Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear selection problems

Views : 584

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 12:05   #1
peardrop

Default Gear selection problems

Hi guys (and gals), my first post! I've been lurking around for a while now since getting an 03 1.9d v40, trying to prepare for the day when i run into trouble.....well it's arrived Yesterday i began to have gear selection problems, which after stopping to check the brake fluid level seemed to resolve themselves but returned again in the afternoon, so this morning i've checked the cable linkages at the gearbox and under the gearlever which all seem fine and also bled the clutch. Now i can only select 2nd and 4th gear, not 1st 3rd or 5th. Reverse is bottom right, as i understand there are renault and volvo boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated
peardrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 14:52   #2
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

It's comes up quite a times.

If you look in the 'articles' section there's a 'how-to' on replacing a linkage that wears and causes slack in the selector.

Also, if you look back through this section you'll find more posts.

AFAIK if you've got time & way of accessing below your car you should be ok to resolve this.

Hope it works out ok
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 18:58   #3
magnuz
Ancient

If the selection problems have changed, depending on whether you have topped up the fluid, or bled the clutch, then the problem is probably hydraulic ?.
What is the position of the pedal when the clutch bites ?
Clutch hydraulics can be a problem to bleed, so it's possible that you may have introduced more air in to the system. I often find that opening the bleed screw & letting it gravity bleed sometimes works better for clutch hydraulics ?, but it may be worth trying a few different methods to find one that works.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 00:05   #4
peardrop

Thank's Charles,i have looked and could only find references to replacing the bushes on gearbox's operated by pushrods where as my gearbox is operated by twin cables.To confuse matters further the gearbox has operated normally for the last two days, becoming sticky again tonight. It feels as if something has moved out of alignment somewhere, but if i force it into gear it is immediately ok for maybe a few minuets or a couple of days!
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 00:10   #5
peardrop

Thank's magnuz, i feel sure i've bled the clutch correctly, the biting point being approx a third of the way up.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 15:57   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peardrop View Post
Thank's Charles,i have looked and could only find references to replacing the bushes on gearbox's operated by pushrods where as my gearbox is operated by twin cables.To confuse matters further the gearbox has operated normally for the last two days, becoming sticky again tonight. It feels as if something has moved out of alignment somewhere, but if i force it into gear it is immediately ok for maybe a few minuets or a couple of days!

OK my error. Not had this issue so wasn't aware of two gearbox types. I'd have thought someone else on here has posted about similar previously so perhaps you might find some useful info by searching (but you may get a lot of false-positive posts).
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 19:31   #7
peardrop

Just to update, today the gear selection has been perfect, talk about confused!The feeling is that something is moving in and out of alignment, makes me fear for the gearbox!
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 18:02   #8
peardrop

Another update in case it helps someone else. The gears seemed to improve for a while , then two days ago 1st, 3rd and 5th were lost completely. Got a chance to look at lt again this afternoon, it turns out an electrical connector coming from the sensor under the gearbox mount had come away from it's moorings and was jamming the lever on top of the gearbox. Cable tied it up out the way, job done.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 18:14   #9
lynns hubby
Master Member

Wow, don't you just love an easy fix
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote