Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Automatic crank sensor holes

Views : 902

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 23:05   #1
TonyS9
Premier Member

Default 940 Automatic crank sensor holes

940 2.3 LPT automatic 1998

Just trying to clear up an anomoly with dropping a 940 automatic engine into a manual 360 conversion for my friend who is far away and for some reason not able to provide pics etc.

He's maybe not got the right dog dish flywheel as he's not getting crank signal apparently. Or more oddly does the auto pick up the crank position another way or another position?

Does the automatic have the crank pick up holes in the flex plate? He is saying it is smooth without holes.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 09:49   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As far as i'm aware Tony, the autos have a pick-up on top of the bellhousing for the CPS, not sure if they changed it post-95 but i thought it was only the manual gearbox that changed to the M90 so can't see a logical reason to move it.

However, given it's going into a manual, if memory serves the CPS is mounted near the starter and reads the gaps on the dog-dish so that does point to either the wrong dog-dish or perhaps fitted in the wrong place. He hasn't simply re-used the original manual flywheel from the manual 360 has he?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 10:38   #3
mhuk

Not sure if this is of any use.... When the garage had a nightmare fitting my dogdish/m90 .

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291869

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOW...ature=youtu.be
mhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 11:53   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Auto and manual use exactly the same setup just the auto has a flex plate rather than a flywheel.

Is the flywheel the correct 60-2 pattern?
Is the flywheel positioned correctly?
Is the 940 sensor and bracket being used?

If all 3 are a yes then it's most likely a wiring issue.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 01:01   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

No he says its a 240 flywheel, and his mechanic saying 'its not reading the teeth'. Didn't make alot of sense, best guess is its the wrong flywheel.

95 Manual has M90 (my daily)
97 Manual has M90 (my 360 donor) but have CPS in the same position at the top in line with the cyls, so yes I can't image any reason for it (98 auto) to be different. I think there is only 1 place to mount it. One theory was that they have a different bracket and sits closer to the ring gear, but again can't see there being any space for that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 07:57   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
No he says its a 240 flywheel, and his mechanic saying 'its not reading the teeth'. Didn't make alot of sense, best guess is its the wrong flywheel.

95 Manual has M90 (my daily)
97 Manual has M90 (my 360 donor) but have CPS in the same position at the top in line with the cyls, so yes I can't image any reason for it (98 auto) to be different. I think there is only 1 place to mount it. One theory was that they have a different bracket and sits closer to the ring gear, but again can't see there being any space for that.
Most 240s had the block mounted dizzy which would be the Hall Effect, i know some of the very last 240s had the B230 which would probably have had the CPS mounted on the bell housing but on the balance of probability, i'd say the 240 won't have the teeth for the CPS to read.

Either that or a wiring problem somewhere, possibly a combination of both.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 21:43   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is only one version of the LH2.4 snesor and bracket.

Most 240 flywheels have no indents for a sensor to pick up. B230k engine use teh same pattern as a 360 so would not work. It is only the late B200F and B230F engines that came with the 60-2 pattern flywheel
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 23:01   #8
TonyS9
Premier Member

Thanks that make sense and he's looking for a new flywheel, there is one on ebay looks the part.

I just found out that 60-2 means 60 minus 2, rather than 60 then 2. There are only 58 holes!
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 23:15   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I just found out that 60-2 means 60 minus 2, rather than 60 then 2. There are only 58 holes!
That's the one, the 30th and 60th holes aren't there and the missing pulses trigger the TDC positions.

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 12:04   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's the one, the 30th and 60th holes aren't there and the missing pulses trigger the TDC positions.
No that is not the case at all. 59 and 60 are the missing holes right next to each other