Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Front Brake shield

Views : 1045

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2019, 18:17   #1
panda529e699

Default 740 Front Brake shield

Hello

I have got some new brake shields to replace, have removed the disc, the hub nut is not the castle type, just a nut. Would this need to be changed once undone, also is it a left hand thread or just normal. Thanks for any input, have ordered new discs and callipers as well so hopefully should look good.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 18:51   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

They are all right hand threads both sides.

New bearings come with new nuts and worth doing if going the whole hog but otherwise you can get away with reusing them
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 21:12   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Hello

I have got some new brake shields to replace, have removed the disc, the hub nut is not the castle type, just a nut. Would this need to be changed once undone, also is it a left hand thread or just normal. Thanks for any input, have ordered new discs and callipers as well so hopefully should look good.
It sounds like you have the later type of bearing there where the hubs and bearings come as one and the nut is pretty tight. Would be wise to use a new nut either way, if you re-use the old nuts, knock about 10% off the torque figure, they're very fine threads and the last thing you want to do is strip them as you do the nuts up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 22:48   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Just done the same on my 940. The hub removes from the stub axle complete with the bearings, BUT, the inner bearing can fall out so make sure it stays in place as you remove the hub. The hub nut is extremely tight. I suggest that you start it off with the wheels still in the ground. You may need to use a very long breaker bar, possibly with an extension like a piece of scaffolding tube. That worked on my nearside nut but I had to obtain the assistance of a friendly mechanic and his very high torque impact wrench to move the offside one.
My car has ABS so the small bracket which holds the sensor lead needed to be transferred from the old back plate to the new one.
There has been a discussion in another thread about the bolts/screws which secure the back plate to the hub carrier. On my car the nearside ones were round head with a female hex socket but the offside ones were standard hex head screws.
I refitted the old hub nuts with thread lock. The new hub nuts for my 940 are available. (VO 1387624). Torque is 100Nm then 45 degrees. That proved to be the limit of me really leaning on my breaker bar.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian21401; Sep 7th, 2019 at 22:50. Reason: Typo.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 16:55   #5
panda529e699

Thanks for the replies, these are pics of the assembly I have, when I removed the hub, the part sitting on top came out with little effort, not sure if that was what was mentioned. Will this now need the other side extracting and then re-fitting?
Thanks for any info, was pleased to get the new shields fitted, they came off with a bit of heat.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:03   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post

Thanks for the replies, these are pics of the assembly I have, when I removed the hub, the part sitting on top came out with little effort, not sure if that was what was mentioned. Will this now need the other side extracting and then re-fitting?
Thanks for any info, was pleased to get the new shields fitted, they came off with a bit of heat.
New wheel bearing needed now! Even if you get the inner race back in, it's evident of wear in the bearing that it came out in the first place so won't last long.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:29   #7
panda529e699

Default Volvo 740 Front Brake shield

Thanks for the reply, I have priced them and was surprised that the whole thing is in the region of £50 complete with new hub nut, so will get 2, this was from Parts Monster on Ebay, Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:42   #8
panda529e699

The Ebay number is 293190048616 for the hub assembley.
Will order straight away , hope they come soon as its booked in to the garage next Monday to have the alloys refurbished. Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:58   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have you got ABS on yours? If so, those are the wrong ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...t/293190048616

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-700...y/362709735797

First link is to the ones you've bought, second is for the ABS version. In fairness i can't see any evidence of an ABS sensor in your pics other than the hole in the backplate for it.

Must admit, that's a good price for them, when i needed some, there were virtually none available except for about £125 each, spotted a pair newly listed on fleabay (NOS) at £2.99 each + £10 P&P each so snapped them up then and there.

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 18:05   #10
panda529e699

No there is no ABS, I was surprised at the price so have snapped them up, I don't know where the ABS sensor would go, but as you say about the hole , the old brake shield didn't have it hence the washer. Thanks