason, I've had one for 2 years and would buy another tomorrow if this one was written off! Always thought plug in hybrids were silly, test drove one, loved it 😁

It's a tricky one though, like all cars some people do 250k no issues, others do 5k and its in the dealers...

How long is the goodwill gesture on for? Might be worth asking if they will honour it for a month and see how it gets on, or if you've lost faith walk away.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:27   #10
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders View Post
The dealer have offered to have car back with a full refund when they were informed, this is a great gesture
I don't want to return the car though if this issue is a known fixable thing.
I don't however want to keep the car if this is an intermittent oddity I need a reliable vehicle...
To be honest, thats an amazing gesture to take and refund you in full!

I know you are probably liking the car despite the issues but, I'd say, you would be best to return for a full refund and then use that money to get another which isn't as problematic etc.

This dealer sounds quite decent and I'd happily look at putting that money into another car with them and perhaps negotiate a bigger discount due to what happened.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post: