Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Audi A5

Views : 1157

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2021, 22:03   #1
Existential Crisis

Default Audi A5

Anyone owned an A5 coupe. Looking at a replacement for my mini and thinking of something a bit more grown up. Never owned a 'modern' Audi, but their build quality appeals. Would be nothing more special than a 2.0tdi, I know the VAG engine and box have a good rep, but how are they to live with on a daily basis?
Existential Crisis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 07:43   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
Anyone owned an A5 coupe. Looking at a replacement for my mini and thinking of something a bit more grown up. Never owned a 'modern' Audi, but their build quality appeals. Would be nothing more special than a 2.0tdi, I know the VAG engine and box have a good rep, but how are they to live with on a daily basis?
Not the A5, but the A4 S line I test drove was very nice and aimed at the sporting side of the market, like the BMW 320 I test drove, they went like stink, were hard set on the suspension and not a car I would want to do long miles in.

In comparison I have driven 13 1/2 hours in the volvo in a day and still been able to walk. 30 min test drive in the BMW rendered the wife imobile for 3 days and the test drive in the S line left my bum numb.

You may be better suited than I to these cars however, so as ever test drive or hire one for a bit before parting with your cash.

Paul.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 08:59   #3
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Not the A5, but the A4 S line I test drove was very nice and aimed at the sporting side of the market, like the BMW 320 I test drove, they went like stink, were hard set on the suspension and not a car I would want to do long miles in.

In comparison I have driven 13 1/2 hours in the volvo in a day and still been able to walk. 30 min test drive in the BMW rendered the wife imobile for 3 days and the test drive in the S line left my bum numb.

You may be better suited than I to these cars however, so as ever test drive or hire one for a bit before parting with your cash.

Paul.
I don't fancy an s line or anything with stiff suspension Paul, although I have driven several BMW badged as sport and they were relatively supple. My Mini is a wee rollerskate so most anything will likely improve on it over the bumps!! Thanks for your answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Existential Crisis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 10:37   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I have friends with A5, ludicrously expensive and complex.
Buy it if you want but make sure you have deep deep deep pockets!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 10:59   #5
Thekilt

Get a Jag XF, much nicer and then you wont turn into the dreaded Audi driver brain with not indicating etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 11:00   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Personally, from experience and friends who have these modern German "Uber" machines I consider the offerings from Audi and BMW overpriced and without doubt overrated .

I'm not saying that they are bad cars just that in reality they do not live up to the Hype and are living on yesterdays image of overall build quality.

My daughter has a 2002 Audi A3 100bhp Tdi ( PD) and the build quality on that is absolutely superb. It feels like it is made from Granite. Nowadays, for the price charged for the equivalent? No thanks.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 11:31   #7
Existential Crisis

Would be at least six years old. Kinda limited with options for (relatively) affordable quality coupes with four seats. I would be looking at base tdi with fwd and a manual box so no dsg or quattro issues and the old 2.0tdi lump is a good 'un. Mind not made up, really like the wee 2 series BMW coupe also but fancy a full size car for a change. I'm not sold on VAG or BMW quality over all else, as another poster suggested, like Volvo for a while there, they are living on past glories, I just like the A5 looks and am just a big tart when it comes to aesthetics!!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll likely end up keeping my beloved mini but it's fun looking!!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 13:53   #8
Thekilt

If you are set on a coupe then could look at are the Mercedes C or E class coupes?
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 15:39   #9
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
If you are set on a coupe then could look at are the Mercedes C or E class coupes?
Don't like the looks, and am not keen on the XF having driven a few. I'm not bothered about how my choices are perceived so the Audi image thing doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, the XF and Mercs you mention are really good cars, but they just havent clicked for me. It may be the same when I drive an A5. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 16:33   #10
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
Don't like the looks, and am not keen on the XF having driven a few. I'm not bothered about how my choices are perceived so the Audi image thing doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, the XF and Mercs you mention are really good cars, but they just havent clicked for me. It may be the same when I drive an A5. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Thats interesting as the XF handle nicer and smoohter than most of them, but everyone feels differently about what they like