Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear box shifts late

Views : 738

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 00:23   #1
jorhyne

Default Gear box shifts late

I am not sure which gearbox I have so I selected the first one that was listed in the subject. I have a 89 240 with a automatic. In another thread below regarding starter removal I posted my problem with removing the starter, and finally got that solved. In my earlier attempts to remove one of the starter bolts (before I came to this forum) I caused a malfunction in the shifting of the gears. Prior to me removing the starter the car would shift into 3rd and 4th at 2500 RPM if I would let off the gas a little, otherwise it would shift on its own at those gears at about 3000 RPM. Don't ask me why letting off the gas causes it to shift sooner. Now after my starter removal and reinstall the car shifts when I let off the gas at about 2750 RPM, in other words it revs a bit higher before I can shift, which is annoying.

In my earlier futile attempts to get to the starter bolt my extensions and ratchet were making contact with the shifter linkage and the bracket that the linkage is attached to right below where the shifter rod enters the gear box. I even tried to remove the bracket to allow more room with my tools but I could not get the bracket off after removing the nut that holds the shifter rod to the bracket.

My question is, how do I go about getting the car to shift sooner like it did before? I assume me trying to remove the bracket or my tools making contact with the linkage caused this issue. I don't want to go bending the rod or adjust the bracket and make things worse (without knowing what I'm doing). This is probably a one of a kind problem but maybe someone has some insights into this. On a related note, why does letting off the gas cause the car to shift sooner?

Last edited by jorhyne; Oct 21st, 2007 at 01:12.
jorhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 02:11   #2
jorhyne

I think I have discovered the problem. I was working in the engine bay trying to get to the starter bolt from the top and damaged the kickdown cable. I will replace the cable and see if that solves the problem.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 03:07   #3
jorhyne

Update, I examined the cable under the hood again and noticed it looked a little out of place. I bent it to where I thought it should be and now the car shifts like before. I still have to take my foot off the gas to get it to shift at 2500 so I think the cable needs adjusting or replacing still to get it to shift properly. I just read about cable replacement and that looks like a real bugger of a job!

Last edited by jorhyne; Oct 21st, 2007 at 03:30.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:58   #4
morsing
Premier Member

Hi, I don't understand why you think there's something wrong? The cable doesn't need replacing for sure with what you're describing.

Taking your foot off the gas pushes the cable back which lowers the pressure needed to shift. Perfectly normal and how it should work. You can't change that.

If you want it to change lower you need to adjust the cable where it leaves the throttle body wheel. Follow the procedure for kick-down cable adjustment here:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Tran...ble_Adjustment

P.S. Your transmission is AW70/71
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 21:05   #5
jorhyne

Thanks for the link and your info. Sounds like I just need a cable adjustment.