Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800S Indicators

Views : 2006

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 09:19   #1
P1800Ray

Default P1800S Indicators

The indicators on my P1800S (1966) stopped working yesterday. Where is the indicator relay? I found what it looks like on Brookhouse but cannot see it on the steering column. Do I need to remove the steering wheel? If so, how do I do that?

I have the type where the indicators are on the left and the overdrive is on the right of the steering wheel. The main beam flasher still works on the indicator stalk. In the time that I've owned the car the indicators have worked but the stalk doesn't stay in place and flicks back off - don't know if this is where the trouble may lie?

Thanks in advance.
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 13:59   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ray;

Directional Indicators are an Ign Powered load, so I'd first verify another Ign powered load had power...this verifies Fuse 2 and associated connections are intact and supplying power. Then move on to Blinker Element (Steering Wheel does not have to be removed, but it is located under Dashboard (sorry!), in order for driver to be able to hear the reminder clicking). Main Beam Flasher Relay is independent, and separate, and located on Relay Panel in the engine compartment, where VReg is also located.

Notes on 1800 BE (three terminal, unlike 122, which has a two terminal type): https://www.sw-em.com/Blinker_Relay_...lement_in_1800

Note also that original BE will not function if you have (or decide to) change to LED lamps as it needs the higher current which incandescent lamps draw.

I'd proceed by locating BE, making certain connections are clean and snug (ideally, reconnect with a dab of ACZP on terminals. Reference: https://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm)...if still no joy, consider replacement...remove BE and take it with you to match it with a replacement (verify terminal nomenclatures of potential replacements to be the same: L, B, P!)

Indicator Lever not returning is a separate mechanical issue, having to do with "Cancelling Collar" and Returning Lever interaction (Reference: https://www.sw-em.com/Directional_In..._Mechanism.htm ...written for 122, but quite applicable to 1800!), often caused by debris (or Fido hairs!) in the precision mechanism, and/or a lack of lubrication...you might have enough access to flush it with lots of WD-40 (this might be the FIRST time I actually recommended the use to that stuff, which I generally dislike!) because it is mostly solvent, and that's whats called for here!...if that restores proper operation, you should lube switch and mechanism subsequently with a proper long-term lube (like spray white or lithium grease) after that!

Good Hunting!

PS; While were on the subject of fuses in an early 1800...: Change your Fuse 3 to an 8 or 10A rated fuse! See: https://www.sw-em.com/tech_bulletin_4.htm
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 20:20   #3
P1800Ray

Thanks Ron, after a careful read, I think I can just about follow.

What does the Blinker Element look like? I did a Google search but only got indicator stalk and lenses.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 22:05   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1800Ray View Post
Thanks Ron, after a careful read, I think I can just about follow.

What does the Blinker Element look like? I did a Google search but only got indicator stalk and lenses.
Part number B664708 on this Brookhouse page link:

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...LighterSensors
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 14:17   #5
P1800Ray

Ok, so the blinker element is the indicator relay.
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 18:23   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ray;

Correct! ...it's just semantics with variations in usage between our two countries (...I've heard it said: Divided by a common language!)...main and important thing is: We understand each other!

I don't typically call this component a Relay because although it has an internal contact, it is self-controlled (either thermally of electronically). I reserve the term Relay for a magnetically activated contactor where coil current is externally controllable. ...the term B Element immediately differentiates it from one of those devices...

Cheers

Edit: Thanks Cassell for providing PN and link (and yes, I notice they call it an Ind. Relay...no surprise located in UK!). Note that it has 3 terminals as required for the 1800, and a mounting tab...I don't believe it is necessary for proper function to electrically connect this tab to chassis, but it is still nice to secure it to keep it from flopping around under the dashboard unnecessarily, and being a potential vibration source.

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 23rd, 2019 at 18:33.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 16:40   #7
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Ray;

Correct! ...it's just semantics with variations in usage between our two countries (...I've heard it said: Divided by a common language!)...main and important thing is: We understand each other!

I don't typically call this component a Relay because although it has an internal contact, it is self-controlled (either thermally of electronically). I reserve the term Relay for a magnetically activated contactor where coil current is externally controllable. ...the term B Element immediately differentiates it from one of those devices...

Cheers

Edit: Thanks Cassell for providing PN and link (and yes, I notice they call it an Ind. Relay...no surprise located in UK!). Note that it has 3 terminals as required for the 1800, and a mounting tab...I don't believe it is necessary for proper function to electrically connect this tab to chassis, but it is still nice to secure it to keep it from flopping around under the dashboard unnecessarily, and being a potential vibration source.
To complicate the comparison between languages even more Ron, these are more ofter referred to in the UK as 'flasher units' or as my old Dad used to say when his indicators stopped working..."give the blinker unit a tap for me son" !!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 18:26   #8
P1800Ray

I think I’ve located the ‘relay’. Theres no corrosion, it looks fairly new. It’s cold when indicators are off and warm when switched on either way. This fact leads me to believe it’s not a blown fuse or there will be no power getting to it. Looks like I need a new relay.

Any comments?
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 13:56   #9
P1800Ray

Now fixed - many thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to P1800Ray For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 19:39   #10
sleek lemur

Default No Indicators or Hazard Warning Lights 1800E 1970

I recently changed my indicator/headlamp flash stalk. All good, everything functioning, but now two weeks later and my indicators and hazards have failed completely. I immediately assumed it was something clumsy I'd done in fitting the stalk unit, but after reading this forum post, I now believe it to be the indicator relay (or blinker element in the US of A!).

Thank you (again!) Ron Kwas for the lovely wiring diagram in this forum.

Good power at fuses 4 & 9. Good power at indicator relay's Yellow (ign off) and W-GN (ign on). The indicator relay gives a single faint click when I operate the hazard switch and another single faint click when I push the hazard switch back in.

I'm pretty certain the problem is the indicator relay, but if there's a clever soul out there with any other ideas to test, I'd love to hear them !

Oh, one other thing, Ron, your post mentioned the extra power drawn by LED lights, which my car does have. Could this have knackered the relay?
Thanks as always.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote