Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Now realised it's a bit gutless

Views : 1184

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:18   #11
CCFMJL

Yes it all works fine it's just the way it is, I guess the power is fine for what is it.
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:42   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFMJL View Post
It's the 170
These things go very well ! The volvo 2.8 V6 was 170 bhp in it's most powerful form ,either you are used to a Ferrari or a T5, or there is something seriously wrong ... which would be interesting to investigate . Has it always been like this, how long have you had it??
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:53   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes it all works fine
How do you know?
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:54   #14
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes it all works fine it's just the way it is, I guess the power is fine for what is it.
its all about driveing tecnique with a large car dont get up behind something and try to overtake it. plan ahead good speed change down and go for it if safe to do so . there are courses for advanced driveing try one they are good fun and you will learn some things
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 14:43   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Having the V70 2.4 with a manual box and having had an 850 2.4 with an auto box; it has come up on the forum a few times over the years that they are 'gutless' but the general observation is that you have to accept to some extent that they're not sports cars, they're heavy estate cars with big but lazy engines, ideal for cruising the motorway, to get 'performance' you have to thrash them a bit and get the revs up, the big problem with that is as the rev counter needle rises the fuel gauge needle drops!

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 20:10   #16
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Well... of course it's not going to be fast in a situation like you describe. It's a naturally aspirated petrol engine that makes most of its power high in the rev range with a slushbox for an automatic that's designed to be smooth and keep revs low. It's also a big heavy estate car governed by air resistance and a lack of torque. Surely if you wanted better overtaking you'd go for a turbo model (petrol or diesel)?

I'd hardly call it gutless though, having driven the 140 as well as the 170 both in automatic. You've just got to be realistic in what you expect from a car. You could make the argument that something like a Golf GTi has similar power and goes faster, but then they've got turbo torque and several hundred less kilos to carry.

If you want to overtake someone then you've got to plan it and get a run-up (like in any other n/a petrol outside of sports cars) so you can get past quicker without relying on power, which a 2.4i won't have, not low down.

You want gutless, try driving a Volvo 240 with 111. Or a Corsa with 58. Now they are gutless.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...

Last edited by KerPLoD; Jul 21st, 2019 at 20:15.
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 21:14   #17
Sotosound
Premier Member

What are you comparing it with? What was your previous car?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 15:07   #18
CCFMJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
its all about driveing tecnique with a large car dont get up behind something and try to overtake it. plan ahead good speed change down and go for it if safe to do so . there are courses for advanced driveing try one they are good fun and you will learn some things
I guess it is ie technique....I thought about a course but always shy'd away, don't know why I just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Having the V70 2.4 with a manual box and having had an 850 2.4 with an auto box; it has come up on the forum a few times over the years that they are 'gutless' but the general observation is that you have to accept to some extent that they're not sports cars, they're heavy estate cars with big but lazy engines, ideal for cruising the motorway, to get 'performance' you have to thrash them a bit and get the revs up, the big problem with that is as the rev counter needle rises the fuel gauge needle drops!
I guess I use it for wrong reasons ie about the doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPLoD View Post
Well... of course it's not going to be fast in a situation like you describe. It's a naturally aspirated petrol engine that makes most of its power high in the rev range with a slushbox for an automatic that's designed to be smooth and keep revs low. It's also a big heavy estate car governed by air resistance and a lack of torque. Surely if you wanted better overtaking you'd go for a turbo model (petrol or diesel)?

I'd hardly call it gutless though, having driven the 140 as well as the 170 both in automatic. You've just got to be realistic in what you expect from a car. You could make the argument that something like a Golf GTi has similar power and goes faster, but then they've got turbo torque and several hundred less kilos to carry.

If you want to overtake someone then you've got to plan it and get a run-up (like in any other n/a petrol outside of sports cars) so you can get past quicker without relying on power, which a 2.4i won't have, not low down.

You want gutless, try driving a Volvo 240 with 111. Or a Corsa with 58. Now they are gutless.

I guess it's not right saying it's gutless, it's designed for lazy comfy driving which I am struggling to do, that's not the cars fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
What are you comparing it with? What was your previous car?
I have had diesels for the last 8 years and used to the low torque but don't do the miles to justify them and trying to go back to petrol. I have 2 cars including this, a Golf Mk4 1.9 and maybe the Astra 1.8 auto I mentioned. Wont be keeping all 3 2 will get sold or 1 if I don't get the Astra.

As I say it's not right saying it's gutless, it's obviously me that is the problem
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 16:25   #19
Sotosound
Premier Member

You're posting on a Volvo forum, so there's likely to be a bit of bias towards the marque.

Not sure, however, about your comments regarding doors in both of your threads.....
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 23:32   #20
Dippydog
Premier Member

About the doors or around the doors=local running/around town i.e. not distance/motorway cruising.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: