Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door card options

Views : 801

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:48   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Door card options

When I was in touch with the seller from whom I bought my 960 he told me it had wrinkly door cards[a common problem on these I believe]and so it has,so far I've come up with the following options 1] live with the wrinkly cards 2]I was told at Thoresby hall that there's a chap that can refurbish them[but needs the whole car there to do so and it sounded pretty expensive to have done 3]Try and find a set of non-wrinkly cards -this I assume could be difficult if it's a common problem and then there's the problem of getting them in the right colour-which again is probably fairly expensive and lastly 4]Measure the width from glass to inner edge of door top and length of door card and trawl breakers yards etc to see if "wooden" ones[from the likes of a Jaguar]could be adapted to fit the 960,the problem there[assuming suitably sized ones could be found]would be trying to match the door cappings match the "wood" that's already present on the dash/centre console of the 960.Thoughts are still ongoing about this.Any input welcome.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:57   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

There is someone who sells a patch that goes over the top of the door card, I think Mark posted a link to it a while back now.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 13:08   #3
tofufi
Premier Member

Finding non-crinkly ones isn't so hard. I have read before that only certain years of cars go crinkly as a different glue was used in production.

My brother's '95 940 had crinkly ones which we replaced with others. My '90 740 is wrinkle free.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 16:12   #4
lynns hubby
Master Member

I believe (may be wrong) that it was the later ones that suffered so if you can get the cards from any thing before 1994 you should be OK.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 20:35   #5
slowprop

If anyone has the details of the guy that the OP mentioned who can fix these I'd be interested.
I found someone locally who can apparently do the job but he's messing me about and I'm getting a bit fed up now.
Thanks
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 08:53   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

The gent who told me of the repair service[he'd had one done on his 960] gave me a business card for the repairer.I hope the following is permitted the business is Car Glass and Trim Ltd-carglassand trim.co.uk or phone 01473 214611.Whereabouts they're situated I don't know.HtH.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 11:49   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
The gent who told me of the repair service[he'd had one done on his 960] gave me a business card for the repairer.I hope the following is permitted the business is Car Glass and Trim Ltd-carglassand trim.co.uk or phone 01473 214611.Whereabouts they're situated I don't know.HtH.
That's in the Ipswich area as 01473 is the STD code for Ipswich.

An alternative to finding cars in scrapyards with wooden door cappings is to make your own :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_s...r+sheet&_frs=1

Pick a wood, glue the veneer on to hide the wrinkles and leave it clamped (use long pieces of planed batter to spread the load, both sides) overnight for the glue to fully cure, longer if necessary.
Then maske the rest of the door card and lacquer the veneer and leave for a few days to cure.

Job done!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 19:09   #8
slowprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Thanks I will give them a call and see what they say.
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 19:07   #9
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
I believe (may be wrong) that it was the later ones that suffered so if you can get the cards from any thing before 1994 you should be OK.
The problematic years for door cards is 95-97 and applied to all 900 series. I had a 94L 960 mk1, 94M 960 mk2 and still have a 98R V90, all with perfect door cards.
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 15:36   #10
Camillus

I have a 1986 740 and two of the door cards(black) are wrinkled at the top. Tommy.
Camillus is offline   Reply With Quote