Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interested to put 1980 265GLE engine into 1975 264GL

Views : 580

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 00:38   #1
Big Adam

Default Interested to put 1980 265GLE engine into 1975 264GL

I have 1980 265GLE with excellent condition engine (apparently it was rebuilt couple of years ago) but car is kept just for parts and beautiful 1975 264GL with very good engine also. But I noticed 265GLE engine was much more powerful and quieter. As my 264GL car as whole is in great condition (i use it every day and I love it) and I keep 265GL for parts only, I am seriuosly considering to put 265GL engine (and automatic transmission) into my 264 car. Is that possible ? Is that technically hard or easy operation ? I have to do it by myself - I am not interested to pay workshops. Other question is: does anybody know any modifications possible to carry out on 1980 V6 engine to make it more powerful ? Like replacing some "funny" camshafts or high power ignition coil or fitting high flow air filter or higher compression pistons or...any other ideas ?
BTW: what is normal, expected fuel consumption on 264-265 V6 ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Big Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:41   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

As you have both cars a swap is definitely feasible. It is not one I have personally done - but should be straightforward although I would imagine the two will have different engine management systems. The great thing about the 240s is that normally it is quite straightforward altering a car from one spec to another. Be prepared to swap engine looms across between the two cars and some other wiring. The Green book wiring diagrams for both years will make this much easier. It sosunds a good swap to me.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote