Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Further to the poor idle / cold stumbling

Views : 1411

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:32   #1
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default Further to the poor idle / cold stumbling

I've been posting about my problem with my 98 S70 (2.5 10v auto) having intermittent issues with idling when cold.

So far, I've cleaned out the flame trap housing (numerous times), thoroughly cleaned the throttle body, changed the air filter, tried different plugs, checked the induction hoses for splits / leaks, and cleaned out the IAVC twice.

I've had the fault codes pulled, whilst it was having an oil change. The only code that the garage mentioned was an intermittent vehicle speed sensor fault? Looking in my Haynes manual, it states that the car doesn't have a dedicated one, and merely uses the ABS sensors.

I haven't discounted the IAVC from being at fault - to be honest, when the car is struggling, it does look to be idling to low. It could perhaps be another sensor. The car normally struggles on starting on the days when the problem occurs.

I mentioned to the garage all the things I'd checked so far - they're initial thoughts were that it would be some sensor. They suggested that an induction leak would be problematic all the time, rather than intermittently.

Any thoughts?
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 20:50   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Default RE: Further to the poor idle / cold stumbling

I would suggest that the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor signals are monitored for condition using an oscilloscope.

Also check the condition of the wiring to these sensors.

Other than that, try subsituting known good sensors.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:48   #3
liuleichan
Premier Member

>I would suggest that the crankshaft position sensor and the
>camshaft position sensor signals are monitored for condition
>using an oscilloscope.
>
>Also check the condition of the wiring to these sensors.
>
>Other than that, try subsituting known good sensors.

I have thought about the cam position sensor - especially given the occasional hard starting.

However, having looked at all the codes available, if an individual sensor were failing - and given there seems plenty of different codes for each sensor - wouldn't I likely have codes specific to any failing (even if intermittent) sensors?

I can't help but think maybe it is the IACV. When you look inside, there's a metal valve that moves slightly when you tip the motor.

Should that move quite freely and more than just a slight bit? Should the area that it covers, be opened and closed by simply tipping the motor? Or would that only happen under electronic direction?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:21   #4
sholtby
Premier Member

The IACV does have a part inside that is free to move ie if you shake the whole valve it swings from side to side within the valve.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:31   #5
liuleichan
Premier Member

>The IACV does have a part inside that is free to move ie if
>you shake the whole valve it swings from side to side within
>the valve.

How much movement should there be?

If you have the valve / motor off the car, and look down the pipe with the moving part, when you move it, should it completely open up that pipe?

Because on mine, it does move, but only moves a little bit, and not enough to properly open the gap, it merely moves a few mm.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:44   #6
sholtby
Premier Member

Its been too long since I had mine off to be sure. But I think it was more than a couple of mm. I just remember at the time that it seemed strange how loose the valve was and when I shook the whole valve you could hear it rattle.
Try drowning it with WD40 and push the valve gently with a screwdriver to see if it is still seized. Or wait and see if someone else can give you a better reply on how much movement there is.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 13:48   #7
liuleichan
Premier Member

>Its been too long since I had mine off to be sure. But I
>think it was more than a couple of mm. I just remember at the
>time that it seemed strange how loose the valve was and when I
>shook the whole valve you could hear it rattle.

I noticed that bit when handling it - you could feel it move.

>Try drowning it with WD40 and push the valve gently with a
>screwdriver to see if it is still seized.

I used carb cleaner, and WD40, and did try pushing it with a screwdriver, but didn't want to force anything.

Through the other pipe, there was a bit of gunk on what looks to be a circular bearing surface? That didn't seem to get properly clean, despite much spraying.

>Or wait and see if
>someone else can give you a better reply on how much movement
>there is.

Anybody else remember?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 18:07   #8
colm.deasy

Hi there,

I have had poor idling before. I tried all the things mentioned already to no avail. Having said that, it was great to be able to clear out the throttle body...the amount of gunk was incredible. I digress!

If I were you I would try and change out the Mass Air Flow sensor for a known good one. I changed mine out last weekend and the difference was unbelieveable. I got the MAF sensor out of a 176k car for my own car (138k) and it has been wonderful.

Check to ensure that the flame trap piping is back together properly. This has caused issues for me as well in the past.

Another thing, after looking at your throttle body, did you replace the gasket with a new one? There could be air leaking there!

I have also heard (going to try and confirm this weekend) that the injector seals can cause issues. I have pulled mine out several times without any issues but I think I'll order some new ones up and put them in this weekend nonetheless.

Best of luck,

Colm
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 20:35   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The 10v does not have a MAF.

The idle air valve should be quite free and should move to completely open and close the shutter when the outside case is moved.
If yours does not then I would think this is the cause of your problem.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:28   #10
liuleichan
Premier Member

>The 10v does not have a MAF.

Quite - it has a MAP.

>The idle air valve should be quite free and should move to
>completely open and close the shutter when the outside case is
>moved.

By that do you mean that when looking through the pipe where you can see it, you should be able to make it fully open and close?

>If yours does not then I would think this is the cause of your
>problem.

Many thanks, that gives my much to go on.

If I can't make it work, I'll buy another one.