Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help - Sentinel Volvo delaership

Views : 2234

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2023, 12:46   #1
shamek

Default Help - Sentinel Volvo delaership

Hello dear Volvo owners

I am desperately looking for help to resolve the issue i have with Sentinel cars independent Volvo dealership. I've made a decision to purchase a car from them and it turn out to be a horrible experience. Below brief description:

On the 10th of July we've purchase Volvo XC90 (SJ66 FNA) from Sentinel cars dealership, on that day we've paid deposit and signed car finance with Close brothers motor finance. As the car had many deficiencies and was not roadworthy we agreed with dealership that they will make all repair within 7 day and have it ready for collection. Unfortunately after 7 days car was not ready, we've raised concerns with dealership but they were non responsive. After another 6 days we were still unable to collect the car and dealership was not responding to any communication. At this point we were forced to cancel the purchase as we were unable to collect the car

We've informed dealership about the cancellation and we've informed Close brothers motor finance as well. Dealership responded to us via email that they accept cancelation and they will start the process of reverting the car finance but it's clear that they are not doing anything as nothing happen in last 2 months

Summary of current situation:

- On 22.06.2023 (Thursday) we’ve informed dealership that due to not meeting agreed time to repair the car we are withdrawing from purchase
- At this stage dealership had £3000 deposit paid by Us on the 10.06 and all money from Finance company(Close brothers)
- On the 27.06 we’ve received email from dealership indicating course of action(that they will refund) – nothing happen
- It’s 05.08 – almost 6 weeks after dealership is not responding
- on the 14th of July close brother took from account first instalment (£659.41)
- we've never collected the car and we do not posses any documents indicating ownership - we've never finalized purchase
- car is with dealership and all money as well.

I am trying to contact director Matthew Warton but no luck so far and general manager is just not helping at all

What to do?

Last edited by shamek; Aug 12th, 2023 at 12:49.
shamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 14:55   #2
carswaps

There is a UK legal sub section on Reddit, Where you will get all the advice you need on this matter.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/

Just make a account and copy and paste what you have written here.

The least I would do is contact trading standards and also cancel the direct debit/standing order you have set up with the finance company.

Good luck.
carswaps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carswaps For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 16:14   #3
dhr90

If you paid the deposit with a credit card, get your bank involved too as you’ll have protection from them.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 17:05   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

As you have mentioned one of the owners of this particular business I would like to add that I have known that person, together with his father and another partner for many, many years and they have always enjoyed a very fine reputation indeed. I would say that you are best to get in touch and meet up with him and resolve this quickly and amicably to your satisfaction.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 17:57   #5
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carswaps View Post
cancel the direct debit/standing order you have set up with the finance company.
Absolutely do not do that.

You've signed a legally binding agreement with the credit provider, who is not at fault. If you simply stop making payments it won't end well for you, at least not without adding yet more problems for you to resolve. You'll end up in default of the loan and likely receive a credit rating strike which you may or may not be able to do something about later.

Since the car is legally the property of the credit provider, you should contact them immediately and explain that there is a problem with the asset (i.e. the car) on which it is secured and see what assistance they can provide to you.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 18:13   #6
shamek

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
As you have mentioned one of the owners of this particular business I would like to add that I have known that person, together with his father and another partner for many, many years and they have always enjoyed a very fine reputation indeed. I would say that you are best to get in touch and meet up with him and resolve this quickly and amicably to your satisfaction.
Thanks Don Kalmar Union, to be honest with You person that I've mention in my post (Matthew Warton) is fully aware of the issue, I've send multiple emails to sentinel cars with him being one of the recipients and he chose to ignore us completely. We have not seen a single response from him since the issue started 7-8 weeks ago - very disappointing for Sentinel cars to treat customers like that.

Last edited by shamek; Aug 12th, 2023 at 18:27.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 18:16   #7
shamek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Absolutely do not do that.

You've signed a legally binding agreement with the credit provider, who is not at fault. If you simply stop making payments it won't end well for you, at least not without adding yet more problems for you to resolve. You'll end up in default of the loan and likely receive a credit rating strike which you may or may not be able to do something about later.

Since the car is legally the property of the credit provider, you should contact them immediately and explain that there is a problem with the asset (i.e. the car) on which it is secured and see what assistance they can provide to you.
HI, Yes i know that i can't just cancel DD, have to get it done properly. I've contacted Close Brothers Motor Finance but they are not very helpful. I've filed a complaint with Financial ombudsman - waiting for response currently
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 18:19   #8
shamek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
If you paid the deposit with a credit card, get your bank involved too as you’ll have protection from them.
Thanks, that is a good idea, i will try, maybe I'll get my deposit back. In this case i've paid for the product and not received it from the seller so will have to report them to bank as a scam i think?
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 19:48   #9
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamek View Post
- car is with dealership and all money as well.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The vehicle with the registration number you gave above had a new log book issued yesterday (11th Aug) and a new MOT on the 10th. It was taxed in July. Given that dealers can update DLVA registrations online and the updates are immediate, it's possible that it's been sold in the past 24-48 hours.

This might be good news, meaning that the outstanding finance has just been cleared. Or not. I think it's certainly worth contacting the finance company again to find out what the latest situation with your own agreement is.

Even if that is taken care of, it's still going to leave you one deposit and two interest payments out of pocket. Sadly, I can see you having to enter a claim against Sentinel in the claims court, based on what've you've told us and that they aren't responding to you.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 14:45   #10
dhr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamek View Post
Thanks, that is a good idea, i will try, maybe I'll get my deposit back. In this case i've paid for the product and not received it from the seller so will have to report them to bank as a scam i think?
I would call or go to branch, explain the situation and see what they advise, as the terminology may not be ‘scam’, but failure to provide goods or services.

Also make all future communications with the garage in writing or email, so there is a chain of evidence to support your case.